Garmin G1000 radio tuning errors??

Started by Capt. Chris Homko, March 13, 2010, 08:53:28 PM

Capt. Chris Homko

I am a CAP Captain in the Indiana Wing and hold an ATP with about 3,000 hours. I have two type ratings in aircraft that have glass cockpits and still made a basic "Student pilot" type radio tuning mistake in the first few hours I flew the G1000 C182T. For me I believe that pilot workload had something to do with it. I was attempting my first autopilot coupled ILS to Anderson airport in IN when the autopilot uncoupled on me. Apparently, I had tuned the correct frequency into nav one, but had not "flipped" the frequency to the active position on the radio. Anyone else have issues like this flying the G1000? When I talked to other experienced CAP pilots, they seemed to indicate to me that "it happens every once in a while". I have a theory about why this might be happening, but would like others to comment about this especially if your tuning error always seems to occur with navigation frequencies.

Capt. Chris Homko
GLR-IN-069

c172drv

I've always loaded up the approach and let the system load and flip to green needles for me so I don't screw up.

John
John Jester
VAWG

DG

Quote from: chomkoglrin069 on March 13, 2010, 08:53:28 PM
I am a CAP Captain in the Indiana Wing and hold an ATP with about 3,000 hours. I have two type ratings in aircraft that have glass cockpits and still made a basic "Student pilot" type radio tuning mistake in the first few hours I flew the G1000 C182T. For me I believe that pilot workload had something to do with it. I was attempting my first autopilot coupled ILS to Anderson airport in IN when the autopilot uncoupled on me. Apparently, I had tuned the correct frequency into nav one, but had not "flipped" the frequency to the active position on the radio. Anyone else have issues like this flying the G1000? When I talked to other experienced CAP pilots, they seemed to indicate to me that "it happens every once in a while". I have a theory about why this might be happening, but would like others to comment about this especially if your tuning error always seems to occur with navigation frequencies.

Capt. Chris Homko
GLR-IN-069

If you have the KAP 140, I can tell you just what happened to you.

When the CDI switches from GPS to ILS, the KAP 140 flips off.  And you must repress APR.

If your factory-trained G1000 IP did not show you this with emphasis in your conversion training, you should scold him.  If he claims he gave you that, and you forgot, you should scold yourself.  (It is a matter of safety not to have the autopilot kick off at such a critical time.)

Also, when loading the ILS approach in with PROC, the ILS frequency automatically is loaded into the active NAV frequency.  Unlike the GNS 430 and 530 where it needs to be "flipped to the active position."

Please say hello and give my best regards to Mark Reeves, Steve Rider, and Doug Jenkins.

Doug Glantz
PAWG

rgr84

From your post it sounds like you did not use the automation to the fullest by letting the system load and activate the approach. 

When you manually loaded the frequency, were you using the MFD Nav display knobs? 

Capt. Chris Homko

Thanks all for the suggestions. Yes the aircraft has the KAP140 autopilot, a big pitfall if you ask me. I was taught and quite aware of the need to press APR to activate the approach, only thing was I had the wrong nav frequency tuned in nav 1. The frequency I needed to use was not active, rather it was in in the standby position. My mind "saw" this but did not process that fact. The "picture" in my mind at the moment looked "right". I can only think of one reason I missed this. Old habits die hard, and if you notice the nav frequencies are displayed "backwards" on the G1000 compared to traditional digital nav/coms. What I mean by this is that the active frequency is to the right of the standyby frequency. Backwards compared to all legacy digital radios I have ever used.

What I am investigating is if the G1000 display of frequencies has confused anyone else. If so, it may be a human factors design issue on Garmins part that presents what is called a "latent error" in risk management terms.