Should Senior Members Enourage or Discourage Cadets from Entering Military?

Started by RADIOMAN015, October 04, 2009, 04:55:36 PM

RADIOMAN015

I'm not being judgemental on this, but should units allow military recruiters to make informational presentation to our cadets at a normal squadron scheduled meeting about their particular branch of the service ???

Is our CAP cadet program slanted more to the military as a career choice, versus the cadets continuing their education after high school to study aero/aerospace or other high tech related subjects ???   

As senior members should we be encouraging cadets to go into the military, especially since (in some circles of opinion) the  Afghanistan war has the potential of turning into another Viet Nam for our country?    OR should we be emphasizing for the cadets to go on to higher education (at least a two year college/technical school) before making that decision to enter the military?  OR should we be at least encouraging them to enter the military only if they can get certain career fields that have limited 'front line" battle potential ???

Is the poor economy resulting in many more of our cadets entering the military, because they can't get a job out of high school; and/or don't have the funds to attend college (since their parents have lost their jobs) ???
RM

Eclipse

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on October 04, 2009, 04:55:36 PM
As senior members should we be encouraging cadets to go into the military, especially since (in some circles of opinion) the  Afghanistan war has the potential of turning into another Viet Nam for our country? 

That sentence is the reason we should stay out of it in from the encouragement / discouragement aspect.  That is your opinion, to which you have a right, but it should not be included in the conversation with our cadets.

Our program, by its very nature, encourages military, public, and community service.  There's no reason we should be not allowing recruiters to come to meetings, etc., but beyond presenting factual information based on personal experience, including the "other side" of anything we say, making the case either way is dangerous.

"That Others May Zoom"

rjfoxx

I think that the Cadets should offerred the choice of recruiters coming to unit meeting or not.  Senior members; especially those with prior military experience must be available to honestly answer questions about military service. Let the Cadets make up their own minds if military service is the correct route for them to follow.  My unit is a Cadet Squadron and many cadets have openly indicated their intention to enter the military; some right out of high school, others say that the will go to college first.  One of our cadets entered the AFA this fall.  She is the third from this squadron to be accepted to the AFA in the past 6 years.  Two other cadets will be applying to the Academys this year.
Major Richard J Foxx, CAP
Health Service Officer - DEWG
IG Inspector - DEWG

RiverAux

Of course we should allow recruiters to make presentations if they would like to come.  I'd say that the vast majority of cadets are interested in joining the military anyway. 

Although getting recruits is not an explicit goal of the CAP program, anyone that thinks that the AF supports it because they want to get kids interested in flying for Delta is very naive just as they would be naive to think that the AF supports AFRJOTC because it encouarges good citizenship. 

Eclipse

I think "interested" is the key word here. 

Allowing a young person to experience a taste of a paramilitary environment to find that its not for them is at least as important as encouraging them to join.

No military is better is far better on your permanent record than a dishonorable discharge.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

I think we should encourage cadets to do whatever it is they want to do, as long as it's legal. If a cadet wants to be a drug dealer or gangbanger, then we should be actively discouraging that avenue.

I've had more than a few cadets that didn't have any interest in joining. I also made it a point of telling all the cadets that there is nothing wrong with that in any way, shape, or form.

Service in the military is not the be-all, end-all of supporting our country. Being a true patriot goes just as far.

I think actively discouraging military service due to your own political views is wrong. Show them the respect of a person and let them them make up their own minds. Answer any questions they have honestly, and if you don't know, tell them you don't know. Don't slant things because you disagree with the administrations' agenda.

hatentx

It is not hidden in my SQD that I am military.  I am comming in my Army Uniform to change or I have left meetings after changing to work the night shift.  The best thing I do with the cadets I feel is to be honest.  I tell them why I chose to join and what me experiance of that has been.  Some have talked to the recruiter and then come back and ask me how much of it is BS.  While I dont think our organisastion should seek out the recruiters to come and spend time with the cadet if they come to us and ask I see no issue.  They may not be a bad person to have in your back pocket when we need help with things either.  Recruiters have a lot of pull and  will do and get things if it gives them the opportunity to get thier numbers for the month. 

For those of you that have not served then I think your view is just as important to share as well. 

Major Carrales

My standard line is that Civil Air Patrol is about developing good citizens dedicated to service.  We are not a "funnel" into the military, however, all we will help and provide opportunities to those that want to go that way.

For some, due to health or other limitations, CAP will be their form of "service" to Community, State and Nation.

Thus, my role is to provide them with the best possible CAP Cadet experience that helps develop them in the areas of leadership, moral leadership, community service, Aerospace education and promote a degree of physical fitness.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Short Field

should units allow military recruiters to make informational presentation to our cadets at a normal squadron scheduled meeting about their particular branch of the service ???

Any organization which does not allow military recruiters to make presentations should be barred from receiving federal funds.  JMHO.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Flying Pig

I would allow any respectable professional career to make a presentation to my cadets as long as it fit into the schedule on a case by case basis.  I think however that the military is a natural partner.  I encourage cadets to explore the military and what it has to offer, but I also tell parents or prospective cadets that CAP offers leadership and character building skills regardless of what career path they choose.

wuzafuzz

Quote from: Short Field on October 04, 2009, 09:24:41 PM
should units allow military recruiters to make informational presentation to our cadets at a normal squadron scheduled meeting about their particular branch of the service ???

Any organization which does not allow military recruiters to make presentations should be barred from receiving federal funds.  JMHO.
That could get sticky.  Both my sons did Army JROTC and the Army Instructors prohibit recruiters from the JROTC classroom. 

Both instructors encourage contact with recruiters through the career center.  Obviously the retired First Sergeant and Colonel are not anti-military.  Plenty of their cadets do enter the military (including my oldest son, a brand new Marine).  Both instructors insist on "recruiter debrief" conversations with their cadets.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

lordmonar

I think as the the Offical Auxilary to the USAF.......it would be kind of strange if we discouraged anyone from joing the organisation we are an axillary of!

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: Short Field on October 04, 2009, 09:24:41 PM

Good luck these days with just about any school...

"That Others May Zoom"

LtCol057

I know that in my squadron, we encourage the cadets to make their own decision.  The military isn't for everyone, and CAP isn't for everyone.  We tell them and the  parents that come to our meetings that we do NOT recruit for the military, and that membership in CAP does not require them to enter the military.  But it does give them a limited insight into if the military is a possibility for them. I think everyone should make an informed decision that works for themselves.

If a recruiter wants to come talk to the cadets, I don't have a problem with it, as long as we can work it into the schedule. But I won't say that one recruiter can, and the others can't.  If one comes, then all will be welcomed.

SarDragon

I think recruiter visits should be geared simply to offer career choices, and to neither specifically encourage nor discourage joining the military.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Major Carrales

I believe in being straight forward and honest with Cadets about as mush as possible.  One thing in particular about the military...it is as much a lifestyle choice as it is a career one.  That one will be called to defend their nation when the time comes.

The military services should not be looked at exclusively as technical training, college financial aid or any other such thing.  It is a service where on may very well have to lay down their life in defense of their nation divorced from their personal views.

Many a classmate of mine from both High School and College were determined to have Uncle Sam pay for their schooling...serve a few years in Hawaii or Germany, then simply forget.  That, however, was 1994-1996.

When 2001 and 2003 came around, the number of annoyed "Financial Aid Soildiers" complained that they were being activated for service in the deserts of Iraq and Afghanistan.  I was quick to point out to them that their choice of military service was one of service and not "free money" via ROTC or GI Bill.

We have got to instill in those in CAP as Cadets that wish military service be given the fairest, most honest and least romanticized version of what that service means. 

I will never simply "funnel" cadets into the military...not for any agendistic purpose, but because we owe those cadets the truth.  And, contrary to Jack Nicholson's quote, the can handle it.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Airrace

I think we should provide the information but let them decide. No encouragement!

flyguy06

I absolutely encourage my cadets to go into military service.........but, I encourage them to go to college if they can and become officers. SOmeof my cadets will not go to college but I still encourage them to pursue what ever careers they have an interets in. I do push the military and I push aviation.

DC

I would certainly support any cadet that made an informed decision to join the military, but I don't think military service, or any other career field for that matter, should be actively encouraged or discouraged in CAP.

Short Field

If a high school kid had a plan for their future, then by all means support it.  However, I have seen far too many that didn't have a plan and four years after high school, they are scraping by going from one low-level job to another.  There is a lot to gain by serving a tour in the military.  It provides a "safe" and structured environment to mature and determine what you want to do with your life - and provides you the tools to achieve it.

Yea, there is a war going on but graveyards are full of 18-24 year olds who never went in the military.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640