Random animals you have met on missions

Started by Tubacap, June 03, 2008, 02:07:32 AM

titanII

Here in MA, we only have wild turkeys that clog up the back roads. Cool to look at a couple times, but once you've seen 'em enough, it's kind of annoying, because they're not exactly smart about crossing the road. But I guess they'd taste pretty good, if you're a hunter.  ;D
No longer active on CAP talk

AngelWings

While this isn't exactly a mission, I was on the local ANG base, and me and a few people were driving up to the chow hall for lunch. We turned a corner, and looked at some fencing blocking off the runway from the road, and we saw a bunch of turkeys on the inside of the gate. On the outside were two turkeys. They were going insane trying to find a way to get in to the gate. The turkeys inside of the gate were frantically pacing around inside the gate (I should add they looked young, so probably the two turkeys on the outside of the gate's children). Next day, we head back up in the morning for some more chow (the food at this chow hall is AMAZING) and they are still there, doing the same thing.

titanII

Quote from: Littleguy on February 24, 2012, 02:31:11 PMthey are still there, doing the same thing.
Like I said, turkeys are certainly not the geniuses of the bird world

Spaceman3750

Quote from: titanII on February 24, 2012, 03:40:19 PM
Quote from: Littleguy on February 24, 2012, 02:31:11 PMthey are still there, doing the same thing.
Like I said, turkeys are certainly not the geniuses of the bird world

Nope, but they're delicious with stuffing or fried in peanut oil >:D 8).

titanII

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on February 24, 2012, 03:45:05 PM
Nope, but they're delicious with stuffing or fried in peanut oil >:D 8).
Amen to that  >:D

AngelWings

Only if we were allowed armaments to hunt and kill turkeys while with CAP  >:D

Private Investigator

I wish for wild turkeys.

We are in the boondocks and I saw large birds 100 yards down the dirt road. I am thinking turkeys until we get close and turns out to be two vultures enjoying road kill   ;)

EMT-83

As Homer Simpson might say; "mmm... Wild Turkey".

titanII

Quote from: Private Investigator on February 27, 2012, 01:38:16 AM
We are in the boondocks and I saw large birds 100 yards down the dirt road. I am thinking turkeys until we get close and turns out to be two vultures enjoying road kill   ;)
I've seen turkey vultures in MA before, but not frequently. But I was recently down in FL, and they were all over the place! Smart birds, if you ask me.  ;D

pilot97

Once on a bivouac, not me, (females bunked somewhere else :)) but all night the males had had to listen to a wild pig veryclose by.

Then the next day, during the day we all spotted something big and grey (I`m pretty sure it was a raccoon) very high up in a tree, but no one ever could agree on what it was. :o  :-\

Then, on a hike later we saw a gopher turtle. And in a lake we passed, we think we spotted an alligator

We also ran across a large variety of interesting birds, but no turkeys (many turkey vultures though) or large geese as far as I know.  ;D

Nothing unusual, but they were still cool.  ;D

C/MSgt.
C/MSgt.

bflynn

Quote from: titanII on February 24, 2012, 03:56:12 AM
Here in MA, we only have wild turkeys that clog up the back roads. Cool to look at a couple times, but once you've seen 'em enough, it's kind of annoying, because they're not exactly smart about crossing the road. But I guess they'd taste pretty good, if you're a hunter.  ;D

Not in CAP, but we saw a flock of turkeys - well a tom and his harem - cross the road in a very civilized and military fashion a couple of years ago in Asheville.  The entire group stopped on the side of the road, so we slowed down and stopped.  The tom went to the center line, faced our car and bustled out his feathers like standing road guard.  All the females crossed in single file line.  When the last one was off the road, the tom returned to the rest of the flock and everyone got on their way again.  Them sooner than us since we had to stop laughing first.

I so wish I'd had a video camera open...

titanII

Quote from: bflynn on March 22, 2012, 05:01:49 PM
Not in CAP, but we saw a flock of turkeys - well a tom and his harem - cross the road in a very civilized and military fashion a couple of years ago in Asheville.  The entire group stopped on the side of the road, so we slowed down and stopped.  The tom went to the center line, faced our car and bustled out his feathers like standing road guard.  All the females crossed in single file line.  When the last one was off the road, the tom returned to the rest of the flock and everyone got on their way again.  Them sooner than us since we had to stop laughing first.
They must breed smarter turkeys in North Carolina!  ;D

spacecadet97

Also, on a SAR-EVAL, I was monitoring a victim, with the evaluators nearby, when a female cadet, being a victim, ran up to me, quacked, and ran off. Since my victim was mostly stable, I followed the duck. She led me to another victim, but wouldn't let me approach the victim. She also was holding an aeronautical chart, and kept on saying, "My precious." My GTM wouldn't stop laughing while I was briefing him. It also made for a very interesting debriefing.
C/TSgt

The CyBorg is destroyed

This wasn't on a mission; in fact it was years ago when I was a Boy Scout.

My troop met a hognose snake in a densely-wooded area.  For those in the know, these harmless critters are extremely good at mimicking dangerous snakes to avoid being lunch for a predator.

They will coil, hiss, vibrate their tails in leaves and strike (without biting) like a rattlesnake.

They will vent their cloaca (scientific way of saying they poop all over you), roll over and play dead.

They will raise up and spread a "hood" like a Cobra, which is what this one did.

It scared the snot out of some of my fellow Scouts; fortunately, I was in the know about what it was  ;D and my Scoutmaster used it as a teachable moment.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011