Grass Strip landing regs?

Started by Rangercap, October 24, 2008, 12:35:01 AM

Rangercap

Years ago, I recall an issue with CAP aircraft and landing on grass strips. Does anyone know the current regs on grass strips? Not just emergencies, but routine landings. Thanks

Brian
PAWG

bosshawk

Like most other things about flying in CAP, I would suggest that Reg 60-1 would have the answer.  I haven't read the reg in awhile, so I wouldn't hazard a guess.  I seem to recall that grass strips are not to be used except in an emergency.  We have pilots who have enough trouble successfully landing on concrete or asphalt, so why tempt fate on grass?

Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

lordmonar

Quote from: 60-12-2. Authorized Airfields. Unless otherwise authorized, CAP aircraft may operate to and from the following:
a. Civilian airports listed in the current FAA Airport/Facility Directory.
b. Other civilian airfields for which prior written permission has been obtained from both the owner/operator and either the Executive Director, region commander, or wing commander depending on the level of aircraft assignment.
c. USAF and Other Military Airfields. For official purposes only, CAP aircraft may be authorized to land at USAF and other military airfields, provided there are no adequate civil facilities within reasonable proximity of the requested military airfield. When on an Air Force-directed mission, advance permission must be obtained through the military organization being supported. For other official CAP purposes, landing requests must be obtained through the military organization being supported and the appropriate wing liaison office:
(1) Forty-five (45) days in advance for member-furnished aircraft.
(2) Five (5) working days in advance for CAP corporate aircraft unless other specific arrangements have been made with a particular military airfield.

Since the FAA airport/facility directory lists soft feilds....CAP can operate out of them.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

EMT-83

I visited a squadron in PA while on vacation this summer, and was surprised to see CAP aircraft operating on a grass strip. In CT, we are not allowed to use them. I was told that the former PAWG commander prohibited grass strip landings; the new commander says it's OK.

Rangercap

Quote from: EMT-83 on October 24, 2008, 11:51:12 AM
I visited a squadron in PA while on vacation this summer, and was surprised to see CAP aircraft operating on a grass strip. In CT, we are not allowed to use them. I was told that the former PAWG commander prohibited grass strip landings; the new commander says it's OK.

Maybe that's what I'm thinking of. thanks.

Brian
PAWG

davidsinn

Quote from: Rangercap on October 24, 2008, 11:59:24 AM
Quote from: EMT-83 on October 24, 2008, 11:51:12 AM

Maybe that's what I'm thinking of. thanks.

Brian
PAWG

We just lost a Maule at a flight academy this summer do to soft field operations. The nose wheel dug in and and flipped the aircraft. So I'd hazard to say it is authorized but discouraged.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

RiverAux

I'm almost positive that it was in 60-1 sometime in the last 10 years as I remember learning that when I joined.  However, the oldest 60-1 I still have (2001) doesn't seem to have that rule. 

JohnKachenmeister

Check your wing supplement to 60-1.  I'll bet it is in there.
Another former CAP officer

ricecakecm

When I wrote my wing's 60-1 supplement, I authorized specific grass runways that I knew were in good shape.  All others required DO approval.  I never had a problem with people flying on grass, just didn't want them to fly on grass runways that were poorly maintained.  If someone wanted one added, they just had to let me know and we'd consider it.

rgr84

What is the "official" definition/difference of airport versus airfield as it applies to 60-1? 

CaptCFI

The way I look at it 60-1 does not prohibit it.  As a CFI, I'd prefer not to sign off a cadet training to become a private pilot, certifying that they are competent to land on "soft" fields (per PTS)--without actually seeing they had the judgement to choose where to land, what to land on, and how to land on it.  That being said, I encourage those members who have been properly trained and using good judgement to land on grass.
My soul is in the sky.

— William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream,' Act V. Scene I.

es_g0d

I'd encourage anyone who thinks that landing on grass is hazardous to go out with an experienced CFI and do it.  (If you do it in a CAP aircraft, ensure your wing does not limit such operations if using a CAP aircraft)  Taking off and landing on grass is no more hazardous than any other aviation operation, but it is different if you are only used to hard-surfaces.  I might further note that there is a difference between soft-field operations and normal operations on turf.  Heaven forbid that your first non-hard-surfaced landing be a forced one.
Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

Flying Pig

^Hey....thats a cool site you have.

DG

Quote from: es_g0d on January 07, 2009, 01:44:39 AM
I'd encourage anyone who thinks that landing on grass is hazardous to go out with an experienced CFI and do it.  (If you do it in a CAP aircraft, ensure your wing does not limit such operations if using a CAP aircraft)  Taking off and landing on grass is no more hazardous than any other aviation operation, but it is different if you are only used to hard-surfaces.  I might further note that there is a difference between soft-field operations and normal operations on turf.  Heaven forbid that your first non-hard-surfaced landing be a forced one.
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

If I just happened to have the good fortune to be flying a CAP GA-8 in Alaska, how many CAP-authorized airports (listed in the FAA Airport/Facility Directory) would I pass on my way to a paved runway? 

JC004

That was a wing-level deal.  IDK what Col Lee says (altho I could ask him).  I don't think it was a written thing.  If it was, I never saw the memo.  If FW is around, he probably has useful insight on this.

KyCAP

Also, this was cleared up in the new CAPR 60-1 from the old language.  Looks like as long as there are no restrictions in the Wing Supplement then if a grass strip is in the FAA AFD then it's a legal strip for landing.
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

DG

Quote from: KyCAP on January 12, 2009, 08:55:48 PM
Also, this was cleared up in the new CAPR 60-1 from the old language.  Looks like as long as there are no restrictions in the Wing Supplement then if a grass strip is in the FAA AFD then it's a legal strip for landing.

It was the same under the prior 60-1.

KyCAP

Actually, the syntax of the sentences in the paragraphs shifted between the use of the word airport and airfield.  It was questioned in this thread earlier by other CAP members.
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

DG

Quote from: DG on January 14, 2009, 02:54:29 AM
Quote from: KyCAP on January 12, 2009, 08:55:48 PM

It was the same under the prior 60-1.

The prior 60-1 recited "Unless otherwise authorized, CAP aircraft may operate to and from the following:  a. Civilian airports in the current FAA Airport/Facility Directory."

The current 60-1 recites "Only civilian airports in the current FAA Airport/Facility Directory and military airfields (if approved by the military organization supported during a Supervised Mission or by CAP-USAF for all other flights) are authorized for CAP Aircraft."

In respect to the question of "Grass Strip landing regs," in this thread, it was the same under the prior 60-1.

FW

Quote from: JC004 on January 08, 2009, 06:01:26 AM
That was a wing-level deal.  IDK what Col Lee says (altho I could ask him).  I don't think it was a written thing.  If it was, I never saw the memo.  If FW is around, he probably has useful insight on this.

Yes, operations on grass strips is a "wing-level deal".  As far as I know, in PAWG, glider ops take place on grass strips at the Philadelphia Glider Club.  WIWAWCC, a CAP pilot could operate corporate aircraft out of grass strips after a check flight sign off.   It may still be the same today however, I would check with the Wing/HQ first.