History of The CAP Distinctive Grey/White Uniform -- Better Options?

Started by RADIOMAN015, June 26, 2010, 09:29:55 PM

DakRadz

PS- the girl in that uniform proposal picture thing? She's a cadet one-striper in the uniform guides they send to new members. So that's just a thought, since her face is now promoted to Captain.

Random facts of life. Attention to detail! :D

PHall

Quote from: DakRadz on July 05, 2010, 04:38:06 AM
PS- the girl in that uniform proposal picture thing? She's a cadet one-striper in the uniform guides they send to new CAPpers. So that's just a thought, since her face is now promoted to Captain.

What the bloody heck is a "CAPper"?  What's wrong with the term "new member".

DakRadz

High Speed Low Drag

PS- the girl in that uniform proposal picture thing? She's a cadet one-striper in the uniform guides they send to new members. So that's just a thought, since her face is now promoted to Captain.

Cadet -
You are correct; this image was taken from the uniform poster where she modeled the uniform of a cadet airman (which is a public domain document).  I chose to use this "model" to best illustrate the intended uniform.  It does not matter who she is "in real life," the object was to find the best picture to Photoshop.  Now you may think, in you exalted status as a Cadet CMSgt, that this is inherently wrong, but too bad. So please do not lecture me about "Attention to detail."

The whole idea of this uniform proposal is to simplify the corporate dress uniform.  If it had blue trousers, then it would fall in the same path as the CSU.  Also, the cover is a black garrison cap, which is currently being produced for the US Navy & Public Health service.  Everything is "off-the-shelf" and, as such, substantially lower the cost to CAP members.  This way, the Gray/Whites can easily have just this service coat (Flying Cross), add a black tie, and Viola! – A service coat that is CAP-Distinctive.
G. St. Pierre                             

"WIWAC, we marched 5 miles every meeting, uphill both ways!!"

DakRadz

Quote from: High Speed Low Drag on July 05, 2010, 06:01:57 AM

Cadet -
You are correct; this image was taken from the uniform poster where she modeled the uniform of a cadet airman (which is a public domain document).  I chose to use this "model" to best illustrate the intended uniform.  It does not matter who she is "in real life," the object was to find the best picture to Photoshop.  Now you may think, in you exalted status as a Cadet CMSgt, that this is inherently wrong, but too bad. So please do not lecture me about "Attention to detail."
[/snip]

Excuse me, sir, but I was merely pointing that out- as in my attention to detail led me to share a funfact with everyone.
If you'll view my signature, which should not take too awful much time, you will see I have been twice a cadet officer (both JROTC programs made me prove myself), I am about to accomplish this yet again, and I was GAWG Honor Cadet at Encampment 2010. I have quite a bit of common sense and tact, I believe, and my instructors agree (though they keep me improving all the time)

Now, I had a slight speedbump my first day or two on CAPTalk, but since then I haven't attacked anyone. I apologized for the one screwup.

I know better to attack a senior member, especially for such a trivial matter. Had you asked, instead of accusing:
1) I would have clarified to you my true intent, as I never considered you would take that as a reprimand.
2) I would have made sure the other posters understood this as well..

Random fact of life- I thought that made it clear I was just posting out of boredom, something which occurred to me.

I don't believe it to be "inherently wrong"- I thought you did a dern fine job of photoshopping, and I wouldn't even mind wearing the uniform too much.

Exalted status as a cadet Chief? Maybe I'll get hit with that "exalted status" feeling once I've got my Eaker or Spaatz, but in CAP C/CMSgt is not all that high.

Respectfully, sir, please calm down. I'm just quite random; as stated before, I felt an urge to share my observation- my *personal* attention to detail, as I remembered her from the charts and was proud when I realized where I knew the face from.

High Speed Low Drag

With clarification, I can understand your statement.  However, please remember that you still have to be tactful with everyone on the board.  I have had several disagreements with people on this board (one of whom is now on the Board of Goevenors), but I am always tactful and present my argument with as much logic as I can muster.  (There have been a couple of times I was not as tactful as I should have been and had my hand slapped for it).

Just keep in mind that people will treat you how you treat them.  I just had to post another reminder on the Sq T-Shirt page to another cadet who (I felt) was not tactful.

Bottom line - No worries.  I am pretty easy-going and don't hold a grudge (unlike some).  I have noticed that you are a prolific poster and I am thrilled to see that in a cadet.  I wish more cadets would post (although I know sometimes it gets discouraging when you have some senior members disparge everyone who disagrees with them).  Also, I would encourage you to try posting at CadetSTUFF forums.  A lot of good info on the boards there.

MODS:  OK.  I'm done going off the beaten path.
G. St. Pierre                             

"WIWAC, we marched 5 miles every meeting, uphill both ways!!"

RVT

39-1 is really old.  She probably IS a Captain at this point.

RVT

The whole idea of this uniform proposal is to simplify the corporate dress uniform.  If it had blue trousers, then it would fall in the same path as the CSU.  Also, the cover is a black garrison cap, which is currently being produced for the US Navy & Public Health service.  Everything is "off-the-shelf" and, as such, substantially lower the cost to CAP members.  This way, the Gray/Whites can easily have just this service coat (Flying Cross), add a black tie, and Viola! – A service coat that is CAP-Distinctive.

Sounds good to me - satisfies the existing moratorium on changing any existing item too.  Really the only thing we are missing is a decent jacket for the white & grey.  From what I understand, we presently have (1)the blazer  (2)that light blue snappy CAP windbreaker and (3)for inexplicable reasons, the USAF blue cardigan.

That last one makes no sense to me.  The only piece of USAF uniform authorized to be worn over a CAP distinctive outfit - and its that thing?

DakRadz

Quote from: Dwight J. Dutton on July 05, 2010, 02:01:16 PM

39-1 is really old.  She probably IS a Captain at this point.

Ahahahaha! Wonderful point- Now THAT is attention to detail

High Speed Low Drag- I say we agree with this very statement and make it our truce, sir ;D

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on July 05, 2010, 05:13:36 AM
PS- the girl in that uniform proposal picture thing? She's a cadet one-striper in the uniform guides they send to new CAPpers. So that's just a thought, since her face is now promoted to Captain.

Seriously - we are not in "cap" (as in hat), we are in the "C-A-P".

"That Others May Zoom"

Gunner C

Quote from: Eclipse on July 05, 2010, 03:23:32 PM

Thank you.  I hate that.

I think that uniform is on the right track.  Just not quite there.  If they did some wear testing and force commenting, about five years worth, and tweeked it, then we might have something.  We need to have a 5 year moratorium on any uniform changes.  Then make the changes and have another 5 year breather.

Eclipse

Quote from: Gunner C on July 05, 2010, 10:58:23 PMWe need to have a 5 year moratorium on any uniform changes.  Then make the changes and have another 5 year breather.

Agree, but not even the active services have had that for a decade if not longer...

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

There is a very fine line between attention to detail and nit-picking.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

DakRadz

Quote from: ol'fido on July 05, 2010, 11:38:26 PM

If that's in reference to me, sir, I explained later on in the topic. Attention to detail doesn't need to be negative.

Krapenhoeffer

<evil feelings>

But... (I have to do this)... The FAA says we're CAP as in the thing on my head... And I think the FAA knows a little bit more than you!

</evil feelings>

Bwahaha  >:D
Proud founding member of the Fellowship of the Vuvuzela.
"And now we just take our Classical Mechanics equations, take the derivative, run it through the uncertainty principal, and take the anti-derivative of the resulting mess. Behold! Quantum Wave Equations! Clear as mud cadets?"
"No... You just broke math law, and who said anything about the anti-derivative? You can obtain the Schrödinger wave equations algebraically!" The funniest part was watching the cadets staring at the epic resulting math fight.

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on July 05, 2010, 03:23:32 PM

Geez, Bob, why did you need to start that? CAP v. C.A.P. is a 46+ year olde battle that has no winners. None! Zero! Nada! Zip!

Put that dog right back to sleep.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on July 06, 2010, 12:43:17 AM
Geez, Bob, why did you need to start that? CAP v. C.A.P. is a 46+ year olde battle that has no winners. None! Zero! Nada! Zip!

Put that dog right back to sleep.
As someone who goes OCD over apostrophes, you know it(')s never too late to put people on the correct path.

CAP vs. C.A.P.  fine. But "CAP'ers"?  No way.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

I was comparing the other word for hat - cap - to C.A.P, spelled out. I learned, and prefer the latter, as do you. But it seems to be one of those battles not worth fighting. When I point out the difference to some folks in my unit, they use the :wrong" term just to push my buttons, so I don't bother any more.

Hence, my request to just drop the issue. It's really no different than the Class A issue.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

The CyBorg is destroyed

The whole idea of this uniform proposal is to simplify the corporate dress uniform.  If it had blue trousers, then it would fall in the same path as the CSU.

Despite what the nervous Nellies at National seem to believe (CAP distinctive - grey, grey and grey), there is one salient fact:

The United States Air Force does not have a monopoly on blue cloth, nor on uniforms cut from blue cloth.

Shade 1620 and Shade 1550 - those are theirs, and if someone tries to make a uniform out of that, as was done with the CSU, they have every right to raise unholy Hades.

But if we do not use those, there is no reason we cannot have a CAP-distinctive uniform that is blue.  I have already mentioned airline pilot uniforms that are listed as "dark navy."  Civilian designed, civilian made, for civilians.

If we would go lighter in shade, there is no way that the AF could (credibly) say that confusion would result.

Something like RAF blue-grey, or even similar to the US Postal Service, would have blue in it, and would not clash with the extant grey shoulder boards.

This looks closer to our grey than any sort of blue worn by the USAF:

http://www.raf.mod.uk/organisation/caswo.cfm

Or even going darker, like the RAAF has done (midnight blue, looks almost black):

http://www.raaf.gov.au/Leaders/caf.aspx

Of course, I'm not blind to the possibility that the AF can invoke the very vague "low-light/at a distance" simply because they don't like something.

My point is, we should not limit ourselves to the extant grey when we do have a wide range to choose from for proposals:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_force_blue (bottom of page)
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

ol'fido

Quote from: DakRadz on July 05, 2010, 11:48:23 PM
Quote from: ol'fido on July 05, 2010, 11:38:26 PM

If that's in reference to me, sir, I explained later on in the topic. Attention to detail doesn't need to be negative.
No, I was not referring to you in particular. However, there are a lot of posts on this forum where a reference is made to "attention to detail" that in my opinion cross over that line into nit-picking. I saw where you had mentioned that you were speaking in jest. It's just that you provided me with the opportunity to drop that line in there. I hope that you will continue to pay attention to detail, but remember  that sometimes.."perfect is the enemy of good enough". ;)
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006