Former military Officers above Lt COL

Started by flyguy06, May 12, 2006, 11:27:11 PM

SarDragon

Then what about retired Flags from the other services?

As for being advisors - at what level? Most retired military folks I know want to settle down a bit and pass up the opportunities for frequent flyers miles. These days, I travel because I want to, not because I need to, including CAP.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Earhart1971

Quote from: SarDragon on May 17, 2006, 06:41:24 AM

As for being advisors - at what level? Most retired military folks I know want to settle down a bit and pass up the opportunities for frequent flyers miles. These days, I travel because I want to, not because I need to, including CAP.

Its a volunteer basis, I would ask a General, just like any new Senior, what would you like to do?

My suggestion is welcome anybody, that is former Service, they get their Highest Rank, attend Level 1 and the upper courses.

Get to participate and be advisors, and the added advantage, hey we need this, who do you know (in whatever regular Service) that can help us?

They will feel flattered and useful.

I invited, a Lt General (retired) to speak at a Group Banquet, he loved it, and we probably could have recruited him.

I'm sure there are some Generals out there and other lower ranks that would enjoy CAP.

shorning

Quote from: Earhart1971 on May 17, 2006, 08:46:44 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on May 17, 2006, 06:41:24 AM

Its a volunteer basis, I would ask a General, just like any new Senior, what would you like to do?

My suggestion is welcome anybody, that is former Service, they get their Highest Rank, attend Level 1 and the upper courses.

Get to participate and be advisors, and the added advantage, hey we need this, who do you know (in whatever regular Service) that can help us?

They will feel flattered and useful.

I invited, a Lt General (retired) to speak at a Group Banquet, he loved it, and we probably could have recruited him.

I'm sure there are some Generals out there and other lower ranks that would enjoy CAP.

So we'll basically use them for their connections and experience.  What do they get in return?  A warm fuzzy...

Where do I sign up... ::)

Earhart1971

BlackKnight

Quote from: capchiro on May 13, 2006, 12:50:13 PM
... As far as the two star general, I do believe he worked with cadets on a gliding encampment as a glider pilot and did not wear a uniform and thus, according to some, was in violation of CAPM 39-1  or 52-16, or at least some manual or reg.  That said, he was a key element of the glider encampment and the cadets loved him and the experience.  Sometimes we get too involved with the trees to see the forest. ...

I really don't want to lead the thread off topic again but this is too important not to close the loop.  It's a very common misconception that the casual "shorts and T-shirts" often seen at CAP soaring operations is a uniform violation or exception.  It isn't.  Here's the reg:

CAPR 60-1, Section 5-7. CAP Member Soaring Uniform. Soaring activity, to include the tow pilot, demands that comfortable, loose-fitting, nonrestrictive clothing be worn. A T-shirt, such as a CAP designed wing T-shirt with a pair of shorts/long pants and tennis shoes is sufficient. However, the final decision, as to uniform, rests with the region/wing commander. Due to space restrictions in most glider rudder pedal areas, the wearing of boots, including military style boots, is prohibited.

So in the case mentioned the 2-star glider CFI was in approved CAP uniform. 
Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/