Main Menu

Curry Voucher?

Started by AirAux, October 07, 2015, 04:29:22 PM

AirAux

Can anyone tell me what the cadet receives for the Curry Voucher?  Thanks

kwe1009

http://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/new_cadet_help/cadet-uniforms/

They receive a $100 voucher which can only be used for very specific items, basically the blue uniform, C/Amn ranks, name tag, Curry ribbon and ribbon holder, and shoes.

It can't be used for anything else like BDUs and you are only allowed to purchase one of each item.  The total cost of a uniform on Vanguard is over $150 so the voucher won't cover everything.

AirAux

IIRC, National originally said Vanguard would put together a "basket" so a cadet could get almost everything.  Did that not happen? 

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: AirAux on October 07, 2015, 08:29:34 PM
IIRC, National originally said Vanguard would put together a "basket" so a cadet could get almost everything.  Did that not happen?

I remember that too, and I also do not see anything on the site as of last week or so.

kwe1009

The cadet gets an email with the coupon code and a list of what they are allowed to purchase.  No special basket or anything.  It would not be that difficult for Vanguard to set up a "Curry Voucher" category and just have the allowed items there.  It would certainly make it easier on those trying to use it.

AirAux

Just looked at Vanguard, basic blue uniform with everything but socks equals $203.40.  That is BS..  Someone with a couple of kids will not be able to afford that and then throw the BDU's on top??  BS, BS, BS!!! 

Ned

Quote from: AirAux on October 07, 2015, 10:03:29 PM
Just looked at Vanguard, basic blue uniform with everything but socks equals $203.40.  That is BS..  Someone with a couple of kids will not be able to afford that and then throw the BDU's on top??  BS, BS, BS!!!

I'm not sure I understand your concern.  Vanguard uniform prices will always be higher than the "issue quality" items at clothing sales, because by law Vanguard can't sell the DPSC items.  Plus, like every single business on the planet, they have to factor in expenses and even a fair profit for their shareholders.

I don't buy my uniforms there for that very reason.

What in particular has you so angry?

MisterCD

Quote from: Ned on October 07, 2015, 10:47:52 PM

I'm not sure I understand your concern.  Vanguard uniform prices will always be higher than the "issue quality" items at clothing sales, because by law Vanguard can't sell the DPSC items.  Plus, like every single business on the planet, they have to factor in expenses and even a fair profit for their shareholders.

I don't buy my uniforms there for that very reason.

What in particular has you so angry?

Perhaps because not everyone has the option of visiting a USAF facility to purchase uniforms at affordable prices, senior or cadet. I always find it odd we don't have more of a swap or exchange option. Lord knows I have uniform items which only collect dust which are distributed to squadrons or individuals to help save a few dollars.

AirAux

Perhaps you don't remember the days when the Air Force provided blues for the cadets, including shoes.  As the above has noted, most of us don't live near a base or find it impossible to get on the base if we find one.  For Vangaurd to get to be the exclusive provider for CAP items, the Air Force should have negotiated that Vanguard would provide the initial Cadet Uniform for a fixed fee of $100.00 or so.  These kids grow out of blues faster than they ever wear them out.  The dress black polymer shoes don't hold up at all and are scratched within a few wearings.  Good black leatehr shoes can be spit shined and can be reshined if damaged.  I don't know why CAP can't furnish an AFEES Catalogue to each new cadet and let them order their uniform from them.  For someone (the Air Force)that claims they are so inerested in the Cadet Program they sure have a funny way of showing it.  I truly think this is a terrible situation and will hurt our program severely over the next few years.  There was a big push on for inner city kids to join.  Well, you just show me some inner city kids that can lay out $200.00 for a uniform to earn their fist rank and then shell out another $200-300 for BDU's and boots.  Ain't happening.  I think someone needs to revisit this idea and quickly.  What happened to that $100.00 "basket" the would provide them with almost everything they need?  you can't even buy pants and a shirt for that..         

xray328

+1

Not to rehash here, but we spent almost $1000 getting two cadets to encampment.

The voucher needs to cover an entire blues uniform. AF and Vanguard need to figure out something. I'm not accusing here, but AF gives the money for the voucher and Vanguard has a monopoly on where you can spend it...hmmm.

PA Guy

Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth!! $100 is better than $0. I'm sorry CAP can't meet your sense of entitlement.

almostspaatz

My goal is to not have to worry about having cadets deal with vanguard or getting onto a Base Ex., but instead have enough funds at the squadron that we can have a good supply of uniforms for cadets at the squadron's expense...

Well I can dream can't I?
C/Maj Steve Garrett

PA Guy

Quote from: xray328 on October 08, 2015, 01:42:45 AM
+1

The voucher needs to cover an entire blues uniform. AF and Vanguard need to figure out something. I'm not accusing here, but AF gives the money for the voucher and Vanguard has a monopoly on where you can spend it...hmmm.

Did your 2 cadets receive any of the AF money for encampment? If so, what was that worth and how many Curry vouchers did you receive?

xray328

Quote from: PA Guy on October 08, 2015, 02:06:00 AM

Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth!! $100 is better than $0. I'm sorry CAP can't meet your sense of entitlement.

I think the issue is that when we went through AAFES the AF's money was better spent. I don't think we need to be worrying about "quality" here because a majority of cadets don't last 18 months. Can't we find a way to get "cadet grade" uniforms for the $100 the AF has graciously provided?

xray328

Quote from: PA Guy on October 08, 2015, 02:31:03 AM
Quote from: xray328 on October 08, 2015, 01:42:45 AM
+1

Did your 2 cadets receive any of the AF money for encampment? If so, what was that worth and how many Curry vouchers did you receive?

Each kid got $125 and the $100 voucher. It was very much appreciated don't get me wrong. I just think uniforms need to be cadet friendly regarding pricing. Certainly AF money shouldn't be used to buy items that are available much cheaper from other sources (AAFES).  Get rid of Vanguard, let AAFES carry our uniform items again. Make AAFES more accessible and get a CAP division to expedite the process of getting the uniforms out in a timely fashion. There's no reason for AF money to be wasted like this.

AirAux

PA GUY, careful there with the entitlement talk, I have 35 years in with CAP this time.  I have spent upwards of $100,000.00 of my own money in the last 35 years in order to be an active member and stay trained.  I have volunteered close to 10,000 hours in the past 35 years.  You don't even understand entitlement.  CAP is a recruiting tool for cadets.  I have served.  I am ashamed of what the Air Force and CAP are doing to the cadet program.  Why the hell should this be a profit making endeavor for Vanguard when the Air Force can and has provided this service to the cadets in the past.  Many youngster will be denied access to CAP because their parents either can't afford it or won't.   

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: AirAux on October 08, 2015, 02:42:05 AM
PA GUY, careful there with the entitlement talk, I have 35 years in with CAP this time.  I have spent upwards of $100,000.00 of my own money in the last 35 years in order to be an active member and stay trained.  I have volunteered close to 10,000 hours in the past 35 years.  You don't even understand entitlement.  CAP is a recruiting tool for cadets.  I have served.  I am ashamed of what the Air Force and CAP are doing to the cadet program.  Why the hell should this be a profit making endeavor for Vanguard when the Air Force can and has provided this service to the cadets in the past.  Many youngster will be denied access to CAP because their parents either can't afford it or won't.

CAP is cheaper than literally any other organized thing a kid can do. The cost for the basic items is ~150, with the voucher $50. Sure AAFES used to do it for $65, but they took MONTHS to deliver, usually when a kid already sourced the uniform elsewhere. That was part of the reason for the change.

As to $1000 encampments for 2....what kind of travel was involved and what was the cost of the actual event? Has anyone priced out space camp recently?

xray328

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on October 08, 2015, 02:59:06 AM
Quote from: AirAux on October 08, 2015, 02:42:05 AM

CAP is cheaper than literally any other organized thing a kid can do. The cost for the basic items is ~150, with the voucher $50. Sure AAFES used to do it for $65, but they took MONTHS to deliver, usually when a kid already sourced the uniform elsewhere. That was part of the reason for the change.

As to $1000 encampments for 2....what kind of travel was involved and what was the cost of the actual event? Has anyone priced out space camp recently?

I've already had this debate Captain.  We're in the same wing, look at the summer encampments packing list then multiply x 2 plus encampment fees. I know we could of saved some money if we sewed on the patches but we weren't experienced enough in the sewing department at the time and I doubt most parents are. (Please save the learn to sew comments). We paid $25 per BDU top for that x 6. We drove them down and I'm not including that in the $1,000.

AAFES could of been fixed. The months it took to get out uniforms seems like a logistics issue. I can't see a reason, and admittedly I'm in no way all knowing, that "Vanguard" couldn't just be a part of AAFES with the sole purpose of getting AF quality uniform items (cheaper) out in a timely fashion.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: xray328 on October 08, 2015, 03:07:52 AM

I've already had this debate Captain.  We're in the same wing, look at the summer encampments packing list then multiply x 2 plus encampment fees. I know we could of saved some money if we sewed on the patches but we weren't experienced enough in the sewing department at the time and I doubt most parents are. (Please save the learn to sew comments). We paid $25 per BDU top for that x 6. We drove them down and I'm not including that in the $1,000.

AAFES could of been fixed. The months it took to get out uniforms seems like a logistics issue. I can't see a reason, and admittedly I'm in no way all knowing, that "Vanguard" couldn't just be a part of AAFES with the sole purpose of getting AF quality uniform items (cheaper) out in a timely fashion.

I have my own opinions on requiring 3 sets of BDUs...I think it's wasteful. But you can't say the cost will  be there for the following year, at least.

Quite frankly, even if it's $500 all said and done per cadet, per week, that's a lot cheaper than a lot of "camps".

Plus, those uniforms won't simply stay at encampment, so not quite a "sunk" cost.

PA Guy

Air Aux,

Oh please. I have you beat in longevity by about 20 yrs. I have also served and never followed how much I spent but I was gone from home about 6 wks this summer  on my dime working for CAP and cadets. So don't try to play salty with me.

The cadet program is in the best health it has been for decades. It has problems but they are being addressed and as resources become available. The old cadet uniform program was a disaster in my opinion. If the voucher was ever received you could expect the package from AAFES anywhere from 1wk to never. It was an unworkable system.

As to the why the AF hasn't been involved you need to ask them. Considering they have been at war for over 10 yrs and having to deal with sequestration may have had something to do with it. If you want to be ashamed of the AF that is your call