Flights out of state?

Started by Cap_5526, November 22, 2014, 03:32:14 AM

Cap_5526

Jist a quick question, I am talking to some family about maybe going to georgia or florida this summer for encampment and we were wondering if I could fly for free on a charter flight? Probably a no but I really dont know

Eclipse

A charter flight from who? A private party?

Are you looking >for< someone to take you?

"That Others May Zoom"

sandite190

If you're talking about military planes then  no

MSG Mac

Talk to your Wing Cadet Programs Officer to find out if anyone else is going to an out of state encampment, than talk to them about carpooling and sharing costs for the drive.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Cap_5526

Update: Sorry everyone I should've been more specific. I meant Charter flights. or if there's discounts offered to CAP from any charter flights? Sorry If I confused anyone.

Eclipse

No, unless you arrange something personally,
and then you also need to get from whatever
airport to the encampment.

And that would also assume the idea was approved
by your unit CC, Wing CC, and Enc CC.

"That Others May Zoom"

Bulls729

Old post, but since you meant Summer of 2015 I'll answer.

First, if you wanted to fly "free" on Space-A, "technically" you could, but there's about every if, and, or but attached to that.

DoD 4515.13-R Governs that, specifically Page. 46

"C2.2.12. CAP

C2.2.12.1. Senior and cadet members of the CAP on aircraft not operated by
an activity financed through the DBOF-T when performing official CAP duties or when
supporting a CAP operational mission authorized by or at the request of the Air Force.
Travel is authorized in the CONUS, Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico.

C2.2.12.2. Participants in an USAF and CAP-approved Aerospace Education
Workshop. Travel is authorized from a single installation for the purpose of a field trip
scheduled as part of the approved curriculum."

Essentially, you would have to talk to your Sq. Commander, who would have to talk to Group, who would have to talk to Wing, who would have to talk to the CAP-USAF liaison attached to your Wing, to even justify if Encampment could fall into one of those categories, which is at CAP-USAF's discretion, however anyone in the CoC up to and before CAP-USAF can turn down your request before it even getting to them as they may consider it a waste of time and resources. Now let's say somehow you were approved, and the chances of that are slim to none, you'd have to get to an SPACE-A terminal in your state that flies where you want to go, and have travel arrangements from that location, not only that, you would be flying dead last in priority, so there's a strong possibility of you not even getting to where your going or coming home.

So let's talk more realistic avenues, if you want to go to FL, your cheapest way flying would be to fly out of Des Moines on Allegiant to either Sanford (Orlando) or Tampa, both are about the same distance road wise to Camp Blanding which is 2.5 hours from each. Flights each way will run you about $95-125 before bag fees, even with them is still cheaper than flying Delta, United, Etc. for $350+ a leg. Now it would be on you to find travel from Orlando or Tampa, and back again, now n this case it shouldn't be too difficult to contact local Sqs. to see who has a van going and on what day.
1st Lt.
IT Officer
FLWG