Another SAC question

Started by Nikos, April 25, 2015, 10:39:22 PM

Nikos

During a national emergency, I have heard that SACs plan was to disperse the Bombers to " other airfields".  I would take this to mean civilian airfields?  Are there civilian airfields that can handle, and provide support services to the bombers?

Al Sayre

Most large civilian airports can handle a B-52.  Several were built that could handle the B-36, San Diego and Dallas come to mind immediately.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

PHall

All the airport has to provide is a runway and a parking ramp. The Air Force provided everything else.
Most of the civilian airfields used were former military airfields that had been closed and reopened as a civilian airport.
Places like Lincoln Airport in Lincoln, NE which was Lincoln AFB at one time.

LegacyAirman

Back in the early 60's the Air Force had "Reserve Recovery Squadrons" and Groups that were supposed to receive aircraft diverted to designated civilian airfields. They would treat the wounded and repair, decontaminate, and service the aircraft for (possible?) further missions. They were disbanded on 5 June 1964 - http://www.nytimes.com/1964/06/06/air-force-disbands-131-reserve-groups.html

I have a couple of cool (to me) metal signs with the word RECOVERY superimposed in front of a mushroom cloud on a shield shape with AIR FORCE on top and RESERVE underneath. I got them off evilbay and then picked up an October 1961 Mission Demo Program. That gave some inkling as to what the program was about. The initial Groups listed were at Wyoming, Pennsylvania; Salt Lake; Louisville, Kentucky; New Orleans; Columbia, S. C.; and Worcester, Mass. I had found a website with a more complete history of the program, but tonight I could only find the NY Times article.

RRLE

Take a look at the history page of Stewart (NY) Airport.

Griffis International Airport (Utica, NY) is the former  Griffiss Air Force Base, which had B-52s.

There are similar airports all over the country.

Al Sayre

Griffis AFB was/is in Rome NY...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

THRAWN

Quote from: Al Sayre on May 01, 2015, 11:27:07 PM

Say it ain't so! Oh wait, there it is...in the first line of the linked page about it....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

AirAux

The ungarbled word could often be heard after the mighty klaxon blew... 

Garibaldi

Quote from: AirAux on May 02, 2015, 10:06:48 PM
The ungarbled word could often be heard after the mighty klaxon blew...

Un-Garibaldi what?

Oh. Nurr mine...
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Al Sayre

Quote from: THRAWN on May 02, 2015, 12:32:50 AM
Quote from: Al Sayre on May 01, 2015, 11:27:07 PM

Say it ain't so! Oh wait, there it is...in the first line of the linked page about it....
Couldn't open the link at work, but spent a lot of time at Griffis...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

scooter

Spent many years in SAC. Lots of alert tours :-\. Dispersal was part of the plan for both Buffs and Tanks. For Buffs the runway needed to be 300' wide to allow the training wheels to be on the runway when it was heavy. Runways also need to be loooong to allow Buffs, and especially A model tankers, to get off the ground with an EWO load. For MITOs you did not want to be last.

PHall

Quote from: scooter on May 06, 2015, 10:43:01 PM
For MITOs you did not want to be last.

BTDT and being last brings new meaning to the phrase "Rock and Roll". That and the phrase "Smoke gets in your eyes." :o

Luis R. Ramos

Being last in a MITO?

Was that akin to driving a car on a road full of potholes?   ;D
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

PHall

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on May 07, 2015, 12:07:41 PM
Being last in a MITO?

Was that akin to driving a car on a road full of potholes?   ;D

More like driving car at high speed on a bumpy road on a very foggy night! :o