Main Menu

2008 TC3

Started by freeflight, October 08, 2008, 12:14:40 AM

freeflight

The meteoroid 2008 TC3 hits Earth, becoming the first such object to be discovered prior to impact.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_TC3

♠SARKID♠

QuoteIt exploded tens of kilometers above the ground with the energy of around one kiloton of TNT, equal to a very low-yield nuclear weapon,[9] causing a large fireball in the early morning sky

Dang, I would have loved to have seen that.  Actually, I did a number of years ago.  I was at scout camp and saw a similar event where a giant ball of light streaked across the sky; made shooting stars look like wet matches.

DC

The article on Wikipedia said it exploded with the force of a low-yield nuclear weapon, and was seen by an airliner 900 miles away....

I bet that was a really cool sight.

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: DC on October 09, 2008, 04:36:11 AM
The article on Wikipedia said it exploded with the force of a low-yield nuclear weapon, and was seen by an airliner 900 miles away....

I bet that was a really cool sight.

Or it made the passengers think that Ragnarok was upon them

pixelwonk

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on October 09, 2008, 04:22:46 AM
Dang, I would have loved to have seen that.  Actually, I did a number of years ago.  I was at scout camp and saw a similar event where a giant ball of light streaked across the sky; made shooting stars look like wet matches.
The moon does have that effect.  :D