Winter Encampment 2018

Started by ErhEV32952, April 22, 2018, 12:21:20 PM

ErhEV32952

I know this is a little early, but does anyone know what wings will be hosting winter encampments this year?

jeders

If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

capmember132

Are staff positions for winter encampments open? If not, when will they open? Are they already closed?
I looked everywhere online for winter encampment applications, and I found nothing.

MSG Mac

Quote from: capmember132 on May 28, 2018, 09:17:00 PM
Are staff positions for winter encampments open? If not, when will they open? Are they already closed?
I looked everywhere online for winter encampment applications, and I found nothing.

Texas, Florida, and Kansas come to mind (I'm sure there are others). But rather then asking Cap Talk about applying, contact the Wings directly. There addresses are available on the National CAP members page or by simply doing a web search for the particular wing. FYI RIWG has had encampments over Spring break also.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

arajca

Quote from: capmember132 on May 28, 2018, 09:17:00 PM
As most wings are gearing up for summer encampments, they are not looking at staffing their winter encampments yet. As for when, contact the wings directly after July or August.

jb3

Korea 15-22 December, 2018. Far East Winter Encampment. Osan Air Base Cadet Squadron is the host unit.

Color Guard Rifleman

On the Florida Winter Encampment website, the application process says it is closed for cadet staff applications. Yet, the deadline is October 23. I have tried to contact them to let them know of this issue multiple times. Can anyone get in contact with them to let them know of this issue?
C/SMSgt Murphy Killeen, CAP
2019 MIWG Encampment Squadron 2 First Sergeant
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

THRAWN

Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Eclipse

Quote from: THRAWN on September 26, 2018, 02:20:53 PM
Winter encampments scheduled to be announced in October.

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/programs/cadets/activities/

That may well be why it's currently showing as "closed".  As in "it'll open on 1 Oct (or whatever), then due on the 23rd, etc.".

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

It's probably closed because the Command Staff was being selected until 30SEP, as the website states. The rest of the cadet cadre will apply following the selection of the Command Staff.

You generally want to figure out who's running the show before opening the flood gates.

jb512

www.texascadet.org for the Texas Wing. They have not announced the staff or application procedure yet.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: jb512 on September 27, 2018, 12:06:19 AM
www.texascadet.org for the Texas Wing. They have not announced the staff or application procedure yet.

Yes they have:
http://www.texascadet.org/winter-encampment.html

*Updated 9 Sept 2018

jeders

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 27, 2018, 02:16:28 PM
Quote from: jb512 on September 27, 2018, 12:06:19 AM

Yes they have:
http://www.texascadet.org/winter-encampment.html

*Updated 9 Sept 2018

Yes and no. Much of the previously announced staff was rescinded and the staff selection process restarted. Additionally, the location of the encampment was moved to a much smaller venue with fewer amenities and opportunities. Based on the last time that that venue was used, I would expect student participation to be limited to no more than 80-85 with total participant counts around 100.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

rustyjeeper

Texas recently lost all of its seniors involved in cadet programs and all is hush- hush.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: rustyjeeper on September 29, 2018, 05:31:22 AM
Texas recently lost all of its seniors involved in cadet programs and all is hush- hush.

All? ALL? I mean, really -  A L L ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Luis R. Ramos

Not "ALL" is hush-hush if you are posting about it!

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

rustyjeeper

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on September 29, 2018, 10:41:45 AM

I am not someone who blindly drinks the look-aid anymore. I now realize that sites like AUXBEACON actually do have a legitimate purpose in counteracting the smoke and mirror leadership of CAP.

[fixed quote tag]

PHall

Quote from: rustyjeeper on September 29, 2018, 03:54:31 PM
Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on September 29, 2018, 10:41:45 AM

I am not someone who blindly drinks the look-aid anymore. I now realize that sites like AUXBEACON actually do have a legitimate purpose in counteracting the smoke and mirror leadership of CAP.

Fixed that for you.    And if you really trust AUXBEACON then why are you here?

jeders

Quote from: rustyjeeper on September 29, 2018, 05:31:22 AM

No, we didn't lose ALL of our seniors. The wing DCP and his staff were relieved and a new DCP and staff have been chosen. The new DCP and many of the new staff have been working with cadet programs at the wing level during the previous two wing commanders and are dedicated to providing the best that they can.

As for hush-hush, this situation is anything but. While there are one-sided stories being told by certain CAP members, both sides are known by those close to the situation.

That said, along with the firing of the DCP, a decision was made to move the winter encampment from Camp Swift NGTC to wing HQ. This means that the capacity for winter encampment (which draws just as many participants as summer encampment) went from 250+ to about 100. This also limits the amount of "fun" stuff as there are no military facilities within 100 miles of wing HQ. It was this decision which has caused many of the dedicated CP senior members to step back from winter encampment.