A Warning, A friendly warning but still a warning.

Started by Cliff_Chambliss, September 04, 2018, 01:16:10 PM

Cliff_Chambliss

If you are 50+ please go get the Shingles shot. The shot will not prevent Shingles but should you contract it it will be a "kinder and Gentler" form. How do I know this? Last Tuesday a burning sensation around the right shoulder blade. By Wednesday pain (felt about halfway between being kicked by a horse and being shot (yes I've had both)) that was constant with occasional "stabs". On a 1-10 scale the underlying constant pain was about a 5-6 and the stabs a hard 8. Then the rash and pain started to migrate. A band from above the right breast through the armpit to the shoulder blade. Constant, no comfortable way to sit, clothes aggravated the burning. Now on a strong anti-viral and a drug to help lessen the nerve endings pain. Yesterday I started applying a 4% lidocane 10% alcohol solution and for the first time in a week I was able to actually sleep for more than 2 hours, and do something more than making dying noises. Today my upper chest feels like a big muscle pull or bruise and the doctor says I can expect this to last for up to several weeks. I am looking for 10% lidocane in Aspercreame. If this is "kinder and Gentler" I really feel for those who develop the full blown disease. Folks, it just plain out hurts and it hurts a lot, and it just keeps on hurting. So, again, if you are 50+ and have not done so, please talk to your doctor and get the Shingles Shot. If you have already had the shot and its more than 5 years ago, talk to your doctor you may need another.
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

capmaj

Sound advice.

And if you had the older shot, please remember that there is now a newer form of the serum being administered. This comes as a two-shot series spaced 2-6 months apart.

The new shot can smart-a-mite, but it beats the hell out of getting any form of shingles!

MSG Mac

Had the first one, clinic said wait out about 4 months before ne t (vaccine in short supply)
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Live2Learn

Good advice for self to get vaccinated!...  Better advice (that you get vaccinated!) for others in your family, friends, or people you might meet as you go agonizingly through your shingles outbreak.  Shingles is a possibility for anyone who has had chicken pox... and by the way, if shingles is your fate... you will become highly contagious (for chickenpox) and can pass that disease on to others... who may then later develop shingles.  AND, just because you experienced shingles once... does not mean you can't get it again.

https://www.healthline.com/health/shingles-contagious
"Aug 3, 2017 - You can't spread the condition to another person. However, the varicella-zoster virus is contagious, and if you have shingles, you can spread the virus to another person, which could then cause them to develop chickenpox. The varicella-zoster virus will stay in that person's nerve tissue for the rest of their life."

Get your shingles shot!  The newer vaccine is supposed to be 90% effective in preventing singles.  The older one only offered a reduced likelihood of about 60%... 

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Live2Learn on September 05, 2018, 01:49:27 AM
Good advice for self to get vaccinated!...  Better advice (that you get vaccinated!) for others in your family, friends, or people you might meet as you go agonizingly through your shingles outbreak.  Shingles is a possibility for anyone who has had chicken pox... and by the way, if shingles is your fate... you will become highly contagious (for chickenpox) and can pass that disease on to others... who may then later develop shingles.  AND, just because you experienced shingles once... does not mean you can't get it again.

https://www.healthline.com/health/shingles-contagious
"Aug 3, 2017 - You can't spread the condition to another person. However, the varicella-zoster virus is contagious, and if you have shingles, you can spread the virus to another person, which could then cause them to develop chickenpox. The varicella-zoster virus will stay in that person's nerve tissue for the rest of their life."

Get your shingles shot!  The newer vaccine is supposed to be 90% effective in preventing singles.  The older one only offered a reduced likelihood of about 60%...

I got mine. My brother-in-law's shingles ridden face convinced me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.