Grog

Started by Kayll'b, January 22, 2019, 09:09:15 PM

Kayll'b

Hey, I am Mr vice for our Squadron's dining out. what the should I put in the grog?  >:D
C/Capt

Mitchell # 69847

Squadron Cadet Leadership officer

GCAC Recorder

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Spam

Kayll'b, please forgive me for going slightly off topic:

For members of Georgia Wing reading this and getting any ideas, a reminder that the Commander has disallowed grog bowls at all GA Wing events. If y'all have questions, please address them through channels.

Thanks
Spam

Holding Pattern

The grog was literally my worst experience in CAP as a cadet. There is no reason to subject a cadet to this ever.

N6RVT

Quote from: Kayll'b on January 22, 2019, 09:09:15 PM
Hey, I am Mr vice for our Squadron's dining out. what the should I put in the grog?  >:D
Broken dreams and empty promises.

Huey Driver

Quote from: Holding Pattern on January 22, 2019, 11:20:48 PM
The grog was literally my worst experience in CAP as a cadet. There is no reason to subject a cadet to this ever.

Conversely, the grog resembles some of my most fun and memorable times a cadet. But did it serve a legitimate purpose? No, and it certainly falls within the realm of hazing. There just isn't a place for it within CAP's modern standards of practice.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

NIN

"Two fingers from the bowl of social grace"
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

TheSkyHornet

Here we go again...

Paul Creed III

Grogs are prohibited in my AOR. Pure hazing, plain and simple.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

jeders

Quote from: Kayll'b on January 22, 2019, 09:09:15 PM

Grog's can be an excellent, fun, and camaraderie building part of a social event or they can make it so that no one wants to visit the next social event. When done right, a grog is enjoyed by everyone and absolutely not in any way even remotely close to hazing; the key is doing it right.

The last time we did one we used:

• The sweat from a cadets blues uniform (purple powerade)
  • Blood collected from an obstacle course (Dr. Pepper)
  • Sand from cadets' boots after a 20 mile ruck march (cane sugar)

All of this was placed in a CLEAN stainless steel bowl which was itself placed inside of a CLEAN (as in unused) toilet.

Some of the cadets were a little apprehensive at first, but by the end of the night everyone wanted to get sent to the grog bowl because it tasted so good. In fact, as the President of the Mess, I waved my own immunity to the grog and was the last person to visit it that night.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Ned

It is my hope that no senior would permit any sort of noxious grog as a CPP issue, but I suppose a "simulated noxious grog"  (where Mr. Vice and minions appear to make a horrible drink, but through various sleights of hand the offending ingredients are not actually added to the punch) is not a violation per se.

But I find the whole notion of "forced drinking" to be distasteful, and as others have pointed out it is rooted firmly in an alcoholic tradition that is wholly inappropriate for cadets.  So although we do not have a specific rule that prohibits "grog" ceremonies, I would personally discourage it.

I have added eliminating grog to the "next time we revise the 60-1" file for consideration.

Ned Lee
Col, CAP
National Cadet Program Manager

Paul Creed III

Quote from: Ned on January 23, 2019, 07:34:52 PM
It is my hope that no senior would permit any sort of noxious grog as a CPP issue, but I suppose a "simulated noxious grog"  (where Mr. Vice and minions appear to make a horrible drink, but through various sleights of hand the offending ingredients are not actually added to the punch) is not a violation per se.

But I find the whole notion of "forced drinking" to be distasteful, and as others have pointed out it is rooted firmly in an alcoholic tradition that is wholly inappropriate for cadets.  So although we do not have a specific rule that prohibits "grog" ceremonies, I would personally discourage it.

I have added eliminating grog to the "next time we revise the 60-1" file for consideration.

Ned Lee
Col, CAP
National Cadet Program Manager

Well said, Col Lee.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

BHeck73

The last time i encountered it (2 years ago at an encampment of not my own wing) it was a bunch of fruit juice, jello, soda, and salt. As the only SM sent to the grog i can attest it wasn't bad. Done this way I think its fine.

But yes it can come close to hazing if not properly managed, and sour future members.

Eclipse

It took me a single 5-second Google search to find CAP cadets and leaders in uniform drinking from
a toilet bowl.

Do with that what you will in these hyper-sensitive times.

"That Others May Zoom"

Color Guard Rifleman

Quote from: Eclipse on January 23, 2019, 08:20:30 PM
It took me a single 5-second Google search to find CAP cadets and leaders in uniform drinking from
a toilet bowl.

Do with that what you will in these hyper-sensitive times.

No there isn't. I just searched every possible phrase that can relate to such and there is nothing
C/SMSgt Murphy Killeen, CAP
2019 MIWG Encampment Squadron 2 First Sergeant
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

Luis R. Ramos

It took me a little longer than it took Eclipse, about three searches but little less than a minute.

"Civil Air Patrol and toilet bowl" then limit it to images gave me this:

http://omahacomposite.nebraskacivilairpatrol.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/017.jpg

And there are others. Disgusting.

>:(

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

chuckmilam

Such a visceral reaction to ginger ale.  Sheesh.  I mean, I know it's not everyone's favorite, but it's not as disgusting as say, Tab Cola.

Luis R. Ramos

Its not the drink, its the container!

>:D

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

And if it was Ginger Ale, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on January 23, 2019, 09:23:54 PM
Its not the drink, its the container!

>:D

Well then you would have really not approved of what my Air Force unit used at our "Combat" Dining In's (Combat = Flight Suits/ABU's).
A toilet and a urinal. CE says they are both brand new right out of the box. The medics said they were clean.