USAF Funded G1000 Proficiency Flying

Started by sdcapmx, February 10, 2010, 02:17:59 AM

davidsinn

Quote from: sdcapmx on February 12, 2010, 02:22:58 AM
The closest squadron to the member is about 150 miles.  We don't have the luxury in the great Midwest to always have AC close by.

As for flying cadets in the G1000, we do it if there is a G1000 at the squadron but by using that AC we lose out on a number of flights due to the added fuel cost.  If we get three cadets on each O Ride we can touch 30 more cadets by flying the 172 vs the 182 with our current budget.

I wish I had that budget for flights. I can only pull off about double that total with a 172. That's for an entire group.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

sdcapmx

That is for our whole wing.  Based on last years budget as I don't know the total budget for this year yet.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: sdcapmx on February 10, 2010, 02:17:59 AM
How many wings have some sort of G1000 proficiency flying for mission pilots? ]

In my opinion it is a safety issue.  The more stick time we can get our mission pilots the better and believe it or not some will not spend thousands of their own dollars to remain proficient in the G1000.
I think the mix of aircraft in the wing will have an impact on funding available.  HOWEVER,  I think eventually CAP is going to have to make some hard decisions on "volunteer" mission pilot management & funded training.  Everyone that wants training in the G1000 may not get it.  Those that are willing to make themselves available to fly both scheduled and unscehduled missions (and actually do it) will need to get the priority training (and funding if available).  If there's pilots that do very little or no mission flying than no funding should be provided to them.   
I know recently our squadron ops officer/CFI got checked out in the G1000 and can now train other CAP pilots locally, which should help out significantly.
RM

davidsinn

Quote from: sdcapmx on February 13, 2010, 11:59:08 PM
That is for our whole wing.  Based on last years budget as I don't know the total budget for this year yet.

What I meant was my entire budget is just under twice your fuel burn difference between a 172 and 182 Nav III.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

sdcapmx

I doubt that the IN budget is less than the SD budget.

davidsinn

Quote from: sdcapmx on February 22, 2010, 03:42:39 AM
I doubt that the IN budget is less than the SD budget.

You're misunderstanding what I'm trying to say. The amount of flying time difference that you have between using 172 versus 182 is roughly the size of my groups o-ride budget(ie it you get 200 rides with 182 but 250 rides with 172) I can get about 50 rides total with my budget. I am only responsible for my group. To date I still have not had my funds released so I can't even fly any cadets yet.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

sdcapmx

According to what I am seeing from the last National Board, they are seeing it my way.  Funded proficiency training.  It only makes sense.....