Roadmap to Becoming National Commander

Started by Archer, March 13, 2014, 07:03:23 AM

Archer

I'd like to see what you guys and gals would say if someone asked you for a practical and technical roadmap starting from SMWOG to becoming CAP/CC.

JeffDG

JoeTomasone

Seems fairly straightforward:

Do an exemplary job as:

Squadron Commander
Group Commander (if applicable)
Wing Commander
Region Commander

..Insert the appropriate level of networking (yes, the politically correct term) and high-visibility success.

Pin on Maj Gen and try not to introduce controversial uniforms (had to make it a uniform thread...  >:D >:D >:D

lordmonar

Join
Complete Level I
Pick Specialty Track and complete Tech Level
Pick ES preferably on the flying side
Complete Level II
Continue moving up the ES chain....AOBD
Complete Level III
Continue moving up the ES chain PSC/OSC
Hold major staff position (Operations or above) at squadorn level.
Complete Level IV
Hold major staff position at wing level
Complete Level V
Hold Deputy Command or Vice Command position at Wing or major staff position at regional or national level.
Hold Wing Command position
Hold Regional Vice Command Position
Hold Regional Command position

Assume 2-3 years at each step/position.
That's 12-18 years of CAP service.

Outside of CAP individual should be retired and/or personally wealthy so that they can devote the time to working near full time for CAP.
Also JeffDG said......at some point institutionalization at a mental heath facility or a frontal lobotomy is also helpful.  :)

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

a2capt

SunDog

Find a crowd of SM's.

Throw a rock.

Note individual at point of impact.

Selection complete.

If CC is YOUR ambition, note the rock thrower's position and estimate the trajectory to impact.  Stand there.

This method, purely notional and proposed only as a one-time experiment, might save time and prove as effective as any process used in the past.  Just my opinion. I could be wrong

Eclipse

Somewhere in there you have to come to the table with, or obtain, a Bachelor's Degree.

Or not, since the entirety of the "requirements", actually aren't.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: lordmonar on March 13, 2014, 02:39:03 PM
Also JeffDG said......at some point institutionalization at a mental heath facility or a frontal lobotomy is also helpful.  :)
Before Wing Command...gotta be a little nuts to take that job or above.

tonyairplane

I read the reg about a week ago, I am pretty sure that you have to be vice national commander first; if not, then there is more to the process to become MG.

Panache

Quote from: tonyairplane on March 13, 2014, 05:55:48 PM
I read the reg about a week ago, I am pretty sure that you have to be vice national commander first; if not, then there is more to the process to become MG.

"Candidates for the position must be a CAP member in good standing, hold  a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university and have completed Level V of the CAP Professional Development Program,  served as a CAP wing commander and successfully completed his/her term of office. "

SOURCE

Eclipse

Quote from: Panache on March 13, 2014, 06:00:46 PM
Quote from: tonyairplane on March 13, 2014, 05:55:48 PM

"Candidates for the position must be a CAP member in good standing, hold  a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university and have completed Level V of the CAP Professional Development Program,  served as a CAP wing commander and successfully completed his/her term of office. "

SOURCE

But don't forget these:
http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/CAP_Constitution_Bylaws_4BC09E935985F.pdf

(b) The Board of Governors Personnel Committee may develop additional desired qualifications
as required to determine the best qualified candidate.

(c) The Board of Governors may waive any qualifications as needed should the candidate
demonstrate comparable skills and experience.

Which makes the "requirements" "not required".

"That Others May Zoom"

Panache

Quote from: Eclipse on March 13, 2014, 06:07:55 PM
Which makes the "requirements" "not required".

"Well-meaning suggestions."

tonyairplane

CAPR 35-5 1 January 2014, Section 1-5, paragraph b.

"If an individual is selected for the position of National Commander and has not previously served as National Vice Commander in the grade of brigadier general, he or she will be promoted to the temporary grade of brigadier general for 1 year. At the end of this 1-year period, promotion to the temporary grade of major general will be automatic."

Panache

Quote from: tonyairplane on March 13, 2014, 06:12:26 PM
CAPR 35-5 1 January 2014, Section 1-5, paragraph b.

"If an individual is selected for the position of National Commander and has not previously served as National Vice Commander in the grade of brigadier general, he or she will be promoted to the temporary grade of brigadier general for 1 year. At the end of this 1-year period, promotion to the temporary grade of major general will be automatic."

Which means you can be National Commander without being Vice-Commander first.  All this reg says is that if you weren't Vice-Commander before becoming National CC, you won't be promoted straight to Major General (2 star) without a year "wait" at Brigadier General (1 star) first.

tonyairplane

Yes, i know what it says, it is fairly clear.  I was replying to JoeTomasone above who skipped that step and said you could pin on MG rank, which you cannot.

Panache

(goes back 8 messages)

Ooooooooh.  Okay.

Private Investigator

Outside of CAP individual should be retired and/or personally wealthy so that they can devote the time to working near full time for CAP.

I think that is the most important thing.   8)

a2capt

Quote from: Panache on March 13, 2014, 06:10:18 PM"Well-meaning suggestions."
..or as one now gone GOBN IC used to say, "Those regulations are merely guidelines".

Cindi

institutionalization at a mental heath facility or a frontal lobotomy is also helpful.  :)

I am looking forward to being your next National Commander. Luckily I did not make the mistake that Fred did by posting with my real name. Semper Vigilans!

Spaceman3750

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Cindi on March 14, 2014, 02:54:33 AM
I am looking forward to being your next National Commander. Luckily I did not make the mistake that Fred did by posting with my real name. Semper Vigilans!

Wrong flag... :)

Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

FW

Quote from: Cindi on March 14, 2014, 02:54:33 AM
institutionalization at a mental heath facility or a frontal lobotomy is also helpful.  :)

Good Luck! Lol. BTW; the cranial incision gets itchy every so often.  >:D

NIN

Quote from: FW on March 14, 2014, 01:02:45 PM
Good Luck! Lol. BTW; the cranial incision gets itchy every so often.  >:D

Rumor is that the reason they hold the Charm School at NHQ is that 105 S. Hansell used to be the base hospital and they kept an operating theater commissioned for the lobotomies. :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Private Investigator

Not often but I do get saluted in my personal staff car because this is displayed.