Quick flying question...

Started by Stonewall, December 07, 2007, 03:29:53 AM

Stonewall

Hey, going flying on Sunday as a "passenger" to ferry an aircraft to an ANG base for family day.  Anything I need other than myself, uniform and ID card? 

I haven't been flying since 2000 and I know there may be some requirements that I'm not aware of.  I'm just eager to fly in this "glass cockpit" 182 that's like not even a year old.
Serving since 1987.

CASH172

You may wanna make sure you'll have a headset or something to cover your ears when you're in the plane.  Usually, most pilots have spares but just kinda make sure beforehand. 

SJFedor

Yay for flying the G1000!

It's a real neat toy, you'll enjoy it. It's like playing a video game.

Photo ID is usually a good idea, just in case. Dress for the weather you'll be flying in, and be prepared to spend the night in the woods.

Leave your handguns at home  ;D

Headset is a good idea, unless the aircraft has some in it already.

Have fun!!!

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Trung Si Ma

Quote from: Stonewall on December 07, 2007, 03:29:53 AM
Hey, going flying on Sunday as a "passenger" to ferry an aircraft to an ANG base for family day.  Anything I need other than myself, uniform and ID card? 

Money to buy the pilot lunch, or at least some coffee or a soda.  ;D

Seriously, take a camera unless there are restrictions on what you can photograph at the ANGB (TIK has a prohibition on personal cameras on the flight line).

Do some training on CRM with the pilot - you're not a "passenger", you're aircrew!
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

Stonewall

Thanks, guys.  Figured it wasn't a big deal, but I'm like a kid in a candy store.  Honestly though, I'm not a huge flyer type.  Was an active observer for years until my skills as a GT guy were in more demand with the number of GT cadets we had in the wing. 

The distance we're going takes 25 min to drive, so unless we get some "proficiency flying" in, it'll be a short trip.

Quote from: SJFedor on December 07, 2007, 04:51:12 AM
....and be prepared to spend the night in the woods.

Let's hope my SERE school experience won't be necessary.

I don't understand.  But we're one of the original Coastal Patrol squadrons, people are after us...
Serving since 1987.

JCW0312

Quote from: Stonewall on December 07, 2007, 02:27:51 PM

I don't understand.  But we're one of the original Coastal Patrol squadrons, people are after us...

He said leave your handguns at home. Not your assault rifle. Pay attention!  >:D
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
Memphis Belle Memorial Squadron
SER-TN-144

SJFedor

Quote from: JCW0312 on December 07, 2007, 07:49:38 PM
Quote from: Stonewall on December 07, 2007, 02:27:51 PM

He said leave your handguns at home. Not your assault rifle. Pay attention!  >:D

Of course, you NEVER leave home w/o something in 5.56mm or larger  ;D

Enjoy the flight, learn all you can, play with the CAP radios in the aircraft. They may have changed since you last flew. The new TDFMs are rather sweet.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations

Stonewall

Had a good time.  Stood out at a static display for about 5 hours at the local ANG family day.  The plane was a big hit.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

And one more pic.
Serving since 1987.

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

JCW0312

Glad you had fun. Who's the goofball in the pictures? ;)
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

Duke Dillio

Does the guy in the flightsuit come with the plane?  If so, my fiancee wants to know if the plane wouldn't mind taking an extended cross country flight to Cali...    :angel:

Cmdbuddy

Quote from: sargrunt on December 09, 2007, 11:56:26 PM
Does the guy in the flightsuit come with the plane?  If so, my fiancee wants to know if the plane wouldn't mind taking an extended cross country flight to Cali...    :angel:
UK's married...

Unfortunately
Christie Ducote, Capt, CAP

Cmdbuddy

I like my dad's glass better than the C-182

Stonewall

Quote from: Cmdbuddy on December 10, 2007, 12:08:02 AM

Yeah?  Well I like my dad's 15 passenger Chevy van better than my squadron's 15 passenger Ford van, so there.
Serving since 1987.

Duke Dillio

Great pics there Kirt.  Hey, haven't I seen that dude before?  Oh wait, yeah, here he is:

Rock on dude!!!    :P

Stonewall

Regarding my flying experience, I realize it's not a big deal, people fly all the time in CAP, but it's sort of a big deal for me since I haven't flown as an observer in like 10 years.  I was a pretty active Observer in NATCAP wing, but after my 2 really good friends crashed a CAP plane during a mountain flying clinic, and the need for more ground pounders in my wing at the time, I had no problem taking a break.

I've jumped from planes and have flown like 300,000 miles in the past 6 years commercially during my travels.  But this morning, I was very nervous for some reason.  My stomach was in knots and I was a bit anxious.  But it was a smooth flight, not too long, not too short.  So I think I'm going to get checked out as an Observer again and join the other aircrew types in the squadron.
Serving since 1987.

Duke Dillio

DON'T TURN TO THE DARK SIDE KIRT!!!

Tubacap

William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

Stonewall

Actually, I just want a cool headset.  Gear queer strikes again...

My two buddies I talked about above survived and I found a note about the crash, but it was in 1996.  Guess I had my timeline off a little.  I just remember flying in 2000 to the Andrews AFB Air Show from Davison AAF.

Anyway, here is the story:
QuoteDuring a Mountain Flying Clinic, a mission instructor and two other crewmembers who had completed the academic portion of the course the day prior, departed in a 160HP C-172 to practice a mountain contour search. The instructor told the pilot in command to climb over the ridge ahead so that they could resume the search on the other side. Full power was applied as the aircraft headed for the ridge. The terrain outperformed the aircraft and it crashed approximately 100 feet below the 4500 foot crest. The aircraft impacted the trees and came to rest inverted about 25 feet above the ground. The aircraft was badly damaged; however, the crew egressed safely using the tie-down ropes to lower themselves to the ground. Don't we teach flying down-slope rather than up-slope? Why didn't the other crewmembers speak up? They had attended the same mountain flying clinic. Just because you're not the PIC, don't just sit there when you see a dangerous situation developing.
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Surprised no one commented on my right shoulder patch....any ideas?

Serving since 1987.

Cmdbuddy

If you want a cool headset, go with the Bose X's.  

I have a pair and absolutely love them. Others will swear by David Clarks.

jeders

Quote from: Stonewall on December 10, 2007, 02:15:55 AM

It's a patch, couldn't make it out the first time so I went on with life. But now that you've brought it up, what is it?
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Cmdbuddy

Quote from: Stonewall on December 10, 2007, 12:34:04 AM

Yeah?  Well I like my dad's 15 passenger Chevy van better than my squadron's 15 passenger Ford van, so there.

Dude, just saying that I like the layout better (extra instruments and stuff)

:P

I'll take any glass over none, though.  Did it have the XM weather and radio on it too?

mikeylikey

Quote from: Stonewall on December 10, 2007, 02:15:55 AM

Radiological Monitoring?  Bit fuzzy. 
What's up monkeys?

Stonewall

Serving since 1987.

SJFedor

Quote from: Stonewall on December 10, 2007, 03:12:28 AM

You're a bad, bad man.

Quote from: Cmdbuddy on December 10, 2007, 02:46:28 AM
Quote from: Stonewall on December 10, 2007, 12:34:04 AM

Dude, just saying that I like the layout better (extra instruments and stuff)

:P

I'll take any glass over none, though.  Did it have the XM weather and radio on it too?

That cockpit is pretty hawt. Most wings choose to pay for the XM weather/NEXRAD stuff on board, but, at least TNWG, won't shell out the $$ to enable the full radio. It just has 2 channels (FoxNews and one other, it's like CSPAN w/o the boring visuals), and then all the NEXRAD stuff. I absolutely love how you can pull up current METARs and TAFs in flight for any field that reports them. Makes in flight diversions a lot easier. But, I REALLY wish they'd enable the full radio. Guess they don't want me rocking out while I'm flying.

Although, there is my iPod.....

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver

Cmdbuddy

Ah ok.. didn't know that you could get only some of it. 

I've only flown in my dad's plane twice (I normally fly heavily flown C-172R's) and the whole G-1000 thing is so amazing. 

Only thing he's really missing is TCAS, which is apparently along the lines of 15 grand to get installed.  He has the lesser form of it (receiving the information from the ground in certain areas), but he definitely misses the TCAS he had in the Baron. 

You're right... the METAR and TAF stuff is cool, but I definitely like the airport information (frequencies and all) in there.  We had to make a "pit stop" when he came up to get me from college for Thanksgiving (got food poisoning from a drive through Japanese place the day before), and it was nice to punch in "nearest airport" and get everything we could ever need for it. 

mikeylikey

Perhaps you would venture up here this year.  That way you can sport the patch to all your RANGER buddies!   ;D

Don't you have something better to move there?  If anything fails, nothing there would be OK  :-*
What's up monkeys?

MIKE

UK got some 'splain'n to do.  Can not find above patch in CAPM 39-1.
Mike Johnston

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: MIKE on December 10, 2007, 04:14:06 AM

UK got some 'splain'n to do.  Can not find above patch in CAPM 39-1.

Somebudy's in troubbblllleeeeee......

I say we knock off 1000 posts or so.....

MIKE

I'd make him drop, but he's on profile.
Mike Johnston

mikeylikey

Thats the one from the early 90's.  Always liked it better.  I am glad they sell them as repo's now.  
What's up monkeys?

CadetProgramGuy

Profile smofile.......

I know you're hurtin........Get well soon.......

Duke Dillio

There's no way that Kirt committed a uniform infraction.  It's just not possible.  Grabbing unauthorized drink and looking again.  It's gotta be legal.  It just has to be...

JCW0312

Quote from: Cmdbuddy on December 10, 2007, 03:56:20 AM
(got food poisoning from a drive through Japanese place the day before)

A drive-thru Japanese place? Shoulda known better! >:D
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

Stonewall

Hey now, I thought it was a legit NCSA type patch.  I got it from Hawk Mountain's website after I went there in Winter '02.  I like it 10x better the LL patch.  And the reg, if I'm not mistaken, says my choice of national, region, wing, or squadron patch.  Well, that's a national level patch.

My other options were NGSAR patch, NATCAP wing patch or a few AF patches I have with velcro on them.

I will not wear the FLWG patch on my flight suit as long as I have other options.  That wing patch is the gheyest looking wing patch; moreso than the pregnant alligator. 
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

39-1 says...

QuoteOptional Shoulder Patch: Worn centered 1/2 inch below shoulder seam on right sleeve. Member may choose one of the authorized patches for the right shoulder, may be wing, region or National shoulder patch.

And...

QuoteTable 6-4. Wear of Badges, Patches, and Devices on Flight Suits, BDUs, Utility Uniforms and Field Uniforms.

If an individual wears:

National Cadet
Special Activities
Patches

To include...

Hawk Mountain Patch

Then the individual wears the patch...

on the right sleeve 1/2 inch
below shoulder seam of
BDU or field uniform
shirt, BDU or dark blue
field jacket, utility uniform
or flight suit.
Serving since 1987.

CadetProgramGuy

jimmy says.......

too much

cut

and

paste

MIKE

^^ But that is not the authorized as depicted in CAPM 39-1 patch.
Mike Johnston

Stonewall

Well poo on you.  I'll just have to switch to the NGSAR patch.  It's a shame that the LL Hawk patch is the one authorized because it's so cheaply made.  It doesn't even have an embroidered edge around it.  I have one, but I ain't wearing that one either.

I've never scrolled down in 39-1 far enough to know the patches were shown.  That really gets my goat.

But I bet I looked better than the guy I flew with  >:D    He had flag sewn to left shoulder, command patch velcroed to front, big ugly squadron patch sewn to right shoulder about 1" too far forward so it was resting more on his bicep than his shoulder.  Good pilot though, taught me a lot.  If I could just get him to square away his flight suit.
Serving since 1987.

Duke Dillio

Do it like Cinderella Kirt, rip all his stuff off and hand it to him.  Then, make him do pushups til he pukes the whole time calling him a "girly man" with an improper bag......

Wait, wait, that wouldn't be right.....

Nevermind, retract last statement.

SJFedor

Quote from: Stonewall on December 10, 2007, 11:29:47 AM
39-1 says...

QuoteOptional Shoulder Patch: Worn centered 1/2 inch below shoulder seam on right sleeve. Member may choose one of the authorized patches for the right shoulder, may be wing, region or National shoulder patch.

And...

QuoteTable 6-4. Wear of Badges, Patches, and Devices on Flight Suits, BDUs, Utility Uniforms and Field Uniforms.

If an individual wears:

National Cadet
Special Activities
Patches

To include...

Hawk Mountain Patch

Then the individual wears the patch...

on the right sleeve 1/2 inch
below shoulder seam of
BDU or field uniform
shirt, BDU or dark blue
field jacket, utility uniform
or flight suit.

Kirt, you made me dig through the frackin HMRS website.

Quote from: HMRS Uniform Accessories
Civil Air Patrol Hawk Mountain Ranger School Insignia.

This is a non-uniform insignia available only though the Hawk Mountain BX. All proceeds from the sale of this insignia go towards helping the Hawk Mountain Ranger School Staff Training Program.

http://www.pawingcap.com/hawk/uniform_items.htm

Emphasis mine.

Come to MAS next year, you can wear your class patch illegally, too!  >:D >:D >:D Just jokin bro...

>:( I still wanna wear mine...

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver

SJFedor

Quote from: Cmdbuddy on December 10, 2007, 03:56:20 AM
Ah ok.. didn't know that you could get only some of it. 

I've only flown in my dad's plane twice (I normally fly heavily flown C-172R's) and the whole G-1000 thing is so amazing. 

Only thing he's really missing is TCAS, which is apparently along the lines of 15 grand to get installed.  He has the lesser form of it (receiving the information from the ground in certain areas), but he definitely misses the TCAS he had in the Baron. 

You're right... the METAR and TAF stuff is cool, but I definitely like the airport information (frequencies and all) in there.  We had to make a "pit stop" when he came up to get me from college for Thanksgiving (got food poisoning from a drive through Japanese place the day before), and it was nice to punch in "nearest airport" and get everything we could ever need for it. 

Yeah, the TIS is neat when you're in an area that supports it. Scares me though, every now and then it'll refresh and display the aircraft I'm in as a target right on top of me. Spooks me every time. Scared the crap out of one of my MOs once, too. The frequencies are the absolute bomb, you don't even have to enter them by hand, you can just hit enter and they dial right in.

Best part, the GPS approach to the helipad of the trauma center I work at is in there. It's a non-published approach, private only, but it's in there. I'm tempted to fly it once....to the MAP, of course  ;D

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver

Stonewall

Quote from: SJFedor on December 10, 2007, 11:22:48 PM
Kirt, you made me dig through the frackin HMRS website.

Quote from: HMRS Uniform Accessories
Civil Air Patrol Hawk Mountain Ranger School Insignia.

This is a non-uniform insignia available only though the Hawk Mountain BX. All proceeds from the sale of this insignia go towards helping the Hawk Mountain Ranger School Staff Training Program.

http://www.pawingcap.com/hawk/uniform_items.htm

Emphasis mine.

Okay folks, I'm not perfect.  Geeeezum crow.  You know I hate wearing something illegal, but I genuinely thought it was a legit patch to wear.  It's off; ain't wearing it again...  Will switch to NATIONAL GSAR SCHOOL patch.  Notice I didn't say "NATIONAL EMERGENCY SERVICES ACADEMY" patch.  I went when it was hard.  :)
Serving since 1987.

SJFedor

Quote from: Stonewall on December 10, 2007, 11:34:14 PM
Okay folks, I'm not perfect.  Geeeezum crow.  You know I hate wearing something illegal, but I genuinely thought it was a legit patch to wear.  It's off; ain't wearing it again...  Will switch to NATIONAL GSAR SCHOOL patch.  Notice I didn't say "NATIONAL EMERGENCY SERVICES ACADEMY" patch.  I went when it was hard.  :)

You're not perfect, but you're usually REALLY close. So, we hafta harp on you a little. Just some friendly hazing  ;D

Besides, I'd be more proud of a NGSAR patch or NESA patch then a Hawk patch.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver

Stonewall

Quote from: SJFedor on December 10, 2007, 11:37:10 PMBesides, I'd be more proud of a NGSAR patch or NESA patch then a Hawk patch.

Well, technically I am.  Especially since I was commandant of the advanced course.  But I really like that particular Hawk patch.  It's rather simple and says the words "SEARCH AND RESCUE SCHOOL" vs "NGSAR" which some may not understand.
Serving since 1987.

Duke Dillio

Hey Kirt, did you get your master blaster while you were at Hawk for the winter thing?

Stonewall

I've had Master GTM for years before that.  Whenever they made earning Ground Operations Director (GOD), now Ground Branch Director (GBD) meant that you got Master GTM, that's when I got it.  Sometime in the late '90s.

I had Master GTM at NGSAR in '99, so I'm pretty sure it was between '96 and '98.
Serving since 1987.

Duke Dillio

I was talking about Expert Ranger or Master Ranger or whatever it is they call them.

Stonewall

Quote from: sargrunt on December 11, 2007, 12:01:11 AM
I was talking about Expert Ranger or Master Ranger or whatever it is they call them.

Oh heck no.  I don't follow that stuff.  I don't even know if I have a "Ranger" rating.  Wasn't important to me.  I just went up there to see what it's all about. 
Serving since 1987.

SJFedor

R/Ex

I'm diving deep into the memory banks, but they usually require a summer school for R/1, and I think they want you on staff for R/Ad and R/Ex.

I'm NOT going back to look at the HMRS website. Place gives me a headache like when you walk into a nail salon.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver

Duke Dillio

You would think they would be a little more creative with their background....  Black and orange is soooo 70's...

jimmydeanno

Quote from: SJFedor on December 11, 2007, 12:11:28 AM
... Place gives me a headache like when you walk into a nail salon.

Something we should know?  >:D
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

mikeylikey

Quote from: jimmydeanno on December 11, 2007, 01:24:23 AM

Nothing wrong with a guy getting his nails done.   :-*
What's up monkeys?

SJFedor

Quote from: jimmydeanno on December 11, 2007, 01:24:23 AM

Just times where the girlfriend has dragged me in to "keep her company", i.e. sit there and read 6 month old magazines. Trust me, I'm the complete polar opposite of anything you could call "metro"

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver