Johnson Flight Encampment 2008

Started by Cmdbuddy, May 31, 2008, 10:27:52 PM

Cmdbuddy

Christie Ducote, Capt, CAP

Capt_Redfox30

In spirit I will be there, if not physically!
Kirk Thirtyacre, Lt Col, CAP
(Acting) Group Commander
Group 3 HQ

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

Capt_Redfox30

http://jfe.ilwg.cap.gov/

It is a flight academy run by Illinois wing to help teach the cadets basic of flight.  There are three areas, Power, Glider and Balloon.  It is a week long and the Seniors teach the basics of flight and get them as many hours in the aircraft as possible in the time frame allowed.  The encampment has been running for I believe 43 years now.   
(Acting) Group Commander
Group 3 HQ

Earhart1971

Quote from: Capt_Redfox30 on June 01, 2008, 03:20:31 AM

It is a flight academy run by Illinois wing to help teach the cadets basic of flight.  There are three areas, Power, Glider and Balloon.  It is a week long and the Seniors teach the basics of flight and get them as many hours in the aircraft as possible in the time frame allowed.  The encampment has been running for I believe 43 years now.   

That is very interesting, and I hope more of these Encampments can develop.

Years ago:

In 1971 there was CAP Flying Encampment License, I believe it was 3 or 4 weeks.

In Oklahoma, The Airman Flight School was contracted to Fly CAP Cadets.

Requirements were 20 hours of previous flying

Soloed

And FAA Private Written Passed.

Everybody got their License, was about 40 or 50 Cadets. I had my Pilots license that Summer.

This sounds like something close to that.

One guy did not have his written passed, and they let him go ahead and take it once again or else. He passed.

A Pilots License these days is north of 7 Grand. Figure $110 per hour Aircraft and $30 for Instructor per hour.

arajca

I've been there twice as a cadet - back when it was just the Illinois Wing Flight Encampment. I did the powered track - didn't solo. Nother Nature had other plans and kept popping thunderstorms after lunch, most of which were dropping wall clouds and funnel clouds - no touchdowns, though. Second time I did the balloon track - soloed. Talk about a sense of freedom in flight. Mostly quiet, tranquil, no breeze felt. If you haven't been ballooning, I highly recommend you try it.

DC

Quote from: arajca on June 01, 2008, 03:27:28 PM

I've been there twice as a cadet - back when it was just the Illinois Wing Flight Encampment. I did the powered track - didn't solo. Nother Nature had other plans and kept popping thunderstorms after lunch, most of which were dropping wall clouds and funnel clouds - no touchdowns, though. Second time I did the balloon track - soloed. Talk about a sense of freedom in flight. Mostly quiet, tranquil, no breeze felt. If you haven't been ballooning, I highly recommend you try it.
Just out of curiosity does soloing in a balloon qualify you for solo wings? Does a glider solo?

arajca

Yes. Ref CAPR 60-1, section 3-2 b. (1).

When I got my balloon solo, we were awarded half-wings. They took the balloon pilot wing and removed the right (inner) wing. This was back in the 80's and we didn't have access to the vast array of information to make sure we were in compliance with regs...

Cmdbuddy

I've been twice.  Once as balloon (loved it), and once as glider advanced to finish off my rating.  Unfortunately, mother nature had other plans for me as well... tried to take the check ride twice (within 2 weeks)... got the oral done, but the weather didn't cooperate both days.

Still don't have the rating done :(

BillB

The half wing you describe was the authorized wing for completing either the Delta or Eastern Airlines Stewardess Schools.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

arajca

Quote from: BillB on June 02, 2008, 11:53:43 AM
The half wing you describe was the authorized wing for completing either the Delta or Eastern Airlines Stewardess Schools.
Not in this case. It was not a regular pilot wing cut off, it was a balloon wing - it had the balloon, not the circle.

Eclipse

Above are the current ones, right?

To put in a plug for Johnson, you'd be hard-pressed to find better bang for your flight-instruction buck, and the staff and crews are all top-notch, literally some of the recognized best in the country.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

They are the current balloon pilot wing. Lop off the viewer's left wing and you'll have what we were issued and told to wear.
At the time, I think ILWG had more balloon solo pilots than CAP ha balloon pilots. ;D

Cmdbuddy

Quote from: Eclipse on June 02, 2008, 03:23:21 PM
To put in a plug for Johnson, you'd be hard-pressed to find better bang for your flight-instruction buck, and the staff and crews are all top-notch, literally some of the recognized best in the country.

Agreed.  The Encampment is very well run, and the instructors are amazing.

I'll be Commandant this year

It says something when this is the only activity I do while on my "inactiveness" with school.  Going up to IL for the weeks in the summer is like a family reunion to me.

Capt_Redfox30

I would like to agree, The Senior Staff is one of the finest that you can find in CAP.  I have worked with them for four years.  Once as a cadet and three as a senior and you cant find anyone more knowledgeable or caring about aerospace than the pilots that are at the encampment.  I am sad that I am going to miss out this year.  They are a great group of folks to work with. 
(Acting) Group Commander
Group 3 HQ

Cmdbuddy

Well, I'm about to head out.  Can't wait to see my second family up in IL!

For anybody that has been involved in the Encampment in the past, I wanted to inform you of a recent passing of one of our finest flight instructors.  Captain Walter "Wally" Gleason passed away last week. 

Wally was one of the finest CAP had to offer.  Year after year (we are still trying to figure out how many years he has been participating, but we know it is over 25), Wally has dedicated himself to helping cadets learn how to fly.  I've known Wally for over five years, and last year became really close with him while preparing for my glider check ride. 

Blue skies, Wally.  I'll miss you.

flynd94

Christine,

I admire you for going back to ILWG and, helping out with the flight encampment.  I had the pleasure of attending the Flight Encampment 1986-1988.  I was lucky enough to solo in each track each year.  I was there the year after Lt Col Johnson passed away in a airplane crash.

I have many fond memories, flying the "lead sled", with my instructor Babe.  He flew gliders in WWII a nd, was there for D-Day.  Maybe some year I will go back and teach.  Enjoy Eastern IL, Mattoon and, the humidity.

Keith Stason, Maj, CAP
IC3, AOBD, GBD, PSC, OSC, MP, MO, MS, GTL, GTM3, UDF, MRO
Mission Check Pilot, Check Pilot

Eclipse

Did you see the Johnson article on NOTF?

Thankfully it was positive

I suppose any press is good press, but I'd just as soon steer clear of that particular source.

"That Others May Zoom"

Cmdbuddy

Yea, I was a large part of that article :-)

The article was actually written by an EIU student for the school newspaper.  I don't know how NOTF got a hold of it.

Eclipse

Some wire service or blog most likely.

"That Others May Zoom"