Main Menu

Ground Team gear

Started by whatevah, March 08, 2005, 06:53:35 AM

whatevah

with NESA and summer Hawk Mountain approaching, a question we'll be hearing is "what do I need?".

Well, the answer that's too-often given is "everything in the task book". The fact is, that's a general list of stuff, and certain areas will need specific items that will replace the recommended item, or need something not listed at all.

So, how about posting your gear list, and how it differs from the task book?
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

arajca

For those activities, if a member is accepted, they will be receiving a list of what ot bring and, equally important, what not to bring. I believe the HAWK and NESA websites also have the equipment lists.

Greg

I used about 40% of what they told me to bring for Hawk.  For a bivouac, I'll usually bring lots of water, a compass, flashlight, a couple Clif bars, a knife, orange vest, duct tape, paracord, and maybe some other stuff that I can't remember right now. 
C/Maj Greg(ory) Boyajian, CAP
Air Victory Museum Composite Squadron

Horn229

Quote from: whatevah on March 08, 2005, 06:53:35 AMSo, how about posting your gear list, and how it differs from the task book?

Ok,

Cellphone
Money
Notebook
Mountain Dew

;D ;D ;D
NICHOLAS A. HORN, Senior Member, CAP

Schmidty06

Quote from: Horn229 on March 08, 2005, 07:13:51 PM
Quote from: whatevah on March 08, 2005, 06:53:35 AMSo, how about posting your gear list, and how it differs from the task book?

Ok,

Cellphone
Money
Notebook
Mountain Dew

;D ;D ;D

Bing-o

Nathan

Yeah, I was told Hawk made you bring a lot of stuff just to make your pack heavier. I'm gonna be running the list through some people in my squadron to check and see what I REALLY need.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

SAR junkie

Im going to Hawk this summer. There is alot of gear, but not nearly as much as the winter school needs.  And yes the website for Hawk does in fact have the equipment needed posted on it.

:)
C/MSgt Caliguiri
C/CC
Centenary Composite Squadron ~KY058~

search and rescue all the way!

Cadet Bonnett

what gear do you need for ES. I'm new. But i am qualified.
Cadet A1C Christin Bonnett
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

El Campamento del Ala de NH aquí yo vengo.

Pylon

Quote from: Cheergirl on June 20, 2005, 08:21:41 PM
what gear do you need for ES. I'm new. But i am qualified.

The gear you need will vary wildly depending on many factors, including what duties in ES you plan on doing (Ground Team, Aircrew, UDF, ad nauseum...), where in the U.S. you are, what types of missions your unit usually receives, and your budget.

Just starting off as a GES (General Emergency Services) qualified member, which I am assuming you are based on your other posts, you won't need a ton of specialized gear.  The best indicator is to see what types of missions your unit regularly gets involved with and see what other members in your situation use.  As you find an area of ES you like and earn your ratings, you'll know better what tpye of gear you'll need for those duties.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Cmdbuddy

Quote from: Horn229 on March 08, 2005, 07:13:51 PM

Ok,

Cellphone
Money
Notebook
Mountain Dew

;D ;D ;D

Oo-rah.. or Hoo-Airp! 

Like everyone else has said, gear depends on your location.  Here, when I mainly do UDF in the ghettos of New Orleans, it may very well be practical to pack a handgun... just kidding, of course. 

When selecting your gear, make sure that you know how to use everything in your pack.  There's no use lugging it around if you don't need it.  Also, reevaluate your gear every so often.  If there's something in there that you've never touched, chances are that you won't need it. 

To me, the most important things to have are: water, food, and toilet paper... and not necessarily in that order.  Oh yea, and dry socks.  I hate my feet being wet. 
Christie Ducote, Capt, CAP

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: Nathan on March 21, 2005, 03:07:32 AM
Yeah, I was told Hawk made you bring a lot of stuff just to make your pack heavier. I'm gonna be running the list through some people in my squadron to check and see what I REALLY need.

That's categorically untrue.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

Buzz

Quote from: Nathan on March 21, 2005, 03:07:32 AM

I was once told "If you have a clear idea what you are coming here to do, you will know what you have to have.  Anything more that you want to carry is up to you."

isuhawkeye

Bumb

I was recently forwarded this link. 

It is a list comparing 20 different ground team equipment check lists from SAR agencies around the world.  Just thought you would like to see.
http://www.1srg.org/Contributed-Materials/PackLists/SAR_Equipment_List_Compilation.pdf