Main Menu

Unit Patch Ideas

Started by Pulsar, October 28, 2013, 09:07:35 PM

Pulsar

Our squadron is almost 3 years old now. We have been trying to come up with a new patch. Any Ideas?
Here is a little bit of info about our squadron:
1. It is relatively small with about 8 -10 active cadets currently.
2. We are located near a river and in a valley.
3. Our unofficial squadron name is: "Valley Birds"
4. ??

Could you give us some Ideas for coming up with a patch?
C/LtCol Neutron Star
PAWG ENC 2013/ AMMA 2014/ NER W RCLS 2014-5 [Salutatorian] / NER Powered Flight Academy 2015

"A fiery strength inspires their lives, An essence that from heaven
derives,..." - Vergil, The Aeneid

(C) Copyright 2013: Readers who choose to hardcopy my comments are entitled to specific rights, namely: you may print them off and read them repeatedly until you have memorized them and then rattle them off as if you had thought them up yourself; However if asked, you must say they were signaled to you from a neutron star.

RogueLeader

Take a look at the AF Heraldry Guidelines (note that these are only guideline, and not mandatory).

Squadrons use the Rounds, not the shield. IIRC, Shields are reserved for Wing Level units and above.

try not to make them too complicated, some of the detail gets lost in the embroidery, and can get real expensive with too many colors/complexity.

Other than that, use your imagination.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

arajca

Use the disc shape with arcs above and below.
Above you can put a motto or nickname
Below, put the squadron name.
Don't get to detailed. Computer graphics programs can turn out very detailed artwork, but details do not do well for embroidery.

Is there a unique geographical feature you can use?

Include the triangle and prop logo somewhere if possible, but not as a main element.

Check out various heraldic sites and find the guide for USAF unit emblems. I don't have it on hand, but I'm sure someone can provide it.

Pylon

I also agree that you should stick to the standard squadron-shaped patch, which is circular with "rockers" above and below, as the others above have already mentioned.

The elements in your squadron emblem and colors you choose ideally have some sort of significance.  Maybe the colors of your city or a prominent school or military unit you're located at, for example.  The images/elements on your patch could also represent both the area you're from (prominent geographical elements or buildings, state or local emblems or official mascots/animals/plants/etc.) and/or the missions your squadron focuses on (cadet programs could be represented by traditional educational elements like academic lamps, torches, etc.; aerospace education could be represented by darts and swooping arcs or wings; SAR could be represented by radio beacon waves, or the underlined "LL" symbol; aerial photography could be represented by a stylized eye or camera icon; ARCHER could be represented by a light cone descending down from above; ad infinitum).

What you end up with is a unique mix of who your unit really is and what you do, instead of some random image that means nothing to your members like borrowed military imagery.

For one of many examples, you can see the meaning behind the images and colors I used to design my squadron's patch on this page: http://oswegocap.org/about/squadron-history/
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

Have members of your unit submit ideas, either just elements or colors, or actual designs.

Pick and choose the best ideas.

If you get something on a napkin there are people here who can help you get it press-ready, but
we don't know anything about your unit or it's history, so have no place to start.

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

Quote from: Pylon on October 28, 2013, 10:24:12 PM
I also agree that you should stick to the standard squadron-shaped patch, which is circular with "rockers" above and below, as the others above have already mentioned.

I agree with the standard Squadron patch. Anything else looks unprofessional.

Are you close to Hershey? That would be interesting. Any famous landmarks?

JK657

what does your current patch look like? Maybe it just needs "updating" as opposed to a whole new patch

Panache

When thinking up / designing artwork or a logo, don't use any art or characters that are copyrighted.  Also, avoid the temptation to make it "topical".  While you all may get a laugh from that reference about twerking now, don't forget that this is something that the people in your squadron will be wearing for years, or decades to come.

I see you're in PAWG.  Here is a link to some various patch designs currently in use in PA:  http://www.scribd.com/doc/81718073/PA-Wing-Groups-and-Squadrons-with-unit-PATCHes 

(I personally like the one for Squadron 601, the Washington Composite Squadron.  The knight riding a bomb like a horse has a very Dr. Strangelove vibe to it.)

THRAWN

Here is a link to the hearaldry guide: http://www.afhra.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-130506-005.pdf

Squadrons use the runds, any unit with a HQ element (groups on up) use the shields. Nothing drives me battier than a squadron with a shield. Looks carefully at the colors, they have very specific meanings and you want to use something that ties your organization to the larger organization. Use simple designs. If you're going to make physical patches, complex designs and fine details don't show up. When I've done it, I used MS Publisher as the design tool. Good luck!
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Pulsar

Quote from: JK657 on October 29, 2013, 03:41:18 AM
what does your current patch look like? Maybe it just needs "updating" as opposed to a whole new patch
sorry
I guess I wasn't clear. we don't have a patch, we're trying to come up with one
C/LtCol Neutron Star
PAWG ENC 2013/ AMMA 2014/ NER W RCLS 2014-5 [Salutatorian] / NER Powered Flight Academy 2015

(C) Copyright 2013: Readers who choose to hardcopy my comments are entitled to specific rights, namely: you may print them off and read them repeatedly until you have memorized them and then rattle them off as if you had thought them up yourself; However if asked, you must say they were signaled to you from a neutron star.

JC004

Bob...don't you have guidelines that you wrote up, which you could attach for the cadet and others to use as a guide, if though they aren't policy here?

Eclipse

Quote from: JC004 on October 29, 2013, 03:40:37 PM
Bob...don't you have guidelines that you wrote up, which you could attach for the cadet and others to use as a guide, if though they aren't policy here?

I think I had just posted my wing's supp (currently going 404) which was a combo of the USAF-HRA guidelines and the supp itself.

Here is the current version of the guidelines:  http://www.afhra.af.mil/documents/hgc3/index.asp

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Pulsar on October 29, 2013, 01:24:37 PM
Quote from: JK657 on October 29, 2013, 03:41:18 AM
sorry
I guess I wasn't clear. we don't have a patch, we're trying to come up with one
Well then it is more or less wide open.

The question is....what do you and your squadron mates want to use to symbolize your unit.

You can go as simple as having your unit number...to as complex as getting a full on heraldry session going with 900 different elements all meaning something special.

For cost and time sake.....keep it simple....keep it round (I think CAP is going to adopt USAF rules so might a well follow them now and not have to change them again in five years).

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

ProdigalJim

Pulsar, you got some really good advice here, especially from Pylon.

We just this summer launched a "new" patch which, while new in many respects, actually revives elements of an older, beloved patch. The patch we had been using had no particular heraldic significance to the squadron or its members, and was "forced" on the membership several commanders ago in a very bad way. It left a bad taste in many mouths for those who were members at the time, and for new members, the patch didn't "mean" anything one way or the other, either through heraldry or tradition.

A couple of points that might help you as you think through your own patch along the lines Pylon suggested:

We're based in Prince William County, which was named for an actual Prince William back in the colonial days. So we incorporated some Prince William heraldic symbols, just as the present county government does. There's a knight's helmet from William's crest, which not only ties us to our geographical namesake, but reminds us of a heritage of chivalry.

The dominating feature of the patch is a red-and-white checkerboard chevron, pointing up and dividing the patch into two regions. Pointing skyward, it symbolizes the unit's continuing efforts toward betterment. The checkered pattern of the chevron is reminiscent of the checkered flag marking the end of a race for a triumphant competitor. As a competitive spirit is the cornerstone of Prince William's strategy for achievement, this pattern is very significant.

Three stars in the upper part of the patch symbolize the three principal missions of CAP: Aerospace Education, Emergency Services and Cadet Program. Our motto, in Latin, is "Ad Astra Per Aspera," which means, "To the stars, we aspire." For the patch, this is shortened simply to "To The Stars." Stars also indicate excellence, something for which we are constantly striving.

We're a squadron and, as such, lack a headquarters element. Therefore, we junked the shield and scroll in favor of a roundel with rockers on top and bottom.

The original (beloved) patch had a lot of the same symbology, but was black, gray and orange. We re-did the color scheme to conform to USAF heraldry, and our patch is now basically blue surrounded by gold with elements in red and white. Blue signifies the sky, which is the primary theater for Air Force operations as well as Civil Air Patrol's underpinning aerospace orientation. Yellow signifies the excellence that is expected of all Civil Air Patrol personnel. The red and white of the chevron signify the boldness and truthfulness which marks our members' pursuit of excellence.

Those are the kinds of thought processes you can run through for your own patch, as Pylon suggests. What is the history of the area in which you're based? What does your squadron do...and what does it HOPE to do (as a new unit) in the future? How does your unit relate to CAP's present missions? Ask those questions first, and then try to correlate the answers to heraldic guidelines (which you can get to using the link posted elsewhere in this thread).

I would also echo others here who have advised not to adopt military symbols just because they "look kewl." Something that has a bearing on your mission or sponsorship is okay (i.e., if you were based at an AFB with fighter aircraft, you might ask to incorporate some of the AF Wing's symbology), but otherwise use symbols that are meaningful to your members and your unit.

Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

TexasCadet

This is echoing just about everyone, but choose what you want. Think about the name of your squadron. For example, my squadron is SWR-TX-388 Phoenix Composite Squadron, so our squadron patch has the Phoenix bird on it (the Phoenix bird is a bird from Greek mythology). Based on the description of your squadron, maybe your patch could have an eagle or a hawk flying in a valley. Another example: a squadron near us has the nickname "Redbirds", so they have a cardinal on their squadron patch.

Eclipse

One idea.

The colors are the official colors of PA.
The eagle is off the state flag.

The compass rose denotes the location of the unit.
The red road is where the unit derives its charter #(US Rt 522).

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

A bit busy for an embroidered patch don'cha think? The eagle will look like crap.

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on October 30, 2013, 03:28:07 AM
A bit busy for an embroidered patch don'cha think? The eagle will look like crap.

Not at all.

On today's machines it will look beautiful.  I've personally done insignia with a lot more detail then that.
It's only got 6 actual colors and most patch vendors are running machines with at least 16 needles, so this would run in a single setup.

Heck, my buddy has a machine at home that could run these.

This ain't Betsy Ross Promotions any more.

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

Quote from: THRAWN on October 29, 2013, 12:13:55 PM

Squadrons use the runds, any unit with a HQ element (groups on up) use the shields. Nothing drives me battier than a squadron with a shield. ...

I agree. The poser factor is a strong force.  8)

Private Investigator

Quote from: ProdigalJim on October 29, 2013, 11:01:26 PM...
Three stars in the upper part of the patch symbolize the three principal missions of CAP: Aerospace Education, Emergency Services and Cadet Program. Our motto, in Latin, is "Ad Astra Per Aspera," which means, "To the stars, we aspire." For the patch, this is shortened simply to "To The Stars." Stars also indicate excellence, something for which we are constantly striving.

That is an exceptional motto and I know another Squadron has it too. Very nice looking patch indeed.   :clap:

Private Investigator

Quote from: Eclipse on October 30, 2013, 01:36:09 AM
One idea.

The colors are the official colors of PA.
The eagle is off the state flag.

The compass rose denotes the location of the unit.
The red road is where the unit derives its charter #(US Rt 522).

I like that but I would go with the non-copyright version or something similar to the Philadelphia Eagles logo.

Panache

The "Keystone" design is popular with units in PAWG as well.

Eclipse

Quote from: Private Investigator on October 30, 2013, 07:51:50 AM
I like that but I would go with the non-copyright version or something similar to the Philadelphia Eagles logo.

Bear in mind, it's just an idea.

As to the copyright issues - since it's a public asset, it may well also be in the public domain or usable for non-profit
entities.  There's also the option to ask for non-profit permission.  (this is off the state flag, not from the football team).

Otherwise there's plenty of eagles and birds out there.

"That Others May Zoom"

Pulsar

C/LtCol Neutron Star

JeffDG

Who approves unit patches?

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

FlyTiger77

Quote from: JeffDG on November 01, 2013, 10:50:33 PM
Quote from: RogueLeader on November 01, 2013, 10:51:09 PM
Wing/CC

And, surprisingly, the only regulatory guidance I have been able to find that states such is in a note in CAPM 39-1.

If you haven't seen it, I can email you the recently approved Gp II patch.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

JeffDG

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on November 02, 2013, 12:14:09 AM
Wing/CC

And, surprisingly, the only regulatory guidance I have been able to find that states such is in a note in CAPM 39-1.

I've seen it already...well done.

Maybe my group can do the same now...and you know why I was asking who approves!

FlyTiger77

Quote from: JeffDG on November 02, 2013, 01:38:16 AM
Quote from: FlyTiger77 on November 02, 2013, 12:14:09 AM
Wing/CC

I've seen it already...well done.

Maybe my group can do the same now...and you know why I was asking who approves!

Roger.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP