Can Males Wear Earrings??

Started by MBDVIII, August 18, 2018, 03:29:03 AM

MBDVIII

According to CAPR 39-1,
3.3.5. Body Piercing/Ornamentation.
3.3.5.1. Body Piercing/Ornamentation. With the exception of earrings for women (see
paragraph 6.3) all members are prohibited from attaching, affixing, or displaying objects, articles, jewelry
or ornamentation to or through the ear, nose, tongue, tooth/teeth, eye brows, lips, or any exposed body
part (includes visible through the uniform or clothing). The prohibition applies while wearing the
Corporate-style uniform and while in civilian attire in attendance at a CAP event, while in civilian attire
on CAP duty, and while in civilian attire on a military installation when there with CAP activities.

However, I am wondering if some of this is at the commanders discretion. For example, our squadron once had a Male Cadet that got earrings. The commander was troubled about weither they should kick them out or let it slide.

We now have a new homosexual cadet that is asking if it is ok for them to get earrings, and if it would effect their membership status.
I am just looking for a little guidance on what to do about this situation.

Thanks,
MBDVIII

Jester

None of this is at the commander's discretion. If they value an earring more than the organization so much so that they won't take it out for the minimal amount of time that CAP requires, then they don't need to be a member.

PHall

Males can not wear earrings in any kind of CAP uniform. Period. This is NOT something any Commander can waive.
Sexual orientation is not a factor regarding membership.

audiododd

What Jester said. 

The first chapter of 39-1 (1.1.2.1 for those playing the home game) says "...Variation from this publication is not authorized.  Items not listed in the publication are not authorized for wear with uniforms. Local commanders do not have the authority to waive grooming and appearance standards."  Earrings are listed under grooming & appearance so local commander has no discretion in that area. 

The homosexuality should not affect their membership status, but wearing of earrings by a male SHOULD (i.e. willful violation of CAP regulations/Failure to obey rules, regulations, and orders.).  Like others have said, just take them out while participating in CAP activities and be done with it.

Dodd Martin, MSgt, CAP
MSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Squadron NCO
Safety/Comm/Admin/Personnel/IT
TMP - MO - MS - MRO - MSO

Eclipse

Quote from: MBDVIII on August 18, 2018, 03:29:03 AM
We now have a new homosexual cadet that is asking if it is ok for them to get earrings,

FTFY - If anyone in 2018 believes ear jewelry is an indication of orientation 1986 is calling you.

More importantly though, there is absolutely zero reason for you to even be aware of the member's
orientation, especially a cadet, and it is not relevent in any CAP context, let alone the uniform.

"That Others May Zoom"

MBDVIII

Thank you for this information. I appreciate it.   :)

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on August 18, 2018, 02:26:27 PM
Quote from: MBDVIII on August 18, 2018, 03:29:03 AM
We now have a new homosexual cadet that is asking if it is ok for them to get earrings,

FTFY - If anyone in 2018 believes ear jewelry is an indication of orientation 1986 is calling you.

More importantly though, there is absolutely zero reason for you to even be aware of the member's
orientation, especially a cadet, and it is not relevent in any CAP context, let alone the uniform.

Glad to know someone else was thinking the same thing. I have an issue those that introduce themselves by including their sexuality in some manner. As insensitive as it sounds, it's none of my business. I don't care about sexuality, I care about what what you can do.

I was in my latest Army unit for almost three years before I learned a fellow unit member was a lesbian. Didn't care about it, but gained a lot of respect for her for the simple fact that she didn't trumpet it. Only learned of it because of Facebook. She's never said anything in my presence ever alluding to her sexuality.

That being said, I hope we don't see someone trying to push for some type of special accommodation over their sexuality in CAP.  It doesn't provide any benefit for anyone.

MBDVIII

I agree.

I do have one more question for the group, what if the person wants to get earrings. There is a period of time that they would have to keep the earrings in so that it doesn't heal over or get infected. What would the cadet do in that instance?

Thanks,
MBDVIII

Eclipse

Quote from: MBDVIII on August 18, 2018, 09:26:08 PM
I agree.

I do have one more question for the group, what if the person wants to get earrings. There is a period of time that they would have to keep the earrings in so that it doesn't heal over or get infected. What would the cadet do in that instance?

Make a choice between CAP participation and the earrings.

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

I think this has been covered.

Take the rings off if in uniform, or not wear the uniform with the rings.

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on August 18, 2018, 09:29:45 PM
I think this has been covered.

Take the rings off if in uniform, or not wear the uniform with the rings.

It's not just in uniform, the reg is clear that any CAP activities prohibit earrings on males, so
even PT nights or other non-uniform days would be verboten.

"That Others May Zoom"

darkmatter

Isint cap suppose to be gender neutral/all inclusive meaning if a male wears them for the same reason a girl would and meets the same standards (minus gender specific organs) cap should make all efforts to not interfere?

Eclipse

Quote from: darkmatter on August 18, 2018, 10:12:46 PM
Isint cap suppose to be gender neutral/all inclusive meaning if a male wears them for the same reason a girl would and meets the same standards (minus gender specific organs) cap should make all efforts to not interfere?

Interfere?

CAP's uniform wear polices and regulations are not "gender neutral", nor is cadet PT, and a few policies in regard to
overnight activities.

It is decidedly gender neutral and inclusive in regards to access to opportunities.

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

I have only seen that rule regarding uniforms. Have not seen any other rule about non-participation at other events.

If there is any such rule, comments made by Dark enter into play and make CAP's stand against earrings harder to defend than if it is only while in uniform.

From 39-1 3.2.7. Body Piercing/Ornamentation. With the exception of earrings for women (see paragraphs 6.3.1.1), all members are prohibited from attaching, affixing, or displaying objects, articles, jewelry or ornamentation to or through the ear, nose, tongue, eye brows, lips, or any exposed body part visible while in uniform.

Therefore, out of uniform one can do as one pleases.

Edited to add: I stand corrected. CAPM 39-1 Sect. 3.3.5 prohibits males from wearing earrings even out of uniform, be it USAF or Corporate. That is, not even in civies at any CAP function.

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

That rule is literally quoted in the OP.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Short answer - NO.
Q asked; Q answered.
Click.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret