CAP not at Air Shows anymore?

Started by Stonewall, October 27, 2008, 01:27:49 AM

Pylon

Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 27, 2008, 12:33:44 PM
I think Airshows are one of our essential recruiting and public awareness venues - and sadly - not well utilized.

:clap: :clap:

(My emphasis added)
Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 27, 2008, 12:33:44 PM
Sometimes people trying to get a spot for CAP at them get discouraged because they expect to vend out of their booth (selling sodas, or something) and the host expects the vending fee to be paid - sometimes upwards of $600.00.  Unsure of if they are going to get that money back, they opt out entirely.

But, I think that we could say that this is a problem with the Wing's relationship with the AF locally.  Airshows are usually held anually in most states, you might get 2 or 3 max.  The wing should be taking the initiative to get the SD on the horn with the airshow coordinators to make sure that we have the opportunity to set up there and even help with some of the volunteer duties.  You can't expect the local squadron to establish that sort of relationship or even know how to get in. 

Airshows are an important recruiting resource, one that IMO is underutilized.  IMO, a wing like RI could easily double their cadet membership at one successful airshow.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I don't even need to write a post.  This one summarizes my thoughts exactly.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

notaNCO forever

My squadron has been helps at a local airshow every year.

DesertFlyer

Our squadron helped start a new one at our local airport.  Officially, it was not an "air show," but an "aviation day."  That helped calm nerves over insurance, etc., but the result was a great event for the community.  Our squadron had a booth and the squadron in Los Alamos brought a CAP plane. 

One of our local papers did a page-one story:

http://www.dchieftain.com/news/84121-10-22-08.html

We got a lot of inquiries about membership.  And yes, we plan to do this again next year!

Lt Col Dave Finley, CAP
Socorro Composite Squadron
New Mexico Wing

Semper Fidelis -- Semper Vigilans

Rob Sherlin

I don't recall the Niagara CAP at our last airshow. I think if they were there, I probably would have looked into joining a lot sooner, instead of just remembering from when I was 19 and discovered a California Squadron in Pasadena. Otherwise, like many other people, I would have never knew of it's exsistance (I think it was mentioned a few times in AFJROTC, but it seemed they had more interest in everyone going regular ROTC at a college, then going regular Air Force, and I don't even recall the local CAP even coming to talk to us).
   As was posted in the Uniform section, I think even if CAP isn't involved directly with a certain airshow, one could ask their SC if they can go in uniform, and hand out pamphlets, business cards, and talk to people who might have an interest. especially anyone who has earned wings. Seems a uniform with wings on it is highly noticable......everyone wants to talk pilots at an airshow. 
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116

Snake Doctor

CAP has had a presence at the Mount Vernon, IL and Alton, IL Fly-Ins for years as well as the Scott AFB Open House http://www.ilgp1.org/scottairshow.htm
In fact I got a nice letter from the base Commander thanking CAP for being there and providing assistance.
Paul Hertel, Lt Col, Civil Air Patrol
Wing Chief Of Staff
Assistant Wing PAO
Illinois Wing

lordmonar

CAP will be very visible at Aviation Nation this weekend.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

I'm home sick, so I had the "opportunity" to watch "Inside - Oshkosh Airshow" at least 3 times.

http://www.wttw.com/main.taf?erube_fh=wttw&wttw.submit.EpisodeDetail=1&wttw.EpisodeID=164452&wttw.Channel=11.1

In a 60-minute episode that detailed setup to teardown, CAP is not mentioned once, nor did I see anyone easily identified as CAP, despite the fact that CAP supposedly has a huge, vital, presence there.

How is that possible?  By the third viewing I was actively searching the crowds for anyone in a CAP uniform, and found nothing.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Being important does not equate to being ever mentioned in the news/TV/books...what ever.

Let's look at it on the other side....if CAP were to get a mention in the video....then we would have people complaining that CAP was inflating their worth/participation.

notaNCO forever

While I don't think we should do NBB to get noticed it would be nice if CAP was at least mentioned.

lordmonar

Sure it would be nice.

I sure the guys who placed and serviced the Port-a-pots and hauled out the trash feel the same way.

Bottom line is that just because some buy made a documentry about airventure and did not mention CAP does not mean we are NOT an important part of the operation.

Eclipse

My point here is that if CAP actually has the huge / key presence that is portended by the NBB people, it would be near impossible to not have them appear, at least in the crowd shots, and a big slight to not at least be mentioned once.

Plenty of other volunteers were highly visible and mentioned.

"That Others May Zoom"

alice

Last week, CAP had a CAP C182 on display at the AOPA Expo static display line thanks to efforts by local CAP members since neither CAP NHQ nor the Wing declined to fund a static display slot.   And, lots of local CAP members staffed an indoor exhibit booth with the help of one NHQ person.   There is a very nice and easily transportable CAP booth display set-up complete with the new gocivilairpatrol web address.

There is a "new" person at CAP NHQ responsible for coordinating all such national aviation shows.  Not sure if that includes major airshows with Thunderbird or Blue Angels appearances.   In the past decade or so its been hit or miss whether a local CAP wing or group gets involved in such "national" level recruiting opportunities.  Perhaps this would be a good discussion thread for captalk?

Alice
Alice Mansell, LtCol CAP

Rob Sherlin

I think every squadron should have a booth for such occasions in their inventory, and when there's an event (such as an airshow) in the area they want to participate in, the squadron(s) can make contact themselves to arrange it. I would tend to think that members who live in the area would know about an event before someone at NHQ would (I didn't know there was an Airshow Coordinator at NHQ).
  This would not only allow more time to prepare for the event, it would also help build a relationship with the local squadrons, and the people and places (air bases, airports, etc) who hold these events.

Or does it have to be OK'd through NHQ?

It just seems like if you had to contact NHQ, let them know there's an airshow your squadron wants to be a part of, then they make the arrangements, and then contact the squadron with the OK, by the time that all happens, it would probably leave very little time to prepare for a good presentation....if the date hasn't passed alltogether.
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Rob Sherlin on November 11, 2008, 02:10:25 PM
  I think every squadron should have a booth for such occasions in their inventory, and when there's an event (such as an airshow) in the area they want to participate in, the squadron(s) can make contact themselves to arrange it. I would tend to think that members who live in the area would know about an event before someone at NHQ would (I didn't know there was an Airshow Coordinator at NHQ).
  This would not only allow more time to prepare for the event, it would also help build a relationship with the local squadrons, and the people and places (air bases, airports, etc) who hold these events.

Or does it have to be OK'd through NHQ?

It just seems like if you had to contact NHQ, let them know there's an airshow your squadron wants to be a part of, then they make the arrangements, and then contact the squadron with the OK, by the time that all happens, it would probably leave very little time to prepare for a good presentation....if the date hasn't passed alltogether.

Rob,

I can understand and appreciate your sentiments, you make some good points.  Earlier in this thread I mentioned that I think that each wing should be responsible for ensuring that there is a CAP presence at every airshow in their jurisdiction.  I think we would reasonably say that it is not too difficult for the State Directors to get a clear picture of the Major Base Sponsored airshows in their wing. 

I think that one of the responsibilities should be to ensure that a good relationship is developed to make CAP both a resource (parking, etc - provides good visibility) as well as booth space. 

If each WING had 1 or 2 recruiting displays that could be deployed (professionally designed and produced (no more foam boards with 20 year old pictures), they would be more than able to deploy those assets to whatever event is going on. 

Doing this would remove the burden from the local units to find a contact, establish the relationship, convince that contact we need a spot, etc.  Many/most units don't have the resources, staff, or experience to be able to do something like this, which is why I think that there is a dwindling presence of CAP at these things.  It would place the responsibility on the wing to support their local units - imagine that!

A representative at NHQ could keep tabs on where assets are being located and could be responsible for sending "upgraded" displays out to wings or deploying some sort of national resource (tractor trailer recruiting thing) to the larger events in each region on a rotating basis.  They could also be responsible for working with design companies and ensuring that recruiting resources are updated, distributed and available when needed.

Just my thoughts.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Rob Sherlin

Jimmy,

That would definitely work!

And at the same time, the more CAP gets involved, the more the people who run the events will remember CAP, relations will be built, and then, THEY might be taking the initiative for CAP to get involved, instead of CAP contacting them (wouldn't that be awesome!). Especially with squadrons who are around or meet at air bases.

lordmonar

Just a quick report....because I just finished running the numbers.

We had over 1200 man hours at the Aviation Nation.

We had people from seven squadrons and two wings participat in a recruiting booth, static display, Ground Team display...checking entry credentials, doing exit counts, assiting security forces in-cheching bags, and assisting at the VIP challet.

Oh...and there was an air show!

The organisers think that we (CAP) did such a great job running our people...they want us to be the lead agency for all the "volunteer youth" groups next year .

flyerthom

Quote from: lordmonar on November 14, 2008, 04:35:49 AM
Just a quick report....because I just finished running the numbers.

We had over 1200 man hours at the Aviation Nation.

We had people from seven squadrons and two wings participat in a recruiting booth, static display, Ground Team display...checking entry credentials, doing exit counts, assiting security forces in-cheching bags, and assisting at the VIP challet.

Oh...and there was an air show!

The organisers think that we (CAP) did such a great job running our people...they want us to be the lead agency for all the "volunteer youth" groups next year .

Hey Pat, can you email me the details for our PAO project.
flyerthom#gmail.com
TC

JAFO78

Quote from: lordmonar on November 14, 2008, 04:35:49 AM

The organizers think that we (CAP) did such a great job running our people...they want us to be the lead agency for all the "volunteer youth" groups next year .

Way to go sir, now that's what CAP is about, Showing others what CAP can do.
JAFO

Instructor Disbrow

The Sea Cadet - Cruiser Milwaukee Division works the Milwaukee Air Show every year.  I have not seen any CAP members working it in the 3 years I have been invovled.

Quote from: CASH172 on October 27, 2008, 04:18:17 AM
Quote from: Stonewall on October 27, 2008, 01:27:49 AM
Heck, I didn't even see Sea Cadets and it was a Navy base.

There were at least three dozen Sea Cadets when I was there Saturday.  They were handing out brochures, assisting the attendees with special needs, and other duties.

ammotrucker

Quote from: Stonewall on October 27, 2008, 01:27:49 AM
I've been to two air shows since moving to Florida and I didn't see CAP at either of them.  As a cadet, we had displays at every air show here...at the same exact base I was at today.  Heck, I didn't even see Sea Cadets and it was a Navy base.

I can think of five airshow that CAP has a active participation in within FL.

Sun-n Fun Lakeland, FL
Air-Fest Tampa, FL
International airshow, Punta Gorda, FL
LSA airshow Sebring, FL
and one over in the Cooca Beach area, i don't remember what it is called.

Ask around, there may be more, but of these all are annual and always a CAP presence
RG Little, Capt