Random animals you have met on missions

Started by Tubacap, June 03, 2008, 02:07:32 AM

mclarke

Quote from: desertengineer1 on August 01, 2010, 12:38:29 PM
About two weeks ago I was attending Combat Airman Skills Training in Camp Guernsey, Wyoming.  One of the modules is a navigation exercise.  We're dropped off in about a 15 square mile course in varying terrain and given 6 waypoints to find.  Lots of terrain.  Average trek was a couple of miles between waypoints.  About four hours of solid walking, climbing, and searching.  Souped up version of geocaching.

Local ranchers also lease the section for grazing.  A herd of cows with moms and babies were wandering around.  Unknown to us, a team had walked through the herd a few minutes before we came along, and the moms were not happy.

Never been charged by a formation of ticked off mom cows before.  Our "fire team" had to scramble in all directions while the previous team watched and laughed.

"I'm sorry, ma'am but your husband has been injured during a training accident"

"What happened?"

"He and his team were attacked by a herd of cattle."

"Why does that not surprise me?"

This reminds me of farming. I got to milking late one night, and it happened to be a full moon. Needless to say, they act crazy. I got charged by a one of them. Had to drop and roll under the fence (electric too)! Anyways, the only cow NOT acting weird was the bull, who I hand feed grain, very cautiously. He never gave me a problem (though he did the owner of the farm).

Starlock

sneakers

Just for clarity's sake... When you refer to animals, do certain people in command count?  >:D

mclarke

Quote from: pilot2b on May 23, 2011, 01:20:00 AM
Just for clarity's sake... When you refer to animals, do certain people in command count?  >:D

Not if your wanting a promotion lol

johnboy

At my basic encampment on cq i saw a cat but this was like 3:30 in the morning 8)
C/SSgt John C. Newsom
NCWG
MER-NC-048

titanII

DFing I have encountered woodchucks and rabbits and seen foxes, beavers, and traces of moose
No longer active on CAP talk

BGNightfall

Mongooses and 12 inch long centipedes.  And monk seals.  Hawaii is a bizarre place sometimes.

spacecadet97

At encampment, there was a dog that was first thought to be the medics dog, then the commondants dog, then a whole bunch of other peoples. We never found out whose it was, but it was really friendly.

It was the only time I ever saw the Command Chief and the First sergeant no yell at me. :)
C/TSgt

GTRanger

A hyena, no joke.

**edit- It was at 200 hrs. when I was on a CQ shift, it was pitch black out, and the thing looked rabid. I was almost scared. But, being the SMSgt that I am, I pretended I wasnt lol.

"These things we do, that others may live." -USAF Pararescue and Ranger Motto

Eagle

Assisted as a victim in a SAR exercise at Alabama's Wing Emergency Services School. Somebody dropped a dog off up the road, and it hung out at our training site. It literally led the searching ground team (who were practicing search techniques) straight to me, after I had been sitting out in the cold, wet leaves for the past two hours. It kept running back and forth between me and the searching ground team, barking.
C/2dLt Thomas Bracker
Pell City Composite Squadron
Alpha Flight Commander

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eagle on February 20, 2012, 01:43:41 AM
Assisted as a victim in a SAR exercise at Alabama's Wing Emergency Services School. Somebody dropped a dog off up the road, and it hung out at our training site. It literally led the searching ground team (who were practicing search techniques) straight to me, after I had been sitting out in the cold, wet leaves for the past two hours. It kept running back and forth between me and the searching ground team, barking.

What's that Lassie? Cadet Snuffy is trapped in a well? >:D

Eclipse

Quote from: GTRanger on February 20, 2012, 12:13:37 AM
A hyena, no joke.

**edit- It was at 200 hrs. when I was on a CQ shift, it was pitch black out, and the thing looked rabid. I was almost scared. But, being the SMSgt that I am, I pretended I wasnt lol.

Unless you were serving in the African Air Patrol, it's doubtful it was a Hyena.

"That Others May Zoom"

GTRanger

Quote from: Eclipse on February 20, 2012, 02:00:33 AM
Quote from: GTRanger on February 20, 2012, 12:13:37 AM
A hyena, no joke.

Unless you were serving in the African Air Patrol, it's doubtful it was a Hyena.

Well then we must have some pretty screwed up looking cats here, just sayin'.

"These things we do, that others may live." -USAF Pararescue and Ranger Motto

Eagle

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on February 20, 2012, 01:51:49 AM
Quote from: Eagle on February 20, 2012, 01:43:41 AM

What's that Lassie? Cadet Snuffy is trapped in a well? >:D

Heard that so many times  :P
C/2dLt Thomas Bracker
Pell City Composite Squadron
Alpha Flight Commander

Flying Pig

Ive never met an animal on a CAP mission, but Ive met some rather insane base staff!   However, on an LE mission one night out in a rural area near Coalinga CA we got a call of a woman up in the hills screaming for help.  a search party of concerned citizens was forming and a couple local cops were there and called for helicopter to do a FLIR/NVG search.  Now keep in mind that we in the helicopter cannot hear what they are hearing.  We launch out and get on scene at about 0100.  After about two orbits I locate the "victim".  Peacocks show up nicely on cold nights and appareantly sound like a woman screaming for help.   ;D.  We serve ALL of the residents of our county:)

PHall

Quote from: Flying Pig on February 23, 2012, 04:29:58 PM
Ive never met an animal on a CAP mission, but Ive met some rather insane base staff!   However, on an LE mission one night out in a rural area near Coalinga CA we got a call of a woman up in the hills screaming for help.  a search party of concerned citizens was forming and a couple local cops were there and called for helicopter to do a FLIR/NVG search.  Now keep in mind that we in the helicopter cannot hear what they are hearing.  We launch out and get on scene at about 0100.  After about two orbits I locate the "victim".  Peacocks show up nicely on cold nights and appareantly sound like a woman screaming for help.   ;D.  We serve ALL of the residents of our county:)

Yeah, they DO sound like a woman screaming for help.  They also poop on everything. And they're a big bird too, which means lots of poop!

Can you tell we have peacocks in my neighborhood? >:D

CAP4117

At LESA-South we were conducting a nighttime SAREX and knew only that the possible victim (played by one of our instructors) was out in the dark somewhere. It was so foggy that we could barely see 10 feet in front of us. I was leading a group of sleep-deprived cadets in a line search. Suddenly, a cow mooed in the distance.
Cadet 1: "Was that a cow?"
Cadet 2 (in a panicked voice): "Cows don't moo at night!"
We heard another moo.
Cadet 1: "Cows don't moo that often!"
Cadet 2: "I bet it's the victim, and that's the only sound he can make!"
Cadet 1: "Or maybe they planted the cow there just to mess with us!"
Cadet 2: "I think we should stop the line search right now and go over there and check it out!!"
Me: "It's a cow. Forward the line."
Evaluator: "Guys, I'm going to clear this up right now. It's just a cow. There's a farm over there."
The cadets and I had a good laugh about it the next day.

Al Sayre

Quote from: PHall on February 23, 2012, 05:30:02 PM
Quote from: Flying Pig on February 23, 2012, 04:29:58 PM

Yeah, they DO sound like a woman screaming for help.  They also poop on everything. And they're a big bird too, which means lots of poop!

Can you tell we have peacocks in my neighborhood? >:D

They're not real smart either.  When I lived outside Gainesville FL, my neighbor had several of them.  They would spend all day pecking at their own reflections in the bumper and hubcaps of my truck... 
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

SarDragon

We had several in my neighborhood for a while. Got three or four years worth of molted train feathers from two males. Probably still have a couple hundred stored away. Haven't tried really hard to find a place to sell them. Some are over five feet long.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret