wait to go to encampment?

Started by whatevah, February 21, 2005, 12:15:42 AM

ctrossen

How long should a cadet wait until attending encampment?

It all depends on that cadet. There is no "pat" answer.

As a Squadron Commander, and as someone who's spent many years as Commandant of Cadets at the Wisconsin Encampment, I wouldn't recommend sending someone who's been a member for less than, say, six months. Certainly not someone who hasn't earned their first stripe.

Now, there have been some cases where a member has been around for some time, but in conference with a cadet's parents, we decided that individual just wasn't ready for encampment that year. And in cases like that, we're talking about a cadet that's just too young and/or immature to handle the program (getting up at 0600, making bunks, marching around all day, etc.).

On the flip side, units have sent cadet members who just weren't ready to handle the program. Sometimes, they're able to tough it out, but they leave with a negative impression - they ended up so far behind the "curve" that they gave up. Sometimes they turn around and become impressive cadets. And sometimes they just can't cut it and we have to send them home - hopefully to come back the next year.

There's no magical age or level of experience. It all depends upon the individual. If there's any question at all, you need to talk with that cadet's parents and get their point of view. Perhaps you have the cadet wait a year. It's far less an issue for putting encampment off a year when you're talking a 12-year-old cadet - there's PLENTY of time left in their careers to go back.

(And for the record, I attended my first encampment at 13, went to a total of 7 encampments as a cadet -- and a whole lot more as a senior. )
Chris Trossen, Lt Col, CAP
Agency Liaison
Wisconsin Wing

MIKE

Quote from: ctrossen on September 08, 2006, 11:00:49 PM
Certainly not someone who hasn't earned their first stripe.

That's kind of a given since it is required by CAPR 52-16.

Quote from: ctrossen on September 08, 2006, 11:00:49 PM
On the flip side, units have sent cadet members who just weren't ready to handle the program. Sometimes, they're able to tough it out, but they leave with a negative impression - they ended up so far behind the "curve" that they gave up. Sometimes they turn around and become impressive cadets. And sometimes they just can't cut it and we have to send them home - hopefully to come back the next year.

I think it might be a bit of a shock to the system for a cadet who is only a month or so into the program.  Ink on the CAPF 15 is still wet and he/she is standing there wondering what they got themselves into...  The experience, good or bad, ends up being the deciding factor in them staying with the program afterward.
Mike Johnston

c/LTCOLorbust

I don't know how your Encampments are but over here in WA Wing they are bit to harsh for a normal 12-13 year old kid. Even just the 5 in the morning late at night hours throw them off and makes it a bit more unstable then they need. I mean not to say encampmnet it to hard, its not some may even be to easy but thats not without saying 12 and 13 year olds have so much on their plates as it is going through the first teenage years that encampment some times is a strsser to the breaking point. If the cadet shows that they know everthing they need to and understands what goes on and as do the parents its fine but some cadets we try to hold off because they get the picture from some of our more laidback SMs that encampment is just like summer camp... Well I have no idea what summer camp they have been to but it is nothing of the sort. I mean when your Flight Sgt acts like this  >:D you may be in for a ride.
1Lt. Joshua M. Bergland
Yakima Composite SQ.
WA Wing

Psicorp

My first encampment was as a c/SSGT...and I was still wondering what I had gotten myself into :)  

It's my feeling that, especially with drill work, that you may understand the basic fundamentals, but after that first encampment, you know them....and more importantly, you know why.  There's nothing quite like standing in formation when you're just one cadet in a pretty good sized flight that's only one flight in one squadron that's only one squadron in the whole wing.  

It's a total sense of belonging that is really hard to grasp when you're only one of maybe eight other kids showing up to a meeting every week.

So definately...go when you have the first opportunity.  Go twice...bring a friend, hell, bring an enemy and pay him/her back :)

As far as affordability...Encampments can be sponsored by corporations to help bring down the cost.  Something else that can be done is fundraisers.  What we did when I was a cadet was have a couple of car washes.  The total number of hours worked by all the cadets was divided by the amount of money raised.  Each cadet got "paid" based upon how many hours she/he worked at the car wash.  That money went against the cost of the encampment for each cadet.

Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Psicorp

Quote from: c/LTCOLorbust on September 09, 2006, 01:19:10 AM
I don't know how your Encampments are but over here in WA Wing they are bit to harsh for a normal 12-13 year old kid. Even just the 5 in the morning late at night hours throw them off and makes it a bit more unstable then they need. I mean not to say encampmnet it to hard, its not some may even be to easy but thats not without saying 12 and 13 year olds have so much on their plates as it is going through the first teenage years that encampment some times is a strsser to the breaking point. If the cadet shows that they know everthing they need to and understands what goes on and as do the parents its fine but some cadets we try to hold off because they get the picture from some of our more laidback SMs that encampment is just like summer camp... Well I have no idea what summer camp they have been to but it is nothing of the sort. I mean when your Flight Sgt acts like this  >:D you may be in for a ride.

Am I the only one who's referred to Encampments as "a week of Air Force basic training"?    People tend to know exactly the kind of thing you're talking about when you put it that way.

As far as how rough it is, I think that's why having a TACO assigned to each flight is important; to reign in the cadet staff if need be, or to provide counselling/assistance to cadets showing signs of stress (as well as yelling, "Don't lock your knees!!")

Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

A1Steaksauce

Well I think that Cadets should be at least a C/SrA before attending encampment. This way they have to have been in the program for at least 6 months and they know most basic info. But on the flip side I think that encampment should be a requirement for C/MSgt so they don't end up going to encampment as a C/CMSgt like I did. And I think that encampment age limit should be 14 so younger cadets don't hold back the majority.
.......There's my two cents..........

Becks

I disagree, I say as long as you have a stripe, go ahead and go.

BBATW

capchiro

It has been my experience that our cadet retention rate is higher for the cadets that go to encampment than the ones that don't.  I also think it is okay to send fairly new/young cadets to encampment as it sends them back with a new appreciation of the program.  JMHO
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

ncc1912

Quote from: Psicorp on September 09, 2006, 01:26:35 AM
Am I the only one who's referred to Encampments as "a week of Air Force basic training"?    People tend to know exactly the kind of thing you're talking about when you put it that way.

As far as how rough it is, I think that's why having a TACO assigned to each flight is important; to reign in the cadet staff if need be, or to provide counselling/assistance to cadets showing signs of stress (as well as yelling, "Don't lock your knees!!")

It really isn't supposed to be "rough," but a fun, learning experience and a orientation into time management, attention to detail, followership/leadership and teamwork.  ...And not just for the basics, but for the cadet and adult staff, as well.  If done properly, the encampment can do that for every attendant regardless of age and rank.

I've been through a few encampments; some "rough" and some not so intense.  I've also had the privilege of attending Air Force Basic Military Training (BMT), and honestly, some of the rough and easy encampments were no where near BMT on both ends of the spectrum.  I wouldn't use that analogy so liberally.
//SIGNED//
JUSTIN B. BAIER, Major, CAP
"Dislocated Member"
Civil Air Patrol - United States Air Force Auxiliary
Active-duty USAF
Seoul, Republic of Korea