Remote Planning

Started by SARDOC, June 29, 2014, 01:35:36 AM

SARDOC

One of the current trends in my AO, is the need for Mission Planning function.  The Planning Section according to ICS typically generates the IAP for following Operational Periods.  The need for the planning function has State SAR assets trying remote planning.  A group of Experienced SAR folks in a remote location (not at a sometimes austere Mission Base) where resources are prestaged and available to quickly generate tasks and OP objectives.

I know there are some drawbacks with not being at the same location but that can be done with a conference call for the planning brief.  The Planning section can typically get more done quickly in a dedicated atmosphere.

Has anyone else out there experimented with remote planning?

Eclipse

We've done it with multiple bases where the IC or ICP is in one place and the crews launch from elsewhere.

With groupware tools like GDrive, the need for everyone to come together and hold hands for an AM brief,
just to leave immediately and drive back to where they live for the sorties is quickly going the way of the Dodo.

Frankly, the more removed you can get the PSC from current ops, the better - that way they are working
"next" instead of "now", and their intel is more fully baked.  I've seen more then one Planning cell get into
a loop as they tried to keep one ear on the radio and the other on the Branches while trying to
plan sorties based on neither (or both).

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Nothing wrong with remote planning.

In fact a centerlised location for the planning cell is actually optimal in my way of thinking.

All the clues, intel and taskings from the requesting agencies go to the Planning Cell....who generate the taskings in IMU.

The AOBD and GOBD either at the deployed location or a central location generate the sorties.

At the deployed location you only need three things.

A Plannning Cell member to brief and debrief the crew.
A FRO to release the sortie.
A MRO to keep radio contact with the crew.

Just about everything else can be remoted.

Having said that......it is still a good idea to have a PAO, a Mission Chaplain, and an IC (actually a Strike Force Leader) on site to handle the local PR and family members.

Be centralizing the Planning and and other functions you can build yourself a really good "mission base" that has all the assets you need to get the job done.

No real need to drag your entire ICS staff out to the sticks just to sortie 3 aircraft. 
Send a LO to the local EMS command post who is the interface between the real IC and the CAP IC at the CAP Command Post.   The CAP command post then interfaces with the deployed mission base.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP