May NEC meeting webstream

Started by RiverAux, May 02, 2009, 12:42:09 PM

RiverAux

Seems like thats what they talked about doing for the NEC in 2010. 

RADIOMAN015

Buying a new software System to track members -- On one hand they are complaining about not having enough money than they recommend approving a $300K software system.  In this economy, this is a avoidable cost, what is it going to do that the current system doesn't?
RM

RiverAux

Looks like they're going to start having the paid CAP members at the Wings (Wing Financial Analysts) doing logistical and supply inventory audits, inspections, etc.  Guess its been in sort of a testing phase for a year and want it put in the regulations.

More direct corporate control of Wing activities.  ES next? 

Are they finding out that they just don't have enough to do to justify the positions?

On lunch break until 1330L

RADIOMAN015

Wing Financial Analysts to do Logistics Audits -- I guess they will randomly pick units within the wings and than go visit.  Question came up on pre notifications versus no notification.

Hmm, the last time we had an audit that looked at everything including comm inventories, was an NCO from the CAP-USAF region headquarters that was preannounced.

I wonder how they are going to get around not paying the wing financial analysts overtime pay for doing these logistics audits? (most units meet at nights or weekends not during the normal work day).  Looks to me like again this is going to be more cost to CAP and ultimately the taxpayers in an economy which requires everyone to look at ways to save money.

Perhaps the various Region & Wing IG "volunteer" staff's could perform some of these type of "internal control audits/inspections?

RM   

Short Field

Quote from: RiverAux on May 02, 2009, 12:42:09 PM
Item 3:  A REQUIRED monthly ONLINE safety briefing and quiz that everyone will have to complete.   

Beatings will continue until morale improves. 

If you want a safety culture, then you penalize unsafe actions.  What I have seen is one guy screws up due to pure inattention to detail and everyone is grounded until we all get a 1/2 day safety briefing.   I believe in making safety a part of everything we do - but repeditive briefings start to become just noise in the background. 
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

MIKE

What happens when you don't do it... they gonna kick you out?  Plus, it is pretty meaningless to those of us who are members but don't participate... and I think there are more of us than the NEC etc realizes.
Mike Johnston

RiverAux

The penalty is that you can't do anything in CAP until you comply with the safety requirement.  The NHQ support guy did bring up that there were folks that just write a check. 

While that discussion was going on Col. Jensen (SWR) brought up the fact that this issue speaks to the larger problem of defining "active" CAP members.  Didn't offer any solutions.

SarDragon

Item 4 - National Boards in Sandy Eggo in 2010!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: MIKE on May 02, 2009, 06:49:28 PM
What happens when you don't do it... they gonna kick you out?  Plus, it is pretty meaningless to those of us who are members but don't participate... and I think there are more of us than the NEC etc realizes.

They were beating that point to death during the meeting - it appears they've established a committee to study that to get it ready for submission for the NB in San Antonio.

Personally, unless you are active in ES and/or in an aircrew a quarterly safety briefing is fine with me for the general membership. If you fall in the former category then I can justify monthly safety briefings.

Patrons and those who do not participate (WG-000 refugees) should not have to go through the briefings unless they choose to do so.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

RiverAux

Apparently the IGs have developed their own uniform to wear during Compliance Inspection.  Supposedly they didn't stand out enough.  khaki pants, blue shirts.  Paid for by grant from Exxon.  Why in the world are we asking for grants for stuff like this instead of more useful items?  Where is this authorized?

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: RiverAux on May 02, 2009, 07:52:06 PM
Apparently the IGs have developed their own uniform to wear during Compliance Inspection.  Supposedly they didn't stand out enough.  khaki pants, blue shirts.  Paid for by grant from Exxon.  Why in the world are we asking for grants for stuff like this instead of more useful items?  Where is this authorized?
Actually the uniform is "high tech" it includes knee pads  ::) for crawling around.  They did mention about dirt/dirty, well those khaki pants sure as heck will get dirty quick ???  Frankly they could just use the Blue BDU pants and that would work fine.  yes I was taken aback a bit on the grant money for this :'(
RM 

RiverAux

Whole lot of discussion of assesments against CAP members for damages to equipment.  The fact that the NEC has so many questions about this process doesn't bode well for this policy being carried out fairly which I've been worried about since they started it. 

Spike

Now members are responsible for laptops when they "crash".  So if you signed for it, you get to buy a new one when it breaks?

I am confused!

JoeTomasone

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on May 02, 2009, 07:00:34 PM
unless you are active in ES and/or in an aircrew

Define "active".

Qualified, but never called?

Called once in a while?

Called all the time?

That's a pretty subjective standard to throw a requirement on.

I'd be willing to do quarterly briefings - but only just.   A monthly online quiz that I have to do every month or I can just stay home?   No thanks.   I'm all for safety, but that's excessive.     And what if you fail?  Can you retest?  What happens if you don't retest (or don't pass) before next month?  Do you try again with the new month's material, or do you have now 2 months to pass?   

<head><desk>

BrandonKea

A "You break it, you bought it" policy seems a little ridiculous unless some gross negligence caused the damage.
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

RiverAux

CAP Chaplain Chief to be member of top board of AF chaplains.  Might be renamed CAP Command Chaplain to more closely match similar AF chaplains and to distinguish between him and top AF Chaplain.  MOU between CAP and AF regarding Chaplain use being re-worked. 

Spike

CAP Chaplian Chief is now part of the USAF Chaplain Corps Council, representing Cap's Chaplain Corps Officers as a Command Element (i.e. Active Duty Chaplains, Reserve Chaplains, Guard Chaplains and now CAP Chaplains)

A Memo of understanding between CAP and AF Chaplain Corps is under review.....first drafted in 2001, should be ready soon. 

RiverAux

Legal officers working on a policy on intellectural property rights regarding CAP stuff (photos, etc.). 

National Legal College cancelled this year due to lack of interest. 

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: JoeTomasone on May 02, 2009, 08:28:20 PM
Quote from: AlphaSigOU on May 02, 2009, 07:00:34 PM
unless you are active in ES and/or in an aircrew

Define "active".

Qualified, but never called?

Called once in a while?

Called all the time?

That's a pretty subjective standard to throw a requirement on.

I'd be willing to do quarterly briefings - but only just.   A monthly online quiz that I have to do every month or I can just stay home?   No thanks.   I'm all for safety, but that's excessive.     And what if you fail?  Can you retest?  What happens if you don't retest (or don't pass) before next month?  Do you try again with the new month's material, or do you have now 2 months to pass?   

<head><desk>

Exactimundo... they haven't defined what "active" is.  My take on 'active' would be one who is current on their ES/aircrew quals (with further onus on pilots to be FAA and Form 5/91 current) and have participated in the squadron safety briefing (minimum quarterly) and current safety brief when checking in to a mission/SAREX.

They're throwing in way too much 'mandatory fun' into the mix...
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

RiverAux

Ops briefing (Skiba):
Advanced Tech Group being reconstituted - role not to find neat gadgets to figure out how to use them, but to find the tech to provide the support for the missions that we already have or are contemplating. 

ARCHER program reviewed.  Really need standardized program that is meaningful and productive. 

Appointed National Flight Review Board.  Didn't really say what it was for.

C-4s being dissolved.  Decided that NOC could really cover most of what the C4s were supposed to do.  Going to provide augmentees to NOC to support multi-wing disasters instead. 

Working on combining the CD regulation into 60-3. 

CAP Call Signs:  Working with FAA to get CAP call sign for all of the fleet.  CAP vs CAP Flight.  Said some small FBO with 2 planes "owns" one of them (I think CAP Flight) so might just be CAP. 

Working on standardized national glider program

ND testing FLIR.  Ultra80000FW system.  Getting funded by a local agency. 

Have CAP reps working monthly with each FEMA region.  Increasing CAP visibility.

Working on obtaining security clearances for some folks who need them. 

Possibly create a program to train non-pilot flight crews in emergency procedures.  Like Pinch Hitter.  Still in early stages (I've been advocating for this for years).   

Working to make Nat Check pilot school to online course.