Main Menu

USPHS Auxiliary

Started by sandman, November 16, 2007, 08:32:55 AM

floridacyclist

You can read some on our team at http://www.floridaonedmat.com

I just received my formal job offer as a GS9 making about $35K/yr. Of course that is pro-rated down to whatever time we are activated, but we do get overtime for more than 40 hrs/wk and on a 2-week deployment that can add up at 12 hrs/day, 7 days/wk.

On top of that, as a state employee we come under a FL law that gives personnel covered by USERRA full pay for the first 30 days of a deployment. While none of us joined DMAT for the pay (I actually met them while deployed to New Orleans as a volunteer), I'm not stupid enough to turn the money down either.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

Dragoon

I really like the OSD proposal - more real work  More funding.

Sure, it comes with more oversight, less "pretend military" stuff, less flying club mentality. 

But it's REAL.  Real service to our country.  What could be better?

Let's hope the new CAP leadership continues to pursue this idea.  Get a Congressman or two behind it, and we've got a winner!

tribalelder

In an earlier life, I worked for US EPA.  A small number of my co-workers were PHS officers detailed to EPA.  Most were engineers with backgrounds in water or waste treatment.  For a while, I was teamed w/an O-5 who made more than my boss's boss, after the assorted allowances.  The only time I saw him in Uniform was when he was headed to a DoD facility for medical care -- he said the base hospital wasn't sure what PHS was, but they knew what those gold stripes were.
WE ARE HERE ON CAPTALK BECAUSE WE ALL CARE ABOUT THE PROGRAM. We may not always agree and we should not always agree.  One of our strengths as an organization is that we didn't all go to the same school, so we all know how to do something different and differently. 
Since we all care about CAP, its members and our missions, sometimes our discussions will be animated, but they should always civil -- after all, it's in our name.

jimmydeanno

Sandman,

Perhaps you have more information about this.  The basic requirements list "medically qualified."  Are these requirements the same as for regular service in the armed forces? 

For example, would someone, like myself, who has had a spine fusion be eligible?

I can't seem to be able to find actual "Medical requirements" anywhere.

I appreciate the info...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

sandman

Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 21, 2007, 02:55:22 PM
Sandman,

Perhaps you have more information about this.  The basic requirements list "medically qualified."  Are these requirements the same as for regular service in the armed forces? 

For example, would someone, like myself, who has had a spine fusion be eligible?

I can't seem to be able to find actual "Medical requirements" anywhere.

I appreciate the info...

jimmydeanno,
An applicant will need to meet the same basic medical requirements for the Commissioned Corps as those applying for a commission with the US Navy.
However there are medical waivers available and I would imagine it would depend on the extend of your surgery and which vertebrae were fused.
If you interested in signing up, PM me with you information, licenses, credentials (mini CV if you will) and describe your surgery with any limitations. I'll talk to my people at OCCO and get a reading on you eligibility!

v/r
LT
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

ZigZag911

The OSD proposal sounds very much like restoring CAP to something like its World War II status....an updated version, of course.

More missions, more money, more resources, more opportunities to serve....this sounds like an 'everybody wins' scenario!

Let's hope General Courter re-visits this subject with the OSD & CAP national leafership.

JCW0312

Quote from: ZigZag911 on November 22, 2007, 04:11:53 AM
The OSD proposal sounds very much like restoring CAP to something like its World War II status....an updated version, of course.

More missions, more money, more resources, more opportunities to serve....this sounds like an 'everybody wins' scenario!

Let's hope General Courter re-visits this subject with the OSD & CAP national leafership.

I agree 110%! Couldn't have said it better myself.
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
Memphis Belle Memorial Squadron
SER-TN-144

JCW0312

Quote from: wingnut on November 21, 2007, 06:27:41 AM
And the Guys who think we should be doing paramedic work in the field, grow up

Most of the medic talk here was dealing with the USPHS topic. I believe most of us with an EMS background plan on doing no more than the absolute life saving neccessities in the field while in our CAP uniforms.
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
Memphis Belle Memorial Squadron
SER-TN-144