Second in command time as an MO

Started by SABRE17, May 13, 2012, 10:27:56 PM

SABRE17

My Dad posed this question to me today, and I honestly had no idea. Can an Mission Observer who is a rated pilot (PPL SEL in my case) count the time in the right seat on a mission/training exercise as second in command time???

Sorry if this question has been asked before but the search feature was no help.

Cliff_Chambliss

I would invite your attention to 14CFR61.55.  Basically to log Second in Command either the aircraft requires two pilots or the operation requires two pilots.  Since no CAP mission requires two fully rated pilots, the answer is no. 
A good question, but the answer is no.
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

JeffDG

Quote from: Cliff_Chambliss on May 14, 2012, 12:05:21 AM
I would invite your attention to 14CFR61.55.  Basically to log Second in Command either the aircraft requires two pilots or the operation requires two pilots.  Since no CAP mission requires two fully rated pilots, the answer is no. 
A good question, but the answer is no.
Not quite true...

If the pilot is doing simulated instrument (highbird is a great opportunity for brushing up on your basic attitude and holding patterns), then FAA regulations require a second pilot.  (Ref:  14 CFR 91.109(c)(1) http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=64e5b23295d1dc8c1459655a3d3fa38c&rgn=div5&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.3.10&idno=14#14:2.0.1.3.10.2.4.5 )

Eclipse

Quote from: JeffDG on May 14, 2012, 01:04:47 AM(highbird is a great opportunity for brushing up on your basic attitude and holding patterns)

Highbird is >not< a great time for the MO to be doing anything else but paying attention to the radio.  In fact, increasingly we are placing HRO's in the right seat instead of observers.

Pilots slotting as observers and then flying from the right seat is a problem, not an opportunity.  MO's have specific duties and their own work to do, this is not the time to be trying to sneak stick time.

The first person to respond with anything that involves the term, or idea, "safety pilot" gets an atomic wedgie.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Quote from: Cliff_Chambliss on May 14, 2012, 12:05:21 AM
Since no CAP mission requires two fully rated pilots, the answer is no. 
There are some missions that CAP flies for the Air Force (training support) that do require 2 pilots, but they are quite rare.

coudano

QuoteHighbird is >not< a great time for the MO to be doing anything else but paying attention to the radio.  In fact, increasingly we are placing HRO's in the right seat instead of observers.

I was gonna say; unless...
a) you have a radio operator on board
b) the airplane is configured as an airborne repeater (not an airborne voice relay)

JeffDG

Quote from: coudano on May 14, 2012, 02:52:03 AM
QuoteHighbird is >not< a great time for the MO to be doing anything else but paying attention to the radio.  In fact, increasingly we are placing HRO's in the right seat instead of observers.

I was gonna say; unless...
a) you have a radio operator on board
b) the airplane is configured as an airborne repeater (not an airborne voice relay)
(b) was what I was referring to.

av8tr1

Quote from: Eclipse on May 14, 2012, 01:28:20 AM
Quote from: JeffDG on May 14, 2012, 01:04:47 AM(highbird is a great opportunity for brushing up on your basic attitude and holding patterns)

Highbird is >not< a great time for the MO to be doing anything else but paying attention to the radio. 

Pilots slotting as observers and then flying from the right seat is a problem, not an opportunity.  MO's have specific duties and their own work to do, this is not the time to be trying to sneak stick time.

:clap: +10000000000000000000000 Thought I was the only one who felt this way. 

Mustang

Nope, not by a longshot. I've said the same thing for years.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "