Main Menu

G1000 helpers

Started by scooter, February 02, 2009, 06:10:21 PM

scooter

Going to start a G1000 checkout. Are there any cheat sheets/short cuts/user guides on how to find pages and do the set ups out there?  :)

heliodoc

Scooter

The Garmin website has downloads available

The NM Wing has a few downloads PLUS the Garmin products

Depending on your Wing and that is depending.................Ask for the "boyz" who got to go to Independence, KS and ASK THEM.   They ought to be producing the material to get the membership up to speed. 

There are other books such as Max Trescott sold by Sporty's and some other King DVD's out there

I am in the same boat scooter but I haven/t flown lately to be speedy enough to tell you more than what I have written so far

We will see who else can help you here......

sparks

Repetition is your firend. If you can borrow or buy the King course it is the best resource for home study. The course requires registration on the computer it's installed on so borrowing means de-registration from one machine and registration on a different one.

If the aircraft has one of the portable power supplies you can power up the G1000 on the ground without starting the engine. Again going through the various flight plan and approach tasks several times over days and weeks is the key. Paging through the MFD multiple times is a must too. Trying to absorb all of it in flight isn't the best method, too much going on. Being a passenger (back or front seat) on a G1000 flight also can help> Emory -Riddle discovered years ago that pairing up students in a 172 (one training one observing) accelerated training.

The Richard Collins CD from Sproty's won't do much good. It is just a brief introduction to the G1000.

Good Luck 

CASH172

Unfortunately, learning how to use the basic functions of the G1000 can really only be learned through practice.  The programs mentioned above are good for accelerating the learning process. 

Some tips I can give are:
Use the Inset Map on the PFD.  It can give you a good amount of situational awareness right there on your side.  Also, you can see the current winds. 

Use all the bug functions possible.  They've always been a big help. 

If you're going for an instrument check, develop technique for having the standby instruments in a very weird place. 

Also, don't forget to use the XM Radio to prevent boredom from taking over on long flights. ;)

cap102

I have created a G1000 Intro Guide for my flight school. If anyone would like a copy please send me an email and i can email or mail you a copy. You can also go to www.cindtronix.com and view a brief presentation about the VFR functions of the G1000 (located on the righthand side of the webpage). I also reconmend the G1000 flight sim created by Garmin. You can buy the sim for about $25.00 and works well for IFR simulation.
BENJAMIN F. EMERICK, COL, CAP
Commander, Rhode Island Wing

caprr275

^ I love the sim for the G1000!

another good way is go sit in the airplane with the ground power unit pluged in and just try and find your way around for a hour or so. just make sure your actually on ground power or you will kill the batt

airdale

IMHO, using the G430/530 Garmin simulators can be a big help to learn the nav functions.  THe reason is that you can fly the simulated airplane around at up to 600 knt using the AP heading bug.  This lets you set up flight plans and zip from interesting part to interesting part easily.  You can't do that with the G1000 sim, at least with the original one-screen version that is the last one I have played with.  As far as function, the G1000 is more or less a G430/530 with a better color tv.

AllenJ

Microsoft Flight Simulator X Deluxe has the G1000.  It's not fully functional (e.g. you can't access the nav menu), but it's good for practicing most of the in flight switchology and getting used to the display.

scooter

Thanks for the tips. Now I am looking for a way to put a grid on the MFD and then mark a target. Is there some simple way? FWIW here is a map of the MFD page flow.

scooter

For some reason the PDF file did not post.  Will try and figure this out and take another pass at it.

genejackson

The new Garmin G1000 sim disk will allow you to do DUAL SCREEN TRAINING.   I load it onto my laptop and connect a second LCD monitor to the laptop.   I then have the PFD on the laptop, MFD on the second screen and I've
"flown" well over 100 hrs and 100-150 IFR approaches on it.   This is an excellent way to stay fresh on the G1000 systems and finding your way around all the menus.

The SIM disk in addition to the entire US IFR charts also has the SAR sofware installed as well and you can load and practice your EXPANDING SQUARE, PARALLEL TRACK and SECTOR SEARCHES on the laptop/LCD before you go fly the real thing in the G1000.   

I teach the G1000 to our Mission Pilots and we actually pre-fly all our Fertile Keynote intercept routes and tracks on the SIM before the real mission when teaching new Intercept pilots.

Gene Jackson
COL (R) US Army
Danville VA