Main Menu

Encampment Planning

Started by UWONGO2, August 21, 2012, 11:44:29 PM

UWONGO2

I apparently missed a meeting and now I'm involved with planning our next summer encampment. I know there are several folks here with extensive experience in planning and executing successful encampments, I hope everyone doesn't mind some questions from a beginner.

First, I've been informed I should get an OPSPLAN put together right away. While it's allowed to change extensively during the planning process, the Air Force will want to see some sort of documentation before evaluating if it's possible for them to assist us in anyway. Our wing hasn't used a military facility to host encampment in many years and that likely won't change due the same limitations on space and the ops tempo of the bases, but we still want to at least talk to the AF to make sure nothing has changed or to see if they have any other ideas on how they may be able to assist us. I would really appreciate the opportunity to review the operations plans that you guys have put together, if anyone is willing to share.

One area our wing has struggled with is finding enough adult volunteers. We have about 700 seniors on the roster, yet we nearly had to cancel encampment last year due to lack of adults. I really dislike the concept of using the threat of cancellation as the primary motivator of senior members; I'd really appreciate hearing about alternate strategies.

Obviously any other helpful information that the CAPTALK crowd is willing to share would also be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Garibaldi

1. If an OPLAN for the last one exists, you can use that as a template for the next one. All you need to do is change dates, activities, etc.

2. Contact the last commander and ask him to walk you through it.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Eclipse

OPSLANs are not required, and its fairly unusual to see encampments that use them - they simply don't fit what encampment does or how they work,
a good plan, however, is a necessity.

You'll need to understand the various roles of the staffers.

The State Director (LRADO) will have even less time then he might have had before, and how that shakes out in terms of CAP-USAF support is
still TBD. 

You'll need to review 52-16, the encampment guides (including the recent draft), and related docs - there's at least 40 hours of curriculum that is require,
and you have to put together a framework and schedule to show that you've met those mandates (the draft guide increases that to 47).

The venue will be key, until you have dates on the calendar and a place to sleep and eat, nothing else matters - you can't budget, you can't plan activities, and you can't solicit staff.

It takes 6-8 months to plan an encampment, and that is usually with experienced staffers who have been around the block a few times.  A lot has changed recently, and more will change soon - that's good.  My first year as a commander was right after a new 52-16 came out which meant I
could use that a leverage to sweep the dead weight and the "we never did it that way befores".

Assuming you've been appointed commander - your job is hots, cots, and getting the other key staffers. The Commandant is responsible for the curriculum - get a good one and your life will be easy, get someone with little experience, and you'll make things a lot harder then they need to be.

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

If I knew which wing you were in it might help but:

1. First is location. You must have a place to hold the encampment. It must provide billets(for trainees and staff), dining facilities, classrooms, and training areas. I suggest that you check with your states National Guard Department to see if they have a training facility that might be available. They may have a facility much like the Illinois Military Academy in Springfield that is available for a week during the summer. If you can't find something like that a college campus may be your next bet. I would also double check with your active duty bases. As OEF is drawing down a lot of bases are starting to open back up. WI was able to get back on Volk ANGB this year for the first time in several years.

2. Food will probably be your biggest expense. We are lucky here in IL in that our encampment CC is a expert chef and caterer in her everyday job. She is able to buy food at discount or have it donated. If you can find someone with catering or event planning experience you will be miles ahead.

3. For planning we use ICS. Our encampment is organized with some modifications just like a mission. We even produce a daily Incident Action Plan. If you would like me to, I can send you copies of our daily IAPs from last year which includes the schedules.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Eclipse

Quote from: UWONGO2 on August 21, 2012, 11:44:29 PMFirst, I've been informed I should get an OPSPLAN put together right away. While it's allowed to change extensively during the planning process, the Air Force will want to see some sort of documentation before evaluating if it's possible for them to assist us in anyway. Our wing hasn't used a military facility to host encampment in many years and that likely won't change due the same limitations on space and the ops tempo of the bases, but we still want to at least talk to the AF to make sure nothing has changed or to see if they have any other ideas on how they may be able to assist us. I would really appreciate the opportunity to review the operations plans that you guys have put together, if anyone is willing to share.

I just re-read this, to caveat my above statement, an OPSLAN is not required by CAP, however if you're dealing with a local base policy, then you have to do whatever they require.  We've been running an encampment on the same base for over 20 years, and we still start requesting dates
6-8 months out, with the always looming "world circumstances" hanging over our head as a possible "no go".  Such is the nature of dealing with an active duty base.

With that said, I'd look to the State Director (LRADO), or his new assistant, to open the initial lines of communication before yo invest a lot of time
in a plan no one will read.  You should be able to put some high-level numbers together on a 1-sheet to ask the basic questions of feasibility
(How many cadet, how many seniors, male / female ratios, billeting requirements, meals, and duration).

Remember the USAF isn't the only game in town, most states have bases from multiple services, and all should be considered as viable - keep in mind
the State Director or his assistant >must< be involved in the discussions until such time as he hands you off to a base liaison.

As Randy mentioned, meals will be your biggest expense, so if you can get access to a military mess that will allow you to purchase meals without the civilian surcharge, that will be your best option.  Bear in mind, also, that some states, counties, or local municipalities may have rules about running
a mess like an encampment would - it's not generally going to be the same as a bivouac - some rules can be quite onerous and require you use professional catering, or send your kitchen staff to food safety classes, they might also require a permit and / or inspections.

You should also be in consultation with your Wing's DCP and his staff - once appointed, an encampment CC effectively reports directly to the Wing CC & State Director (this is changing), but between activities, the DCP is supposed to have significant input into the curriculum, goals, venue, and other important parts of the wing's major cadet activities.

"That Others May Zoom"

UWONGO2

Quote from: Eclipse on August 22, 2012, 12:22:48 AMAssuming you've been appointed commander - your job is hots, cots, and getting the other key staffers. The Commandant is responsible for the curriculum - get a good one and your life will be easy, get someone with little experience, and you'll make things a lot harder then they need to be.

Well, the bad news for the commander is I'll be the commandant of cadets. The good news is the commander has been to numerous encampments (I've been to two) and we're both following a commander who laid a solid foundation for us to build upon.

Our primary task so far is attempting to locate a suitable facility. The location we've used the last 4-5 years has worked well for us, but it's becoming cost prohibitive and unfortunately, while we have a number of military bases here, there are a multitude of reasons we haven't been able to use any of them in the past.

As previously mentioned, my greatest concern is adult participation. We keep ending up with adults doing double or triple-duty and that's tough on people. We also have a lot of shuffling because the adults we do get often can't take the whole week off. Which leads me to another question, how do you guys handle RST for adults who arrive after the encampment has started? We usually have one or two adults arrive each day to replace an adult or two that's leaving because they could only handle staying a day or two.

Eclipse

Quote from: UWONGO2 on August 22, 2012, 08:05:50 PMWhich leads me to another question, how do you guys handle RST for adults who arrive after the encampment has started? We usually have one or two adults arrive each day to replace an adult or two that's leaving because they could only handle staying a day or two.

The simple answer is you can't allow it - most encampments do RST well before the activity, because you can't allow people who show up late to
participate in any capacity until after RST has been done, and its not reasonable to expect the staff to be running RST sessions every day for a few stragglers, especially with the new interactive, discussion-based curriculum.  The days of letting someone watch a video and calling it RST ended
1/2 a decade ago.

A lot of encampments schedule a full day staff training a month or so before the event to handle RST and other housekeeping, as well as have the staff
come together as a team. It's remarkable how important this is.  Every encampment will have any number of local policies to deal with, different in-process procedures, etc., and this is a good time to have the cadet staff working on their projects and classes as well.  The also generally the first run-through of the Pass In Review to get an idea who will need more drill help.

For those few people who simply "can't make it", consider doing teleconferences as make-up - you send links to the materials in advance and then run the sessions in the same way you would in-face.

"That Others May Zoom"

MajorM

It depends on the staff position, but you can have a recurring RST training.  For example if you have orientation pilots coming in a whole day of pre-training may not be appropriate.  Instead you could have a session as they arrive and before they engage cadets.  Just be sure they arrive early enough to train.

UWONGO2

Quote from: Eclipse on August 22, 2012, 08:37:04 PMThe simple answer is you can't allow it - most encampments do RST well before the activity, because you can't allow people who show up late to participate in any capacity until after RST has been done, and its not reasonable to expect the staff to be running RST sessions every day for a few stragglers, especially with the new interactive, discussion-based curriculum.  The days of letting someone watch a video and calling it RST ended 1/2 a decade ago.

We have typically held RST the day before because it reduces the amount of travel involved, especially for the out-state folks. It's an interesting idea though.

QuoteFor those few people who simply "can't make it", consider doing teleconferences as make-up - you send links to the materials in advance and then run the sessions in the same way you would in-face.

An excellent idea, thanks!

Quote from: MajorM on August 23, 2012, 03:03:30 AM
It depends on the staff position, but you can have a recurring RST training.  For example if you have orientation pilots coming in a whole day of pre-training may not be appropriate.  Instead you could have a session as they arrive and before they engage cadets.  Just be sure they arrive early enough to train.

I guess I never would have thought pilots would need to do RST. The regulation reads that "staff" needs to do RST, but we end up with a decent amount of instructors who come in and do their one class, such as folks from the Air Force, a DDR staffer, and the occasional guest speaker. Am I wrong that I don't consider these folks as staff members?

UWONGO2

Quote from: Eclipse on August 22, 2012, 12:22:48 AMThe Commandant is responsible for the curriculum - get a good one and your life will be easy, get someone with little experience, and you'll make things a lot harder then they need to be.

I meant to ask - where do I find the job descriptions for encampment-specific positions? I looked at CAPR 52-16 and CAPP 52-15, but I didn't see anything.

a2capt

People brought in to do a particular class fall in the category where they have to be supervised by someone else. Basically, others are in the room at the same time. Unless they're a CAP member with Level I ..

Those who come in to give a class are not staff, they're instructors. Instructors are not always staff in that regard.

ol'fido

Quote from: UWONGO2 on August 23, 2012, 09:30:04 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on August 22, 2012, 12:22:48 AMThe Commandant is responsible for the curriculum - get a good one and your life will be easy, get someone with little experience, and you'll make things a lot harder then they need to be.

I meant to ask - where do I find the job descriptions for encampment-specific positions? I looked at CAPR 52-16 and CAPP 52-15, but I didn't see anything.
Try this:

www.cawgcadets.org/activities/encampment/ETMFull.pdf

or this for some more info on encampment management:

www.nywgcadets.org/caperp/staff.html\

UWONGO2

Thanks, there is a lot of helpful information there! I take it however that there is nothing "official" regarding encampment job descriptions. A previous post had me concerned there was a regulation I was missing.

Eclipse

The new draft encampment guide defines of high-level staff jobs and will force some change, if only in title.

"That Others May Zoom"

UWONGO2

I was just reading Col. Lee's post about medical care at encampment, which is the best explanation of what we can and can't do I've ever seen. I actually wish it was written into CAPR 160-2.

One area that I haven't seen covered is over-the-counter medication. If I'm reading the regulation correctly (which is not certain by any means), things like aspirin and ibuprofen should not be given to cadets. Would it be appropriate to add these types of medications (antacids, pain relief, intestional management) as optional items on the packing list?

Eclipse

160-2, Page 3

a. Cadet Self-Medication.  Cadets may only self-administer non-prescription
medications as provided in writing by the parents or guardians. 

b. Permission for Administration; Limitations.  Situations may arise where nonprescription medications would be helpful to  treat a minor illness or injury, but were not provided in the original written parental permission.  Non-prescription medications may be given
to minor cadets as needed and according to package directions by CAP senior members, if
permission has been given in writing by the cadet's parent or  guardian.
  Herbal medications,
vitamins, and dietary supplements are not to be provided by senior members to cadets under this
paragraph.  CAP has no approved protocols for the administration of any prescription or nonprescription medications or substances by any member other than as provided in this regulation. 
This regulation does not pre-empt any state law or regulation that would prohibit a CAP member
from undertaking these actions, and each wing's supplement to this regulation (as required by
paragraph 3 above) shall describe any such prohibitions on the administration of non-prescription
medications by non-licensed persons.   

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

We have one permission slip that the parents can check off if they approve of their cadet getting: military o-rides, CAP o-rides, OTC meds, weapons/or weapons simulation training(DOD approved), etc. It is part of the application packet.

Eclipse

We've had something similar, but for meds I'd be comfortable with an email from the parents to the HSO per-incident vs. a blanket approval.

"That Others May Zoom"

UWONGO2

Wow, that was a bit embarassing. Thank you for pointing out the bit about non-prescription meds, I'm not sure how I missed that (regulation fatigue I suspect).

I've been going through the proposed CAPP 52-24 and I noticed the org chart does not include a medical staff member. I'm sure this is not by accident. We've been successful in having a senior member serve as the main contact point for minor medical issues the cadets typically come up with during encampment. A bit of road rash, upset tummies, headaches, blisters, that sort of thing. By having one contact person, it assists with trend analysis and it frees up the TACs to focus on the entire flight, instead of helping one or two with moleskin bandages.

Anything more serious, like a twisted ankle or the chewed fingernail that becomes infected (yup, happened) get a trip down to urgent care (with parent coordination). Hopefully this falls in with the spirit of CAP's understandable determination to avoid providing medical care.

Eclipse

Quote from: UWONGO2 on August 27, 2012, 11:33:06 PMAnything more serious, like a twisted ankle or the chewed fingernail that becomes infected (yup, happened) get a trip down to urgent care (with parent coordination). Hopefully this falls in with the spirit of CAP's understandable determination to avoid providing medical care.

It does, and that's how we've done it for 10+ years.

"That Others May Zoom"