Happy birthday, Bessie Coleman

Started by THRAWN, January 26, 2017, 01:34:56 PM

THRAWN

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bessie_Coleman

One of the less recognized early aviation legends. Discuss amongst yourselves....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

NIN

Today's Google doodle honors Bessie Coleman!
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

AirAux

What a pity that she died at such a young age and in such a terrible way.  It makes one wonder as to whether she would have been involved in CAP in the early days?  Happy Birthday Bessie, may you long be an example to others and may others be encouraged to reach their dreams through your inspiration!!

Live2Learn

Bessie Coleman was a very impressive person.  I think CAP should have an award named after her.

almostspaatz

Quote from: Live2Learn on February 12, 2017, 06:19:30 PM
Bessie Coleman was a very impressive person.  I think CAP should have an award named after her.

We prefer to name awards after important pioneers like "Logistics Officer" and "Flight Commander."

I do agree that we should have a Bessie Coleman Achievement, along with several others. There was talk awhile back about naming the unnamed promotions, but I don't know if that got anywhere. The question is: if you name the award, will it come with a ribbon? (The number one issue in CAP's cadet program is the lack of bells and whistles to put on our uniforms.)
C/Maj Steve Garrett

Live2Learn

Quote from: almostspaatz on February 13, 2017, 03:24:47 PM
(The number one issue in CAP's cadet program is the lack of bells and whistles to put on our uniforms.)

Don't worry, most cadets (and SM) get over that phase.  :)