NBC Washington News story on ELTs featuring CAP!

Started by spacecommand, August 10, 2012, 05:35:42 AM

spacecommand

I was browsing through the net and came across this cool news video, not sure how long it will be up but catch it if you can!

edit tinyurl:
http://tinyurl.com/8hq9fn7

"Pilots Fight NTSB Over the Use of Emergency Beacons

The vast majority of pilots refuse to use a new technology that could save lives and millions of dollars when planes go down. Instead, they're fighting the government over a proposed mandate to install new emergency locator beacons. The News4 I-Team's Tisha Thompson gets lost in the woods to explain the debate."

Майор Хаткевич

Walkman

Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 10, 2012, 06:05:45 AM
Sounds like some good PAO work.

Agreed. Lots of footage of both aircrews and GTs in the spot. Nice job.

Critical AOA

Incredible, it was a fairly well balanced story giving both sides pretty equal time while at the same time giving CAP some free publicity.

The one inaccuracy I saw was that they mentioned the price was only about $500.  Well, that would be for the absolute cheapest model on the market and would be for the unit itself.  If it was not a direct replacement / plug-in for one's current unit then there most likely would be installation costs as well.    BTW, the cheapest direct replacement unit I saw via a quick search on Aircraft Spruce was $581.  More than likely the cost for a fully installed midrange unit will be more likely in the $1500 range.

That being said, when I finally get around to buying my own aircraft, I will put a 406 MHz unit in it if it does not already have one. 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Майор Хаткевич

If someone can afford the plane, the hangar and the fuel, they can afford this.