Main Menu

Lights on

Started by scooter, September 10, 2012, 11:16:09 PM

scooter

Here is some new info citing the AIM about the use of lights on the ground. I've been doing this for quite a while. Its really a good idea, especially the taxi light use. You can easily tell if your nose to nose from a long distance on a taxiway. I think the transponder thing requires special equipment at the airport.

The AIM, which is available at http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/aim/Index.htm, is updated in February and July of each year, and included in the last February change was an updated description of the "Operation Lights On" pilot safety program.

In section 4-3-23, Use of Aircraft Lights, paragraphs (c), (e), (f) and (g) describe the use of lights while on an airport. We invite you to go to the AIM and read each of these paragraphs. For example, paragraph (e) states, "Prior to commencing taxi, it is recommended to turn on navigation, position, antiĀ¬-collision, and logo lights (if equipped). To signal intent to other pilots, consider turning on the taxi light when the aircraft is moving or intending to move on the ground, and turning it off when stopped or yielding to other ground traffic. Strobe lights should not be illuminated during taxi if they will adversely affect the vision of other pilots or ground personnel".

Furthermore, the use of your transponder while taxiing is recommended in paragraph 4-1-20. It says, in part, Civil and military transponders should be turned to the "on" or normal altitude reporting position prior to moving on the airport surface to ensure the aircraft is visible to ATC surveillance systems.

SarDragon

Quote from: scooter on September 10, 2012, 11:16:09 PM
Here is some new info citing the AIM about the use of lights on the ground. I've been doing this for quite a while. Its really a good idea, especially the taxi light use. You can easily tell if your nose to nose from a long distance on a taxiway. I think the transponder thing requires special equipment at the airport.

Nope. It's all part of the ATC radar setup. Even if they can't get a good return from the radar, a transponder signal will frequently show up.

The radar depends on a reflected signal, which power decreases as the square of the distance. The transponder signal is transmitted by the aircraft equipment, and the power is in the tens of watts.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Thrashed

The lights are exactly how we do it at the airlines. Transponder too, even at airports that can't read it.
Strobe lights come on when taking the active runway.

Save the triangle thingy

PHall

Quote from: Thrashed on September 11, 2012, 12:02:02 AM
The lights are exactly how we do it at the airlines. Transponder too, even at airports that can't read it.

We even put the strobes on when we were crossing a runway.
Yeah, yeah, nobody is supposed to be using the runway when you're cleared to cross.
But strobes are cheap insurance!

JeffDG

Quote from: PHall on September 11, 2012, 12:13:37 AM

Yeah, yeah, nobody is supposed to be using the runway when you're cleared to cross.
I like to do an impression of the Las Vegas strip myself whenever in the vicinity of an airport!

The transponder while taxiing is new...used to be they wanted it in "Standby" because all the blips in the same place wasn't good.

PHall

Quote from: JeffDG on September 11, 2012, 12:42:28 AM
Quote from: PHall on September 11, 2012, 12:13:37 AM

I like to do an impression of the Las Vegas strip myself whenever in the vicinity of an airport!

The transponder while taxiing is new...used to be they wanted it in "Standby" because all the blips in the same place wasn't good.

It does make the TCAS a bit crazy. Which is why you put the Transponder in T/R and not RA.

denverpilot

The current FAR says "all anti-collision lights" on at all times when the aircraft is in motion. It only allows for turning off specific lights if a threat to safety is determined by the pilot.

Airlines are welcome to have strobes off unless on a runway because they wrote their own OPSpecs and have it approved by FAA as their "law". Military also. Absent an overriding OPSpec, the FAR says "all".

Many airline and military pilots teach this strobe technique to non-military and non-airline pilots because of familiarity with it, not based on the FARs. They also learned in aircraft with bulbs, not LED technology which is rapidly becoming the norm and saving bulb life was weighted against visibility sometimes.

When is it a safety issue?  That's the PICs call. On a ramp in daylight, it's unlikely strobes of any power common on light aircraft will cause a safety issue for other aircraft. At night, it's easier to say it was the pilot's judgement call but they'd better be able to back it up before an ALJ with a safety reason for turning them off if the aircraft is in motion.

The FAA Chief Counsel affirmed this in a recent letter in response to a pilot who questioned the operation of ALL anti-collision lights on an aircraft equipped with two anti-collision systems as defined by FAA, a beacon and strobes.  Chief Council said both must be operated unless there is a safety reason not to, as determined by the PIC at the time.

So like many of the things the Chief Counsel has stuck their nose into, they've strengthened the legal position against operating without all lights on in any possible future enforcement action.

If the rule is written badly, the Chief Counsel will definitely amplify it, these days.

The taxi light is not an FAA approved anti-collision lighting system, and the AIM is non-regulatory, but the taxi light as an additional warning of motion, is a reasonable operation and would probably be backed up by an ALJ at the bench.

If you're flying something really old that blows light bulbs like well, light bulbs, you might be able to make a case for not burning it out, but it's your call as PIC if you want to run that risk over a $10 light bulb.

Flying Pig

Discussions like this are great.  An an instructor.... I always HATE doing things just because thats how we'v always done it. 

Im a helo/airplane CFI.  So Ive had a lot of instructors, done lots of flight training and a 9 check rides.  And I have ALWAYS been told to leave your transponder off until you are ready to taxi out ON TO the runway.  Now, reading the AIM, the FAA is saying to turn it on for taxi?  How is it that who knows how many CFI's and at least 5 different examiners have all over looked this part? 

Seriously..... Ive ALWAYS been taught to leave it on stand by right up to the hold short lines. 

As far as taxi'ing with your strobes on..... Many times Ive actually had to stop and look away when a plane taxi's by on a T intersection because they have their strobes going as they taxi at night.  Those of us with NVGs really appreciate it when you dont  ;D   I was sitting on the pad last night at about 10pm getting ready to go, goggles down, nice and dark and quiet on the airport and here comes a plane taxi'ing with all of his lights on.  Position, Anti-Collision, Wing tip "high beams"  HOLY COW!  Both of us were doing what we were supposed to do....but one of us couldnt see!  Could have done without the strobes! 

a2capt

There's a certain amount of irony there. The lights are to be seen, but if you're up close, you don't want to use them because the other aircraft operators don't want to actually see them. ;-)

I know .. it just sounds funny.

Flying Pig

At work we have all LED lights on our helicopters and airplane.  You cant even look at the aircraft at night without having spots in your eyes!

scooter

Strobes at night during taxi should be the PICs safety out for not using them until taking the runway. Especially at a busy airport. Everyone can see you but destroying the night vision of the pilots around you us just dumb! At the airlines, me being one of them awhile ago, they have the right idea on strobes at night.

scooter

Just had another thought. Have not seen anything from CAP Safety on this. Wonder why?

Critical AOA

All CAP safety could legitimately say is to follow the FARs and POH.  What else would you like them to say? 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

scooter

Spread the word maybe. Encourage pilots to do this.

JeffDG

Quote from: scooter on September 15, 2012, 05:11:29 PM
Just had another thought. Have not seen anything from CAP Safety on this. Wonder why?
I've gotten a copy of this from our Stan/Eval people.

Personally, I'd rather they handle this than generic Safety.  The Stan/Eval folks understand flight safety intimately.

scooter

Yea, I think Stan/Eval is a good idea. However, sometimes they need a push. Haven't heard a word about this from our wing DOV. :( Even sent the links to the DO and still nothing! :-[