Has anyone seen one of these in person?

Started by jimmydeanno, October 23, 2008, 05:02:03 PM

jimmydeanno

Just saw this: http://www.iconaircraft.com/

Looks "super awesome" to me, just wondering if anyone has any first hand interaction with it.  Thoughts?

Price is estimated at $135,000 and first delivery is in 2010...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

CAPLAW

jeders

Nice, but I don't think I'll have one in my hangar anytime soon.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

♠SARKID♠

Okay, the Lexus fund just got re-appropriated.

notaNCO forever

that looks like one cool plane. By the looks of it you only need a sport pilot license to fly it. Takes care of the need for a boat and plane all at once.

airdale

They had a nonflying display model at OSH.  Very slick package, very slick and expensive display.  The market need for the folding wings isn't obvious to me however.

That said, my experience is that startups with super-slick marketing (like these guys) usually founder for one reason or another.  Often it is that the management is so oriented to the marketing that they forget to make the product work, forget to get it out on time, or spend all the money on the marketing and on themselves before they finish the product.  Whoever their VC angels are they are not likely to be patient and understanding, especially in this investment market.  We'll see.

Pumbaa

Folding wings make perfect sense.  Transport it via trailer to your garage, no need to rent a hanger!  Haul it to your local lake and use that as your take off and landing spot.

I think of wear I grew up.  Had a large lake nearby, but the nearest landing strip was 20 minutes away.

MIKE

I suppose I should know this as an Auxie, but do you have to register a sea plane as both a boat and a plane?
Mike Johnston

SAR-EMT1

Negative. HOWEVER, using "no wake" areas for a runway is verboten.  ;D

Now the real question: can a VSC be performed on a seaplane   ::)
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Rob Sherlin

Now that's an awesome toy! I don't know if would classify as sport, ultralight or experimental, but it sure is cool!
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116

Rob Sherlin

I had to go back and look again! It would be real cool if they added wheel options to take off and land on solid ground too.
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

BillB

No boat registration is required for a seaplane. Just FAA registration. In fact USCG regulations don't apply to seaplanes (life perservers etc)  But many regulations that apply to boats also apply to seaplanes such as no wake rules.  I used to own a Lake amphibian, so I learned about seaplane rules and FAA regulations that apply to seaplanes.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

davidsinn

Quote from: Rob Sherlin on October 25, 2008, 06:25:06 AM
I had to go back and look again! It would be real cool if they added wheel options to take off and land on solid ground too.

It has optional retractable tricycle landing gear.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

brasda91

Quote from: Rob Sherlin on October 25, 2008, 06:25:06 AM

Look again:

http://www.iconaircraft.com/features.html
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

flynd94

Seen it..... an old student of mine is one of the engineers on it.
Keith Stason, Maj, CAP
IC3, AOBD, GBD, PSC, OSC, MP, MO, MS, GTL, GTM3, UDF, MRO
Mission Check Pilot, Check Pilot

Major Lord

It reminds me of the Hoverhawk, a hovercraft that flew over water in ground effect. Very cool! Popular Science has this animals' big brother on the cover this month: http://www.popsci.com/falxair

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

DC

Quote from: Major Lord on October 26, 2008, 10:43:45 PM
It reminds me of the Hoverhawk, a hovercraft that flew over water in ground effect. Very cool! Popular Science has this animals' big brother on the cover this month: http://www.popsci.com/falxair

Major Lord
That thing is freaking cool. Like a personal Osprey....

jspear

I saw it a couple of weeks ago at the Barrett-Jackson Auto Auction..

It is very cool
Lt. Col. Jack E. Spear, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson #280
Henderson Composite Squadron
PCR-NV-065
"Proudly serving since 1980"

Rob Sherlin

How about this one for a personal VTOL......

www.amvaircraft.com

JGremlin

I saw their static display last month at the AOPA EXPO. I'll echo what was said earlier about the track record for aviation startups who sink a ton of money into slick marketing before they actually have a product. That is especially true when the product is of an out of the ordinary design and/or contains a number of design feature which are brand new and therefore as yet unproven in the real world.

I wish them luck and I hope they do well. But based on what I've seen of their mockup and their choice to staff their EXPO display with young women who know far more about makeup then they'll ever know about aviation, I'd recommend against anyone giving them any deposit money until the planes are in production and rolling out the door. If fact, if the company were public, I'd probably short the stock.