Main Menu

helicopter

Started by stkgc, January 22, 2010, 05:27:49 PM

SarDragon

Quote from: flyguy06 on January 23, 2010, 06:54:51 AM
Quote from: Flying Pig on January 22, 2010, 06:30:23 PM
Quote from: Flint on January 22, 2010, 05:58:03 PM
Plus helicopters don't fly.  They just the beat the air into submission.

Helicopters are the purest form of flight my friend.  Forwards, backwards, sideways, hover.  Pull off the ramp and go straight up.  MMMMMM.....Love it.

Well, I wouldnt say theyare the purest form of flying. I would gliding is the purest form of flying. No engine. You are actually "flying" the aircraft the entire time from take off to landing.

Please tell us what the guy in the left seat is doing in a powered airplane if he isn't "flying" it.

As an aside - to fly is heavenly; to hover is divine.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Flying Pig

Being a glider pilot, helicopter pilot and fixed wing pilot, I would have to disagree.

SarDragon

Disagree with whom? Me, or flyguy?

Just asking. No biggie either way.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Flying Pig

flyguy. Sailplanes are subject to the lift.  When the wind says your done, your done.  A helicopter, I can go ANYWHERE I want in any direction. I can even fly backwards to get there.

Major Lord

I am sure this will seem blasphemy to both fixed wing and rotor wing diehards, but there is another option; The AutoGyro. Low acquisition cost, low operational cost, low fixed wing training transition costs,  low and slow flight, short take off roll from unimproved strips, and if the engine quits, unpowered autogyroing ( is that a word?)  is still better than just falling out of the sky....

There was a company awhile back trying to market an approved airframe ( most are experimentals) for police use. I am not sure if they ever sold anyone on the concept.

I think we can rule out blimps, hangliders and jetpacks for CAP use.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

sparks

Since we're thinking out of the box how about balloons or blimps for low and slow observation? We see lots of blimps advertising at sporting events and there is a company offering rides in the San Francisco area. No CAP doesn't have blimps but at one wing owns a hot air balloon. Of course the balloon can only go where the wing allows and only when it is light so the blimp would be the better choice. That would mean we'd be the Civil HOT AIR Patrol!

bosshawk

Seems to me that there is no shortage of "hot air" on this blog.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

RiverAux

Quote from: sparks on January 23, 2010, 05:24:56 PM
Since we're thinking out of the box how about balloons or blimps for low and slow observation? We see lots of blimps advertising at sporting events and there is a company offering rides in the San Francisco area. No CAP doesn't have blimps but at one wing owns a hot air balloon. Of course the balloon can only go where the wing allows and only when it is light so the blimp would be the better choice. That would mean we'd be the Civil HOT AIR Patrol!
The AF is starting a blimp program according to AF times.  Primarily for comm relay. 

lordmonar

Just a question.

If 60-1 says we don't do lighter then air craft......how is it that CAP owns hot air balloons and has a balloon pilot rating?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

sparks

Correct, 60-1 paragraph 2-4a excludes flight activity in numerous air vehicles including hot air balloons. I can only speculate how a hot air balloon could operate. My guess is a waiver for a particular activity would be involved and it would be tethered.

SarDragon

Where's Christie when we need her?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Rotorhead

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 23, 2010, 08:42:14 AM
flyguy. Sailplanes are subject to the lift.  When the wind says your done, your done.  A helicopter, I can go ANYWHERE I want in any direction. I can even fly backwards to get there.

..and land when you arrive, without the benefit of an airport.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

raivo

I have nothing to contribute other than to say that SimCopter was one of my favorite games ever.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

Rotorhead

Quote from: raivo on January 27, 2010, 02:56:50 AM
I have nothing to contribute other than to say that SimCopter was one of my favorite games ever.
Hey, I loved that game!

I always flew the Hughes 500 when I played it.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

ascorbate

Quote from: Major Lord on January 23, 2010, 05:08:42 PM
There was a company awhile back trying to market an approved airframe ( most are experimentals) for police use.

I think you are referring to the Groen Brothers Hawk 4 gyroplane which played an integral part in [flying] security during the 2002 Winter Olympic Games in Salt Lake City, UT.

I believe Groen Brothers Aviation is still operating from Buckeye airport about an hour west of Phoenix, AZ.
Dr. Mark A. Kukucka, Lt Col, CAP
Missions Directorate (A7), MD-001
Carl A. Spaatz Award #569
Gill Robb Wilson Award #3004

MikeD

http://www.historicaviation.com/product_info.po?ID=10927&product=Apparel&category=military&subcategory=Military%20Helicopters 

This is relevant to some of our interests.  And I got told by one guy a work that it was "offensive" (he was a glider guy and a really good aerodynamicist.  I really wish we still had some in our hangar.

Major Lord

Quote from: ascorbate on January 28, 2010, 01:48:51 AM
Quote from: Major Lord on January 23, 2010, 05:08:42 PM
There was a company awhile back trying to market an approved airframe ( most are experimentals) for police use.

I think you are referring to the Groen Brothers Hawk 4 gyroplane which played an integral part in [flying] security during the 2002 Winter Olympic Games in Salt Lake City, UT.

I believe Groen Brothers Aviation is still operating from Buckeye airport about an hour west of Phoenix, AZ.

Doc,

Thanks, that's the one I had in mind. Very nice concept. http://www.groenbros.com/hawk5.php

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Flying Pig

I see an advantage over airplanes because it cant stall and has a slower airspeed.  46mph.  However, it cant hover.  Which keeps it from competing with helicopters.

Gunner C

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 28, 2010, 05:12:17 PM
I see an advantage over airplanes because it cant stall and has a slower airspeed.  46mph.  However, it cant hover.  Which keeps it from competing with helicopters.
It can in a 46 mph headwind!  ;D

airmanbooker

Quote from: Flint on January 22, 2010, 05:58:03 PM
Plus helicopters don't fly.  They just the beat the air into submission.

LOL!
Check out my flying blog!
- Ultralights
- Experimental Aviation
- Private Space Travel
- Black Aviation History

http://garyisairborne.blogspot.com