Main Menu

NHQ Renovations

Started by Hoorah, April 22, 2009, 04:42:35 PM

Hoorah

Has any one heard or seen or know exactly what there doing  with renovations to NHQ. I was wondering.
Please enlighten this story. I know its being worked on any body know whats it supposed to look like etc.

jimmydeanno

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

AlphaSigOU

About every 15-20 years or so many buildings on an AF base undergo a major renovation to update them to the latest construction standards. Considering HQ CAP/USAF and NHQ CAP are in an historical building (it was once the base hospital), considerable effort must be maintained to keep the building preserved, yet modern enough to comply with current building codes. Last time NHQ CAP was renovated was in the mid-1990s, if I remember correctly.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Smithsonia

We've figured out that our current NHQ is indeed a VERY historic building. Our current (and undergoing renovation) NHQ building was constructed during the Maj. Gen. John F. Curry Administration ('32-'36) of Maxwell. When the General... then a Colonel, came to Maxwell there was only a dispensary and small medical facility. It was in a small building between the hangars on the Northeast side of the field.

The hospital and medical facility was part of the Curry upgrades to Maxwell. Of course, Gen. Curry would not become our first National CC until 1941... and CAP wouldn't take over the old hospital as it command headquarters until the '70s. The actual first building was small as of '37. It was about the center 2/3rds of the current building minus the wings at the end of the this building in it's current form. The additions (the Wings) of this building were likely added (or added on to) in the early '40s - during WW2.

SEE HERE for a full discussion of this topic: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=5582.0

History is always interesting and sometimes it has so many coincidences as to be flabbergasting.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

DC

14 month bump.

Does anyone know the current status of the renovations? It seems like they have been at it for quite some time now...

FW

Last I heard, the renovations should be finished very soon (within the next 30 days).  There should be a re-dedication ceremony notice coming out in the next couple of weeks.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: FW on June 23, 2010, 03:38:13 PM
Last I heard, the renovations should be finished very soon (within the next 30 days).  There should be a re-dedication ceremony notice coming out in the next couple of weeks.

Same here.  NHQ employees are planning on moving in within the next month.  The building looks great.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill