What happens at Encampment?

Started by 356cadet, June 06, 2008, 12:49:36 AM

356cadet

Hello.

I am a member of the Arizona Wing, and I will be going to encampment for the first time in a week :o. I would like to know, however, what goes on in Encampment. I already know that you must keep your bed tip-top, and you go PTingin the morning, and in the day, depending on the day, you do things like flying or classes.

I would accept any input, staff or basics. I would pratically praise those from previous AZWG encampments, basics or staff from previous years, or staff for this year. Go ahead and fill me in, so I can be, what we say in Boy Scout: Be Prepared!

Thanks! ;D

Duke Dillio

Well, the encampment starts with a ritual in which you shed your blood and sign a contract saying that you will be a CAP member for the rest of your life.  Then there is a ceremony in which the staff sacrifices a basic to the great encampment god...

So if you believed that, you haven't read CAPR 52-16 which basically lays out the required elements of the encampment.  I haven't been to one in some time and each encampment is different.  When I went, there was a lot of D&C and a lot of classroom time.  They took us on several "field trips" including a tour of the Pentagon, an orientation ride on a USAF aircraft to Wright Patterson AFB, and a trip to the USAF museum.

Since you will be going to an encampment in Arizona, I would suggest you start practicing standing at attention for long periods without locking your knees.  I personally witnessed two complete elements "fall out" (read pass out) during some of the D&C time.  Also, become intimate with CAPM 39-1 and make sure your uniforms are in awesome shape before showing up.  This should save you quite a bit of grief.

Anyway, go forth and do great things.  Encampment should be a blast so hopefully you will have a good time.  Make sure you come back and tell us how it went.

DC

Go and you will find out. That is my advise.

Typically half the fun in Encampment is not knowing what is going to happen. Do not expect to be privy to what is going to happen to you until the last minute.

Pylon

Bring everything they tell you to bring on the packing list.  Don't bring anything they tell you not to.  Don't expect to sleep much, but expect to learn a whole lot.  in all likelihood by the end you'll have really enjoyed encampment and hopefully will return in future years to staff it and contribute back.  Good luck and have fun.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

mikeylikey

Make some friends while you are there.  Best chance for you to get to meet Cadets from far away in your State, that you will see at other Wing events.  It is always nice to know someone in the room when attending activities and events! 

No one said it yet, but you should have tons of fun. 

Like Pylon said above, pack what they tell you to pack, DON'T pack what is not on the list.  Leave your cellphone at home, and don't take any more than $25.00.

Oh and make sure your boots are broken in.  If they are not broken in yet......start tonight by sleeping in them.  Wear them everyday until you leave.     
What's up monkeys?

DC

Quote from: mikeylikey on June 06, 2008, 01:22:47 AM
Oh and make sure your boots are broken in.  If they are not broken in yet......start tonight by sleeping in them.  Wear them everyday until you leave.     
Yes, you will hate yourself if you get blisters when it could have been prevented. You will be marching. A lot.

davidsinn

Read and become very familiar with the Drill Manual AFMan 36-2203.

edited - removed out of date links
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

MIKE

^ NHQs copy is out of date.  Get the latest from my sticky or Air Force e-Publishing.
Mike Johnston

davidsinn

Thanks for that info I'll have to update my files and those of my unit
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Chappie

Though the video was shot nearly 8 years ago, this captures what the CAWG Cadet Encampment is like...all the elements are there:

http://www.cawgcadets.org/activities/encampment/encampment.php

You will have a great time.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

notaNCO forever

A variety of things happen at encampment there will defiantly be drill and usually O flights and I guarantee there will be yelling lots of it. Just remember to try your best and before you go make sure you know drill and your uniform is correct.

afgeo4

All encampments are different. Some are large, at USAF bases, with lots of Air Force logistical support. Some are small, at local national guard camps and such and are almost 100% CAP supported. Most fall in the middle.

Some encampments focus on basic training aspects of the cadet program and are run almost exclusively by cadets with little oversight from senior members. Some encampments are more focused on developing leadership skills in staff members and use Senior Members as mentors to all staff. Some really focus on the aerospace stuff and just maintain the minimum limit of CAP and USAF introduction.

Overall, encampments are the same. That is to say they all have to meet minimum required standards for what makes an encampment... a CAP encampment and that's spelled out in the regulations. What they add to the activity is what makes them all different. Whether you have a good time in AZ or not. Whether you feel you've learned a lot or not, remember... there are other encampments out there too and you may have it better/worse there and you may learn more/less.

I do encourage you to take away everything positive from your experience that you can and learn, learn, learn. Not just about CAP and USAF, but about yourself, your flightmates, your superiors, relationships between them all and most of all... LIFE.

Then come back next year as a staff member either in your home state or elsewhere and apply what you learned. It makes us all better that way.

(We, the senior members learn as much from cadets as you learn from us. We just don't always tell you about it.)
GEORGE LURYE

afgeo4

Quote from: NCO forever on June 06, 2008, 08:41:07 PM
A variety of things happen at encampment there will defiantly be drill and usually O flights and I guarantee there will be yelling lots of it. Just remember to try your best and before you go make sure you know drill and your uniform is correct.
Chief... don't guarantee things like that. There's no yelling at anyone at the NYWG leadership encampment and I can promise you that we turn out very high quality cadets.

Yelling isn't necessary when you have other tools of leadership and it isn't necessary when you realize that cadets that attend in-flight want to be there and do those things (they wouldn't have volunteered and paid to go if they didn't). By the way... ever heard of hazing? I doubt you've taken CPPT yet, so I encourage you to ask your leadership officer about yelling at people and how it relates to hazing.

Yes, O-Flights, drill instruction and uniform inspections are mandatory at all encampments, but there's sooooo much more!
GEORGE LURYE

DC

Quote from: afgeo4 on June 06, 2008, 08:49:42 PM
Chief... don't guarantee things like that. There's no yelling at anyone at the NYWG leadership encampment and I can promise you that we turn out very high quality cadets.

Yelling isn't necessary when you have other tools of leadership and it isn't necessary when you realize that cadets that attend in-flight want to be there and do those things (they wouldn't have volunteered and paid to go if they didn't). By the way... ever heard of hazing? I doubt you've taken CPPT yet, so I encourage you to ask your leadership officer about yelling at people and how it relates to hazing.

Yes, O-Flights, drill instruction and uniform inspections are mandatory at all encampments, but there's sooooo much more!
O-Flights are mandatory?! I sure as heck didn't get one at SER WE 05-06. The only thing near flying that happened was the two cadets per flight that got to go play with F-15 simulators.

afgeo4

Quote from: DC on June 06, 2008, 09:02:25 PM

O-Flights are mandatory?! I sure as heck didn't get one at SER WE 05-06. The only thing near flying that happened was the two cadets per flight that got to go play with F-15 simulators.
They're not really mandatory... Aerospace Education is. Most encampments use O-flights and AE classes to satisfy those requirements and put hours on the planes (since most cadets can't escape encampments and the biggest problem about doing O-flights is getting cadets there in the first place). These can also help with Aerospace Career Exploration.

However, since Wings can supplement requirements set forth by CAPR 52-16, they may actually be required at some wings' encampments.
GEORGE LURYE

addo1

Quote from: afgeo4 on June 06, 2008, 09:17:10 PM

They're not really mandatory... Aerospace Education is. Most encampments use O-flights and AE classes to satisfy those requirements and put hours on the planes (since most cadets can't escape encampments and the biggest problem about doing O-flights is getting cadets there in the first place). These can also help with Aerospace Career Exploration.

However, since Wings can supplement requirements set forth by CAPR 52-16, they may actually be required at some wings' encampments.

At my basic encampment there were no O-flights whatsoever.. I guess it depends on the wing.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

afgeo4

Quote from: addo1 on June 06, 2008, 10:54:52 PM
Quote from: afgeo4 on June 06, 2008, 09:17:10 PM

At my basic encampment there were no O-flights whatsoever.. I guess it depends on the wing.
I'm sorry. Have that issue brought up at CAC.

NY Wing does o-flights on CAP aircraft for those cadets who've never had them before and everyone else gets an LC-130 military o-flight during the encampment. We're very thankful to the NYANG for those. Actually, there's now a flight academy being done during the encampment as well, so there are more aircraft and pilots available too.
GEORGE LURYE

ThorntonOL

Back in 03 we had O-flights and let me tell you, it was interesting.
Of course something is almost always gonna happen. ( during the Encampment in general.)
For me it was my o-flight, we headed up in the air and out only to find we had no way of communicating with any aircraft but we could hear them.
Well on the way back and my turn up front we had NO radios and this was at Fort Drum.
Lucky for us there was another flight heading back at the time and we got back ok.
Ended up being the radio got disconnected.
THAT was FUN!
Of course the big thunder boomer at the end of the week was real nice to. We had almost the entire encampment underneath a pavilion or two waiting it out.

It was a fun summer.
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

afgeo4

Ahh... the famous '03 Encampment at Drum. I wish I had gone to that one.
GEORGE LURYE

ThorntonOL

I know only what happened to myself and my flight. Sir why is it famous?
NY-292

DC

Quote from: ThorntonOL on June 18, 2008, 12:03:54 AM
Of course the big thunder boomer at the end of the week was real nice to. We had almost the entire encampment underneath a pavilion or two waiting it out.
At the 05-06 SER WE the whole base (Tyndall) was under tornado warnings. They cancelled Pass in Review and did an abortive 'graduation' in the Enlisted Club. Then after I signed out I got stuck in the BX because of the storms. Then after we left the base we stopped to get lunch and locked the keys in the car, so we were stuck at a little seafood shack on the beach for four hours waiting for AAA. That was interesting.

mikeylikey

Quote from: DC on June 19, 2008, 01:45:07 AM
Then after we left the base we stopped to get lunch and locked the keys in the car, so we were stuck at a little seafood shack on the beach for four hours waiting for AAA. That was interesting.

Oh my.....that must have been terrible.  Stuck in a seafood shack on the beach.  Man.....I would do that as a vacation if I had the chance.   :D
What's up monkeys?

DC

Quote from: mikeylikey on June 19, 2008, 01:49:34 AM
Quote from: DC on June 19, 2008, 01:45:07 AM
Then after we left the base we stopped to get lunch and locked the keys in the car, so we were stuck at a little seafood shack on the beach for four hours waiting for AAA. That was interesting.

Oh my.....that must have been terrible.  Stuck in a seafood shack on the beach.  Man.....I would do that as a vacation if I had the chance.   :D
In driving rain after it had closed? We were sitting on the front porch watching three morons try to surf in a freakin thunderstorm...

mikeylikey

^ YA....I take it back.  Not such a great vacation wish! 

AAA is a lifesaver sometimes.
What's up monkeys?

ThorntonOL

Just remembered a fun event, Operation Charlie Sierra.
Not saying what it is because I'm not sure if they still do it during Encampment but anyone who was at NYWG encampent 03 or before would know what I'm talking about. Now if they don't do it anymore let me know and i'll say what it is. (Not punishment, don't worry.)
NY-292

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

ThorntonOL

Is NY Wing still using Charlie Sierra  at encampment?
Anyone who has been there since 2004.
NY-292

afgeo4

I don't think we do Charlie Sierra at Stratton. At least nothing that I know of as Charlie Sierra (they may have changed the name).
GEORGE LURYE

mikeylikey

^ So....what the crap is CS?!?!?!?!?!?!

Don't leave all of us in suspense!!!!!!!!!!!
What's up monkeys?

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: DC on June 06, 2008, 01:05:57 AM
Go and you will find out. That is my advise.

Typically half the fun in Encampment is not knowing what is going to happen. Do not expect to be privy to what is going to happen to you until the last minute.

True...i went to two, as a basic....WHY? Who knows? The first one was amazing and the second one I was like a pro
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

ThorntonOL

Since they don't call it Charlie Sierra anymore I can reveal it. (Not much of a surprise when you know it.
Operation Charlie Sierra is also known as Operation Clean Sweep.
Basically every flight had to clean all the locations in the barracks we had been bunking in and the bathrooms we used.  When you hear the name Charlie Sierra as an in lfight cadet you think it's going to be fun. Well when they found out they where cleaning there was a lot of disappointment but we knew we had to clean. no way out of it, plus looking back on it, it helped develop teamwork.
NY-292

dwb

Since we don't house cadets in barracks anymore, we don't do Clean Sweep.

However, there are still team building exercises that may involve light physical labor.  Last year, each flight built picnic benches, and they were donated to the dining hall to put on their outside patio.  The Mess Chief was very grateful.  In previous years, the cadets painted buildings on base.  It's a nice community service effort and it's a way to thank the base for their support.

ThorntonOL

Ok, so that's what they replaced it with. probably quite a few changes since we are no longer at Fort Drum for encampment.
NY-292

dwb

Very much so.  You should attend a Stratton encampment to get an updated perspective on things.

When people ask me which is better, Drum or Stratton, I always tell them it's different: better in some ways, worse in others, but a different enough experience that you should go back on staff and give it a go.

You last went in 2003, which was the largest NYWG encampment in quite some time.  I much prefer the ~200 attendees at Stratton to the ~350 that last year at Drum.  The logistics (feeding, housing, moving from point A to point B) are just so much easier.

afgeo4

Quote from: dwb on June 23, 2008, 07:23:04 PM
Very much so.  You should attend a Stratton encampment to get an updated perspective on things.

When people ask me which is better, Drum or Stratton, I always tell them it's different: better in some ways, worse in others, but a different enough experience that you should go back on staff and give it a go.

You last went in 2003, which was the largest NYWG encampment in quite some time.  I much prefer the ~200 attendees at Stratton to the ~350 that last year at Drum.  The logistics (feeding, housing, moving from point A to point B) are just so much easier.
The picnic tables and benches were so popular that all other shops on base tried to "borrow" them. We're going to make more this year for other squadrons on base. It's our little "thank you" to the Stratton family for hosting us and basically giving the base to us for the week.
GEORGE LURYE

TEAM SURGE

Any body go to Cascade Falcon x or Eagle Talon 3?
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

Eclipse

Quote from: TEAM SURGE on June 24, 2008, 08:02:42 PM

And those would be?

"That Others May Zoom"

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: Eclipse on June 24, 2008, 08:19:20 PM
Quote from: TEAM SURGE on June 24, 2008, 08:02:42 PM

And those would be?
Or i could have said Washington Wing Encampment or Oregon Wing Encampment
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

SAR-EMT1

Was that the one where the CAP SM managed to check out a Humvee from the motor pool and a crate of M-16's from the range?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

DC

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on June 28, 2008, 06:53:10 AM
Was that the one where the CAP SM managed to check out a Humvee from the motor pool and a crate of M-16's from the range?
:o  Did he have a wish to get the insider's prospective from Gitmo?

BillB

Aw the good old days, when CAP could check out vehicles from the motor pool. Take a driving test on base and get issued a government drivers license.  It solved all encampment transportation needs, buses, pick up trucks were most commonly used.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104