DRAFT Learn to Lead Activity Guide

Started by NC Hokie, February 12, 2009, 09:03:43 PM

NC Hokie

Has anyone else seen the draft copy of the upcoming Learn to Lead Activity Guide?  It's available here:
http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/cadet_programs/index.cfm/learn_to_lead_activity_guide_6

There appears to be some good stuff in there but I'd really like to see suggested answers to the questions posed in the team leadership problems.  If I have a hard time figuring out answers to some of them* how can I judge the cadet's responses?

* Here's an example from page 5:  What leadership concepts are learned by making a five-pointed star from a roll of toilet paper without tearing the paper?
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

DC

I was rather unimpressed with the TLPs in there, and the fact that the same four discussion questions appeared at the end of all 24 of them... They are very simple, and pretty much all of them are geared to the 12 - 13 age group (or younger, really, IMO). I don't see a 15 or 16 year old cadet seeing the purpose in folding toilet paper or trying to match shoes to their fellow cadets. I have seen a lot of activities that are quite challenging, some both metally and physically, and also interesting that could impart the same lessons without putting the older cadets to sleep. It's a different battle for a different day, but I really have an issue with CAP catering to the younger cadets while practically ignoring the older ones, save for a few activities. I think many of the younger cadets could rise to a higher level if we give them the chance.

Also, way too much was put into the film guides. They're great, but most squadrons can't fit a movie into a typical meeting, but they can two several of the practical activities, shouldn't most of the effort been focused in that direction?

Overall, I wasn't very impressed at all.  :-\