New AF Female Hair Standards

Started by jb3, January 25, 2021, 04:16:11 AM

jb3

Attached are the updated AF female hair standards. Expect NHQ to publish an ICL following official AF guidance in the near future.AF Female Hair Standards Updated (21 Jan 21).pdf

PHall

Just remember, these are the AIR FORCE and SPACE FORCE standards, not Civil Air Patrol's.
The CAP Uniform Regulation has not changed yet.

TheSkyHornet

Who from NHQ has conveyed that we will be seeing an ICL to R39-1 soon?

I've seen this very topic stirring up on Facebook, and it really showcased members' lack of understanding/adherence to CAP's uniform regulations and the distinct separation from the Air Force.

Stonewall

Quote from: PHall on January 25, 2021, 05:10:45 AMJust remember, these are the AIR FORCE and SPACE FORCE standards, not Civil Air Patrol's.
The CAP Uniform Regulation has not changed yet.

Hasn't changed in the AF yet, either. Not until the new AFI is published. Which should be sometime next month.

Yes, I've seen Airmen already changing their hair to the new standard because they didn't read the fine print.
Serving since 1987.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Stonewall on January 25, 2021, 03:45:25 PMYes, I've seen Airmen already changing their hair to the new standard because they didn't read the fine print.

I'm already seeing CAP parents excited to tell their cadets that they can start wearing their braids down.

Why is it that exciting military news always seems to stir within the CAP circuit as if it impacts us?

Stonewall

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on January 25, 2021, 04:11:18 PM
Quote from: Stonewall on January 25, 2021, 03:45:25 PMYes, I've seen Airmen already changing their hair to the new standard because they didn't read the fine print.

I'm already seeing CAP parents excited to tell their cadets that they can start wearing their braids down.

Why is it that exciting military news always seems to stir within the CAP circuit as if it impacts us?

Generally, I would expect CAP to follow suit with new grooming standards. It's much easier and practical to adjust these type of standards than changing uniforms. So who knows if or when, but I would imagine CAP will adjust too.
Serving since 1987.

Spam

At our last Encampment, we backed up the Commandants usual and normal direction to take several cadets to the base barber early in the week. In one case, we anticipated but were pleasantly surprised that we didn't catch flak about requiring one cadet in particular to cut his 'locks off. Thankfully, his parents were very sensible regarding standards, and we only had to do a follow up with his home unit to reinforce uniform standards, even if they felt like not doing so.

During the discussion, the topic of braids, locks and dreads, the pending DoD changes, and even discussions about ethnic-specific waivers for shaving circulated. The upshot is as presented here: we do not have local authority (at the unit, at the activity/encampment, at Wing or even Region) to do these waivers. If you feel that your situation warrants an exception, you submit it IAW the regs to go to NHQ for action.

In emotionally charged times, and with a fluid DoD situation, we have to refrain from creating conflict here based on personal local opinions one way or another, and need to follow the process as it follows the change in DoD and in society. When things change - we'll guard that standard too, and protect the rights of members therein (e.g. "No, you do NOT absolutely have to have a high and tight" and "No, you do not have to burn it with relaxer").

If you would have told me as a cadet that I'd one day be reading up on female military hairstyles to better serve my troops, I would have had to pick my jaw up off the floor. And probably said "cool"!  See some very interesting discussion and pictures on:  https://www.vogue.com/projects/13535484/army-ban-on-dreadlocks-black-servicewomen-military-natural-hair-portraits-twists-braids-afros

May I suggest that reading up, arming oneself with an appreciation of the issues, and being prepared to have a respectful and understanding - but firm - discussion with your members and parents would be a Good Idea here, and might head off some hurt feelings and conflict.

V/r
Spam

Spam

... and you're thinking, "Vogue", Spam? Are you kidding me"?

Yeah, I know, I felt the same way. Just read it and have an open mind.

Cheers
Spam

Eclipse

Quote from: Spam on January 25, 2021, 05:55:29 PMDuring the discussion, the topic of braids, locks and dreads, the pending DoD changes, and even discussions about ethnic-specific waivers for shaving circulated. The upshot is as presented here: we do not have local authority (at the unit, at the activity/encampment, at Wing or even Region) to do these waivers. If you feel that your situation warrants an exception, you submit it IAW the regs to go to NHQ for action.

It's much easier to complain or look the other way, then take the steps to make things right for
all parties.

CAP brings this upon themselves by lax enforcement across the board, which then opens the door
for complaints of discrimination or favoritism, etc.

It's hard to take an adult who is load-testing the buttons on his ABUs seriously when he
tells a cadet to get a haircut.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spam

Quote from: Eclipse on January 25, 2021, 06:45:11 PM
Quote from: Spam on January 25, 2021, 05:55:29 PMDuring the discussion, the topic of braids, locks and dreads, the pending DoD changes, and even discussions about ethnic-specific waivers for shaving circulated. The upshot is as presented here: we do not have local authority (at the unit, at the activity/encampment, at Wing or even Region) to do these waivers. If you feel that your situation warrants an exception, you submit it IAW the regs to go to NHQ for action.

It's much easier to complain or look the other way, then take the steps to make things right for
all parties.

CAP brings this upon themselves by lax enforcement across the board, which then opens the door
for complaints of discrimination or favoritism, etc.

It's hard to take an adult who is load-testing the buttons on his ABUs seriously when he
tells a cadet to get a haircut.

... which I why I hung up my USAF style uniforms years ago after I had an accident and started gaining, because I didn't want to look like a drogue parachute wrapped around a beer barrel. I screw up a lot, but this was an area where I tried to catch myself. I even weighed myself in front of my commanders one morning (ugh) and showed them how to look it up on the tables.

Uniforms, grooming and such are not the point of CAP. They are enabling tools. I maintain that they are a leading indicator of mind set and of individual and unit effectiveness (for example, if I go visit one of my Squadrons and see one sloppy Airman, I see a point problem... I see a bunch of them, I see a leadership issue and then start looking closer at other systematic things like airmanship, finance, safety, etc.). A local leader who won't correct a simple thing like a haircut is an action item for me to retrain/monitor/possibly replace him/her.

But that is probably just my experience.
- Spam

etodd

Quote from: Spam on January 25, 2021, 07:35:23 PMA local leader who won't correct a simple thing like a haircut is an action item for me to retrain/monitor/possibly replace him/her.

A year from now, when we are to the point we have trouble keeping the airplanes flown enough, and trouble having enough Seniors to look over the youth ..... I imagine haircuts and that day old beard will be overlooked a lot. We will need warm bodies.

You'll counter with quality over quantity .... but at some point, we'll be begging for numbers. Almost there now in many Wings.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: etodd on January 25, 2021, 08:31:38 PMA year from now, when we are to the point we have trouble keeping the airplanes flown enough, and trouble having enough Seniors to look over the youth ..... I imagine haircuts and that day old beard will be overlooked a lot. We will need warm bodies.

You'll counter with quality over quantity .... but at some point, we'll be begging for numbers. Almost there now in many Wings.

If someone shows up with a day old beard while wearing ABUs or Blues, then that person needs to be addressed/corrected.

Let's not slack off just because we don't want to be pushy. It'll be much harder to change the culture back later and enforce old standards when we spent a year relaxing them.

I had a conversation with my cadet staff just last week about this, and a couple of weeks prior: Now is not the time to get relaxed about your appearance or dropping courtesies. As we resume "regular" meetings, we need to be on our best game to set that example for the newer (and junior) faces.

We have had nearly a dozen inquiries about joining CAP "during COVID." When they come and visit, whether in person or on a call, we need to look and act sharp. I'm not saying go out of your way to have the most crisp uniform and a brand-new pair of boots. But at least adhere to the minimum standard and hold the rest of the corps to it.

Look, if they say you can wear braids down or a ponytail, then that becomes the standard. But until then, ladies, put your hair in a bun or keep it off your shoulders. Gentlemen, ditch the "just woke up" and "newly hatched chickling" look. I don't care if it's cute; you're out of compliance. And if it continues, it's going to negatively impact your "cadet career" here. The exact same goes for seniors.

Eclipse

Quote from: etodd on January 25, 2021, 08:31:38 PMA year from now, when we are to the point we have trouble keeping the airplanes flown enough, and trouble having enough Seniors to look over the youth ..... I imagine haircuts and that day old beard will be overlooked a lot. We will need warm bodies.

If anything, it will be important to stress standards and compliance more then in the past.
CAP will have had nearly two years of complacency, waivers, and thousands of cadets
who have never been held to a standard, because they have never attended an in-face meeting.

That would not be the time to start "overlooking things", and to suggest otherwise indicates
a misunderstanding of the hows and whys of the cadet program.

Further to the comment about hours - when any semblance of normalcy returns, flight hours are not
going to be an issue for anyone.  There's nearly two years of unspent budgets, unexecuted
programs, and throttled enthusiasm.

That is the time to emphasize policies, regulations, and compliance, because the "get it restarted itis"
coupled with inexperienced members is going to bring with it a potential wave of mishaps.

You start with appearance.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: etodd on January 25, 2021, 08:31:38 PM
Quote from: Spam on January 25, 2021, 07:35:23 PMA local leader who won't correct a simple thing like a haircut is an action item for me to retrain/monitor/possibly replace him/her.

A year from now, when we are to the point we have trouble keeping the airplanes flown enough, and trouble having enough Seniors to look over the youth ..... I imagine haircuts and that day old beard will be overlooked a lot. We will need warm bodies.

If a Unit Commander can't be trusted to enforce the little, easy to follow rules like uniform wear, then why should we expect them to make the hard decisions like who can be trusted to fly the airplanes safely.

Jester

Quote from: etodd on January 25, 2021, 08:31:38 PM

No, dude.  Just no.

Fubar

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on January 25, 2021, 04:11:18 PMWhy is it that exciting military news always seems to stir within the CAP circuit as if it impacts us?

The percentage of people, many in leadership positions who have used the words, "we're part of the Air Force" is likely a contributing factor.

Shuman 14

Call me crazy here, but I don't think that looks professional in a uniform.

I'd also be concerned about safety where that loose hair could get caught in machinery or power tools.

Also, as the USAF and USSF are Armed Services, in a hand-to-hand combat or defensive tactics situation, that's just one more thing for a bad guy to grab a hold of and YANK... HARD. Just saying.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

etodd

Quote from: shuman14 on June 15, 2021, 10:21:40 PMCall me crazy here, but I don't think that looks professional in a uniform.

I'd also be concerned about safety where that loose hair could get caught in machinery or power tools.

Also, as the USAF and USSF are Armed Services, in a hand-to-hand combat or defensive tactics situation, that's just one more thing for a bad guy to grab a hold of and YANK... HARD. Just saying.

Just because one 'can' wear that style doesn't mean everyone will. Especially during combat. LOL
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

PHall

Quote from: shuman14 on June 15, 2021, 10:21:40 PMCall me crazy here, but I don't think that looks professional in a uniform.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!  You said Air Force and hand to hand combat in the same sentence.

Dude, you really need to regain some semblance of reality.