New User Introduction (suggestion)

Started by Stonewall, December 06, 2012, 06:14:10 PM

Stonewall

On an Air Force forum board, they require new members to formally introduce themselves before they can begin posting.  I know we have an unofficial intro page, but thought I'd suggest this here, too.

Example:

NEW USER INTRODUCTION

Senior Member or Cadet?
Senior

Which wing?
Florida, formerly National Capital.

CAP Specialty or Interests
ES/Ground Ops and Cadet Programs

Membership dates; cadet and/or senior?
Cadet: 1987 - 1991
Senior: 1991 - Present

Highest CAP achievement; cadet and/or senior?
Cadet: Mitchell
Senior: Garber

Tell us about yourself:
I joined as a cadet in FLWG, enlisted into the Army after high school and while on active duty re-joined as a senior member in DCWG.  I remained active in DCWG up until I moved back to FLWG in 2006, but have remained mostly inactive due to life changes, namely having children.  I am also in the Air Guard which occupies a lot of my free time.

I have served as DCC of two different squadrons and CC of one.  Other squadron level assignments include Leadership Officer and Emergency Services Officer.  I served as the "Search & Rescue Officer" at the wing level for one year.

In 1999 I was Commandant of the Advanced Course at NGSAR, now called NESA.

Thoughts?  I know some wish to remain annoynymous, but you can remain vague if desired.  But I think a required intro would be a good idea.  No?
Serving since 1987.

Майор Хаткевич

Can this be made as part of the profile?

Cool Mace

I think it being part of your profile would be better, if people wish to tell us about themselves in more detail.

We already have a post to introduce yourself, and to show yourself. I don't see a reason for it. But, it's not a bad idea by any means.
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

Майор Хаткевич

Reason I ask about profile additions is because if this is in a topic somewhere and it's not the posters first post, it's going to be REAL hard to find. 

Stonewall

Quote from: usafaux2004 on December 06, 2012, 07:05:53 PM
Reason I ask about profile additions is because if this is in a topic somewhere and it's not the posters first post, it's going to be REAL hard to find.

True, but I don't think the intent on the other site was for looking someone up, it was for introducing new people to the forum.  Mainly because someone would show up out of the blue and no one knew who they were.  It was a means to simply intro newbies to the current clan.
Serving since 1987.

Майор Хаткевич

So what you are saying is close down the current introduce yourself topic, and start one up with that type of layout? I'd be down with that.

Stonewall

Quote from: usafaux2004 on December 06, 2012, 07:11:18 PM
So what you are saying is close down the current introduce yourself topic, and start one up with that type of layout? I'd be down with that.

Yeah, something like that.  Almost like a new/fresh start to our current players, and a formal way to introduce the new players.

Create a new intro as a sticky, with a specific format.
Serving since 1987.

West MI-CAP-Ret

Something to add.  I find this site to be mostly very professional.  Requiring a formal autobiography to introduce themselves to the group would only help the moderators and give even more accountability.  (Can someone remind me if our capid# is required to join this group?)

Thanks, Dave
MAJ DAVID J. D'ARCY, CAP (Ret) 8 Apr 2018 (1974-1982, 1988-2018)
A former member of:
West Michigan Group MI-703,
Hudsonville Cadet Sqdron MI-135 (name changed to Park Township, Al Johnson Cadet Sqdrn)
Lakeshore Cadet Sqdrn MI-119
Van Dyke Cadet Sqdrn, MI-117
Phoenix Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-065 (inactive)
Novi Sixgate Cadet Sqdrn (inactive), MI-068
Inkster Cherry Hill Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-283 (inactive)

Майор Хаткевич

CAPID Is not required, and some prefer to be anonymous (to the extent that it is possible.)

a2capt

Tim Medeiros

I think I know which AF message board you're talking about Stonewall, and I couldn't agree more.  Rather than have all the intro posts in one thread, I'd say have an intro forum so that intros don't get lost in responses.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

capmaj

A question though................... What about a non-member who wishes to just ask a question or two about what CAP is all about or how they go about membership? They obviously wouldn't have any info to post. Would a 'Guest questions' section be required?

Abby.L

Quote from: capmaj on January 09, 2013, 09:16:53 PM
A question though................... What about a non-member who wishes to just ask a question or two about what CAP is all about or how they go about membership? They obviously wouldn't have any info to post. Would a 'Guest questions' section be required?

Maybe they could just fill it out in such a way that it would be clear of their intent?

Ex: "Senior member or cadet?
Interested in joining, I'm 17. So, I think a cadet.

Wing?
Well, I live in themiddleofnowhere, so I imagine it's themiddleofnowhere wing."

Something to that extent?   :P
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Stonewall

Quote from: capmaj on January 09, 2013, 09:16:53 PM

The AF site I'm talking about has a TON of non-AF members on it.  Mostly those who are looking to join the AF, moms of AF members, or former AF members.  Having this new user intro would not require someone to be a CAP member, but otherwise introduce themselves where they could explain their interest in CAP, whatever it may be.
Serving since 1987.