Main Menu

encampment schedule

Started by UpstateSAR, January 15, 2012, 09:20:19 PM

UpstateSAR

I was just wondering what a normal encampment schedule would look like.  I have a group of cadets (including myself ::)(I havent been to encampment yet)) who want to know what usually happens in a day at encampment.

Eclipse

They vary a lot - a weekend encampment will be longer days than a week-day one.

But most have everyone up by 0600, then running non-stop until around dinner time, and then activities after dinner.
Some will have flight time after dinner for a short while.

Most are lights out no later than 2200(ish) (though some staff may be up later).

"That Others May Zoom"

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Eclipse on January 15, 2012, 09:28:22 PM
They vary a lot - a weekend encampment will be longer days than a week-day one.

But most have everyone up by 0600, then running non-stop until around dinner time, and then activities after dinner.
Some will have flight time after dinner for a short while.

Most are lights out no later than 2200(ish) (though some staff may be up later).
We had to be on the parade field at 0530. We got up at 0500.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

cadetesman

Myself and Extreme Prejudice went to the same encampment.

Schedule was as follows:

0530: Everyone gets up (I got up earlier so I could be prepared, and make my bed without having to rush
0545: On parade field
Approx, 0600: March to chow
0600 - 0700: Varies
0700: Safety Briefing
0700 to approx. 1600: Daily activities
1200: March to Chow
1610: PT
1700: Showers
1730: Back at barracks, change into BDU's again
1800: Parade field
1830: March to chow
1900 - 2100: Class
2100 - 2200: Personal time (Reflections, cleaning, duty squadron, shine boots, study etc.)
2200: Lights out

Again, this is just a rough approximation, the week flew by, and was very busy, so it's easy to forget every time.

BUT, you will have a GREAT time, encampment was a great experience, and you really do feel like a more "real" part of CAP once you go.

Hope this helped.

Extremepredjudice

Lol, squadron 1 was always up and out before everyone else.

We stole squadron 4s spot, once. Just cause they were taking to long.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

UpstateSAR

yep it helped alot, thanks for responding so quickly!

titanII

Mine differed a bit from the one cadetesman posted, probably because mine was a summer encampment. This is a VERY rough approximation, as I had no knowledge of the schedule. Also I had no idea what time it was, so I'll just leave the times out
wake up
Morning PT (go for a run, do some push-ups, flutter kicks, sprints, etc.)
shower
change into BDU's
Morning Chow
Room Maintenance
Drill
Class
March to DFAC
Afternoon Chow
An Afternoon activity: O-Course, Blackhawk rides, etc. And/Or more room maintenance, drill, and classes
Evening Chow
Evening PT (play Kickball, ultimate frisbee, etc.)
Shower
"Free" Time: shining boots/shoes, fixing up your locker, studying OI
Sleep
Repeat

*Any time not spent doing anything will be spent studying your OI.
Enjoy it!
No longer active on CAP talk

CAPC/officer125

As a cadet who has attended 7 encampments since I joined in 05, I do have to say-It does differ from encampment to encampment, even year to year at the same encampment ( I have attended 5 KSWG Winter Encampments). Definitely the only thing(s) that is consistent is that they are all different, will have PT, waking up (semi)early, classes, and you will make friends.
C/LtCol Priscilla (Pat) Temaat
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff
2012 Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership Encampment Cadet Commander

Huey Driver

BTW, "wright brother#: unknown due to incompetent squad commander"???

Just check your Cadet Promotions Track Report on eServices, it shouldn't be the the responsibility of your squadron commander.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Slim

Quote from: JerseyCadet on January 17, 2012, 04:38:35 AM
BTW, "wright brother#: unknown due to incompetent squad commander" ???

Just check your Cadet Promotions Track Report on eServices, it shouldn't be the the responsibility of your squadron commander.

Not to mention the fact that I'm sure his squadron commander would be less than pleased to find out how his cadet "First shirt" really feels about him.  Which shouldn't be too hard, since his unit name and charter are posted in his sig, and I'm sure his squadron only has one first sergeant.

Clean out your headgear, cadet.  I'm pretty sure one of the many lurkers on this site is an upstate/central NY group commander, and one of the guys who runs this site is a member of an upstate/central NY squadron.  Even if they aren't close to you, squadron and group commanders do tend to talk to one another.  I will say that if you were my cadet first sergeant, and had such flattering things to say about me on a public message board, we'd be having a little talk, with me doing all the talking, and you walking out of the room as a member of the last element in the formation, and light a few stripes on your collar.

EDIT:  Now that I see where you are in New York, it's even better.  I have some personal connectivity with a certain CAP senior master sergeant (or is it Lt Col this year?  I don't remember) up Plattsburgh way (as in I'm one third of the reason he joined CAP in 1988, he's been to more encampments in MIWG than anywhere else, and he usually crashes in my spare bedroom for a day or so before our encampment), which is also in your group.  Lesson to be learned is this:  if you're going to badmouth your unit commander in public, make it hard enough that about five minutes of Google-fu won't reveal so much about you.

Slim

rustyjeeper

Quote from: Slim on January 17, 2012, 07:01:24 AM
Quote from: JerseyCadet on January 17, 2012, 04:38:35 AM
BTW, "wright brother#: unknown due to incompetent squad commander" ???

Not to mention the fact that I'm sure his squadron commander would be less than pleased to find out how his cadet "First shirt" really feels about him.  Which shouldn't be too hard, since his unit name and charter are posted in his sig, and I'm sure his squadron only has one first sergeant.

Clean out your headgear, cadet.  I'm pretty sure one of the many lurkers on this site is an upstate/central NY group commander, and one of the guys who runs this site is a member of an upstate/central NY squadron.  Even if they aren't close to you, squadron and group commanders do tend to talk to one another.  I will say that if you were my cadet first sergeant, and had such flattering things to say about me on a public message board, we'd be having a little talk, with me doing all the talking, and you walking out of the room as a member of the last element in the formation, and light a few stripes on your collar.

EDIT:  Now that I see where you are in New York, it's even better.  I have some personal connectivity with a certain CAP senior master sergeant (or is it Lt Col this year?  I don't remember) up Plattsburgh way (as in I'm one third of the reason he joined CAP in 1988, he's been to more encampments in MIWG than anywhere else, and he usually crashes in my spare bedroom for a day or so before our encampment), which is also in your group.  Lesson to be learned is this:  if you're going to badmouth your unit commander in public, make it hard enough that about five minutes of Google-fu won't reveal so much about you.

>:(
Yet another cadet sets themself up for failure. I truly hope that cadet's learn not just to hide where they are. Instead,  to think about their comments in public and what the possible consequences might be of their actions/ comments here....
Please use your heads and learn from the mistakes of others- Captalk should consider assigning Darwin Awards for those who continually repeat this mistake....... ;)

Pylon

Quote from: Slim on January 17, 2012, 07:01:24 AM

Even better, Slim.  I know his squadron commander personally.  We go way back.  Hmm.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

One more teachable moment about the intertubes.  Never post anything (publicly or privately), that you would not say to someone in person.

"That Others May Zoom"

jsmcgary

I too know this squadron commander, he recently attended a TLC I ran, good guy. As Eclipse said this is a good learning opportunity. Don't bad mouth your CC in public.

Slim - I know the gentleman you speak of, he did a number of Encampments here in NH in the early and mid 2000's. The best person I have ever had the pleasure of working with.
Joshua S. McGary, Maj, CAP
Cadet Programs Staff
New Hampshire Wing

pilot97

Quote from: cadetesman on January 15, 2012, 11:41:48 PM
Myself and Extreme Prejudice went to the same encampment.

Schedule was as follows:

0530: Everyone gets up (I got up earlier so I could be prepared, and make my bed without having to rush
0545: On parade field
Approx, 0600: March to chow
0600 - 0700: Varies
0700: Safety Briefing
0700 to approx. 1600: Daily activities
1200: March to Chow
1610: PT
1700: Showers
1730: Back at barracks, change into BDU's again
1800: Parade field
1830: March to chow
1900 - 2100: Class
2100 - 2200: Personal time (Reflections, cleaning, duty squadron, shine boots, study etc.)
2200: Lights out

Again, this is just a rough approximation, the week flew by, and was very busy, so it's easy to forget every time.

BUT, you will have a GREAT time, encampment was a great experience, and you really do feel like a more "real" part of CAP once you go.

Hope this helped

That's quite interesting, at the FLWG 2011 summer encampment, we got up at 0500, and we had to be at the parade field doing PT (which includes a mile every day, FUN  ;D!)  by 0530.

I guess all encampments are very different.  :)

C/TSgt.
C/MSgt.

UpstateSAR

Isn't it the commanders job to at least tell the cadet that you have to send it in to NHQ because he didnt if he did I would of definitely done it myself.  I had to find out about it online here on CAPtalk just a few days ago, at the next meeting I'm going to ask him about it.  What also frustrates me is that one of my cadets just got C/SSgt and also was not told that he had to send it in.

davidsinn

Quote from: UpstateSAR on January 17, 2012, 09:48:57 PM
Isn't it the commanders job to at least tell the cadet that you have to send it in to NHQ because he didnt if he did I would of definitely done it myself.  I had to find out about it online here on CAPtalk just a few days ago, at the next meeting I'm going to ask him about it.  What also frustrates me is that one of my cadets just got C/SSgt and also was not told that he had to send it in.

You don't have to send anything in. If you want the number you just look it up online yourself.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

UpstateSAR

davidsinn- you said yourself on another topic on CAPtalk that you have to send something in

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=9413.20

UpstateSAR

doesnt matter anymore I talked to national and they got it fixed.

davidsinn

Quote from: UpstateSAR on January 17, 2012, 10:08:46 PM
davids inn- you said yourself on another topic on CAPtalk that you have to send something in

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=9413.20

That was over two years ago. Everything is online now.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

UpstateSAR

To all:  I would like to apologize to all in this great forum for completely disobeying the membership code of conduct and CAP's.  I sincerely thank those who pointed out my big mistake and told me how much in the wrong it was.  Once again I apologize and thank those who pointed out my mistakes.  Sincerely, Cadet anonymous

HGjunkie

*Face Desk*

I'm just putting this out there, any one of these posters probably lifted all your sig info.

This board is the best place to lose your anonymity. Even if you use "Cadet Anonymous."
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

ol'fido

Quote from: UpstateSAR on January 17, 2012, 10:44:52 PM
To all:  I would like to apologize to all in this great forum for completely disobeying the membership code of conduct and CAP's.  I sincerely thank those who pointed out my big mistake and told me how much in the wrong it was.  Once again I apologize and thank those who pointed out my mistakes.  Sincerely, Cadet anonymous
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

titanII

No longer active on CAP talk