Glider CFI Article

Started by Flying Pig, January 16, 2009, 05:28:21 PM

Flying Pig

I am looking into doing my CFI.  Although I would love to do it in everything....Im thinking Gliders to start.  That way I can teach my son.   Anyway, I found this article.  Interesting thoughts from a CFI on the human nature to do everything with as little time and energy as possible

http://www.eglider.org/newsarticles/soaringmyths.htm

Timbo

Interesting article, but you an I both know that we had to memorize terminology, and could forget it after we got the license.  Terminology does not save your life in a stall.  Experience does.  Terminology and citing statistics does not make a person a good pilot.  Only through hands on experience and instruction from an awesome teacher will you yourself become a good pilot.

Yes....I know there are many suck pilots out there, but more often there are awesome pilots.

As far as asking "test questions" to a group of pilots, I think most will laugh at you and walk away (not you Flying Pig, I mean in general).  Heck, our 14 year old Cadets can ramble off answers to similar questions, but can they all fly......not really! 

Flying Pig

Ive had cadets tell me they could land a plane based off of what they learned in an aerospace class!  I think what he was getting at is the old saying of "The knowledge is in the detail." 

If your initial training foundation is lacking, the instructors who are later produced from that pool will be lacking, and over time, the quality will continue to slide.  Especially now with these economic times, the first question asked is "What's the minimum time I can do this?"

I know the briefing I got from the instructor when I started helicopter training was, "I am not a financial planner, I dont want to know about your finances, your loans or how you have to work overtime to pay for this.  We all did.  I will get you qualified and trained in as little time and money as possible but we arent going to cut corners to save money."

I said....Roger