Medical Staff @ Wing Encampments

Started by PhoenixDCC, April 26, 2010, 01:41:33 PM

Ned

Quote from: Gung Ho on April 29, 2010, 04:06:46 PM
We should do what we can to protect our own.

Of course we do.  In a true "life or limb" emergency, every CAP member is authorized to perform first aid and emergency care within the limits of their training.

And we have a lot of trained first responders in our ranks.

IOW, the regulation already allows any CAP member to render emergency care with whatever equipment they have.

What was your point?

Gung Ho

Should have added I've helped with sick call for the army when and unit I'm a member of (not CAP) has been deployed together. CAP does not need to have a group doing sick calls because after doing this for the army I can only imagine what it would be like for CAP

Gung Ho

Quote from: Ned on April 29, 2010, 04:10:19 PM
We should do what we can to protect our own.

Of course we do.  In a true "life or limb" emergency, every CAP member is authorized to perform first aid and emergency care within the limits of their training.

And we have a lot of trained first responders in our ranks.

IOW, the regulation already allows any CAP member to render emergency care with whatever equipment they have.

What was your point?
All I'm trying to say is some in this post sounded like they want us to only depend on calling 911 for help and I just want those to remember we need to do what we can to protect our own. Because you never know where help will come from.

mynetdude

We should do what we can to protect our own. 911 doesn't always work. Last year there was a child that fell into a pool, 911 was called. Ambulance is based only 5 blocks from this house but yet it took 45 min's to get and ambulance there. Why?
Because when they dialed 911 it was routed to the wrong 911 center and it took that long to get it figured out. Now this was a house in townwith a fixed address. What do you think could happen if we are out and about who knows where? Out hunting down and ELT in the middle of no where or God knows where. How fast can 911 help? I'm not saying we need medical staff with us at all times but what if there was a member that was trained as and EMT or paramedic? And we alowed him to have his basic equipment with him. No we don't need to have a staffed medical unit but I sure feel we need to embrace what or who is out there now.

Does the GTM/GTL SQTR require first aid? Flight Line Marshalling does and IIRC as a UDF trainee you're supposed to have first aid but to qualify it isn't required or maybe I am confusing that with another SQTR

Either way, it seems that the GT SQTR would require first aid so you don't have to call 911 every time you're out in the field unless one of your members in the team incurs a life threatening condition that requires immediate care.

N Harmon

Quote from: mynetdude on April 29, 2010, 05:15:02 PM
Does the GTM/GTL SQTR require first aid?

All ground team members are required to be first aid qualified. That training is for the unlikely event that someone incurs a life threatening injury that requires immediate care. It is not, however, for the purpose of making what would normally call for 911...not call for 911 any more.

I would like to see CAP adopt wilderness first responder as an advanced medical qualification for ground teams.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

isuhawkeye

WFR is excellent training, and a great program, but CAP will continue to cringe at the idea of CAP members providign care. 

Star-Maker

Quote from: isuhawkeye on April 29, 2010, 07:09:00 PM
WFR is excellent training, and a great program, but CAP will continue to cringe at the idea of CAP members providign care. 

NESA has a class that trains GTM/L to Wilderness Advanced First Aid level.  Are those trained in immediate or advanced first aid allowed to provide that level of care, or is that considered too much because it's beyond basic?
"The star-maker says 'It ain't so bad.'" - The Killers

GTL, GTM1, UDF, MRO

CUL(T), MS(T), MSA(T)