Main Menu

Florida Wing CC Dismissed

Started by RAZOR, September 30, 2007, 01:58:47 AM

Capt.karl

Hmmm... TP+Florida Wing+Higher Ups Pressure= Suspision

MIKE

Quote from: CapnSuper on September 30, 2007, 06:09:32 PM
OK I admit this is a sidebar -- but can't figure out what the term "CC" stands for.  I can't find an acronym in CAP that coincides with the letters "CC", however I'm new and have no military experience

So is it some generally accepted reference to a military term like "Company Commander" or ... like me, "Completely Clueless"

Functional Address Symbol (FAS) for Commander.  See CAPR 10-1 Attachments 5 and 6.
Mike Johnston

Skyray

Quote from: Capt.karl on September 30, 2007, 06:15:09 PM
Hmmm... TP+Florida Wing+Higher Ups Pressure=  Suspision

It certainly has all the earmarks of a TP hatchet job, except that my background information is that he was part of Tony's Team.  Bowling is still up there.  You don't suppose there could be a high level falling out, do you?
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

jeders

OK I admit this is a sidebar -- but can't figure out what the term "CC" stands for.  I can't find an acronym in CAP that coincides with the letters "CC", however I'm new and have no military experience

So is it some generally accepted reference to a military term like "Company Commander" or ... like me, "Completely Clueless"

???  ???

Thanks in advance

CC is used to denote Commander
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

lordmonar

Quote from: RiverAux on September 30, 2007, 04:33:59 PM
If we assume that what O'Key said was true, I think that email makes both of them look like people who just don't get it.  Even if Rushing was getting pressured to relieve O'Key, it was still Rushing's decision.  He shouldn't have more or less said, "hey I like you, but my boss is telling me to let you go".  Rushing should have either refused to relieve him and took whatever "punishment" he might get, or should have relieved him and not tried to make excuses about it. 

And, for O'Key, he shouldn't have been passing along this sort of information in a vain attempt to make it look like he was just some sort of fall guy. 

I've got to disagree here.  Sometimes you got to pick your battles.  Assuming that Rushing was having a conversation with National about O'key.....maybe, just maybe, national had a valid reason to direct Rushing to fire O'key.  Happens all the time.  Even on active duty.  The higher ups decide to take a different course of action than the front line supervisor would take....but it's the front line supervisors job to take the action.   It's called shut and color.  Sure Rushing could have decided to fight the good fight....but then he has to ask himself if O'key is worth putting his birds on the line.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RiverAux

You misunderstood my objection.  Whether the idea to fire Okey was Rushing's idea or whether it was forced on him, it is just bad leadership to pass the blame up the chain of command on the part of Rushing and it was bad leadership for Okey to pass that sort of information down the chain of command. 

If an AF Wing Commander had sent out that sort of message to his troops after being relieved of command he probably would be on his way out of the AF very soon thereafter.

JohnKachenmeister

???  ???

Thanks in advance

Component Commander, but I like yours better :D
Another former CAP officer

flyerthom

Quote from: Stonewall on September 30, 2007, 01:23:42 PM
Maybe I'll apply for the job... :-*

What's the FL statue providing for involuntary psychiatric commitment? You understand this for your own good?
TC

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: flyerthom on September 30, 2007, 11:29:08 PM
Quote from: Stonewall on September 30, 2007, 01:23:42 PM
Maybe I'll apply for the job... :-*

What's the FL statue providing for involuntary psychiatric commitment? You understand this for your own good?

Chapter 394 of Florida Statutes, but it's popularly known as the 'Baker Act'. In Texas, a similar law allowing for a law enforcement officer to detain someone who is mentally imbalanced/emotionally disturbed is known by the acronym APOWW (Apprehension by a Peace Officer Without A Warrant).
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Stonewall

I've Baker Acted my share of folks here in FL. 
Serving since 1987.

flyguy06

Quote from: RAZOR on September 30, 2007, 01:58:47 AM
FLWG CC, Pat O'Key, gets canned by SER Commander James Rushing!

Pat O'Key has been FIRED from his position as the Florida Wing Commander!

ACTUAL EMAIL SENT OUT BY O'Key:

Sent: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 6:05 pm
Subject: Future of the Florida Wing

All,

I have enjoyed working with all of you. We have done some great things with the wing. My 1 year probation period was due to end on Monday, 01 October. Unfortunately, I received a phone call from Jim Rushing about 5:30 pm today informing me that he was not going to make my command permanent on my 1 year date. He would not give me any reason why except that he was being pressured from high ranking CAP members that they did not want me to stay. So, effective immediately, I am no longer the commander of the Florida Wing. I have been told that Col Rushing will be announcing Al Bedgood as an interim commander and will most likely be accepting applications for a permanent replacement.

I wish you all the best and hope that you continue to do the great things that you do.

Pat O'Key

This is why the internet is not always a good thing. Why would you post something sensative concerning FLWG on a website where everyone can read it. The FLWG CC has no bearing on someone from NVWG yet you put your business out there for the world to see. I just dont get it

Stonewall

Because it's public knowledge and most likely of interest to folks in and outside of FLWG.  Not everything posted on CAP Talk is of interest to me.  Guess what I do?  I ignore it.

Serving since 1987.

flyguy06

So do I, but I am just making a point. I wouldnt want my personal business (especially if I had gotten fired) to be out there for everyone to read. This is a volunteer organization. These people dont get paid. Its not like they are some high positioned executive. They are volunteers. i think people fprget that sometimes.

RiverAux

The guy sent it to everyone in Florida Wing.  Frankly, his decision to send out an email to his command that deliberately makes his superior look bad tells me all that I need to know about whether or not he should have been in that job in the first place.  Almost as telling as TP's post-suspension email. 

Stonewall

Quote from: flyguy06 on October 01, 2007, 01:33:16 AM
So do I, but I am just making a point. I wouldnt want my personal business (especially if I had gotten fired) to be out there for everyone to read. This is a volunteer organization. These people dont get paid. Its not like they are some high positioned executive. They are volunteers. i think people fprget that sometimes.

Quote from: RiverAux on October 01, 2007, 01:44:48 AM
The guy sent it to everyone in Florida Wing.  Frankly, his decision to send out an email to his command that deliberately makes his superior look bad tells me all that I need to know about whether or not he should have been in that job in the first place.  Almost as telling as TP's post-suspension email. 

What he said.

Anyone who doesn't realize that email is not a secure means of communicating shouldn't hold a position of authority.  However, I don't think the originator (FLWG/CC) had that in mind as he did send it to the wing as an "open email".  Nothing preceded the information like "PLEASE DO NOT TELL ANYONE" or "FOR YOUR EYES ONLY".  Even with thos "tags", nothing is sacred, even if he wanted it to be.  Obviously it wasn't meant to be a secret.
Serving since 1987.

flyguy06

The guy sent it to everyone in Florida Wing. 

The Florida Wing. Ever heard of keeping things in the "Family" (The Florida family)

lordmonar

Quote from: flyguy06 on October 01, 2007, 02:14:15 AM
The guy sent it to everyone in Florida Wing. 

The Florida Wing. Ever heard of keeping things in the "Family" (The Florida family)

He made a public announcment....if he wanted to keep it in the family then he should not had sent it at all.

You cannot selectively announce something like this via a mass e-mail.  Heck we can't keep things that should be confidential (like IG interviews) off the net.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Maj Ballard

Actually, he didn't send it to the whole wing. He must have sent it to a select group of people. I am on every email list in the Wing known to man, and yet I heard from CAPtalk. My commander heard from me. He has not yet heard from any "official" channels. As far as I know, there has not been an announcement to the entire Wing as of yet.

They did, however, quickly change the picture/bio on the FLWG website.
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

Stonewall

Quote from: Capt Ballard on October 01, 2007, 02:39:24 AM

So much for all the he said - she said.  It's a done deal.  New wing commander appointed, I'd say that involves family outside of Florida.
Serving since 1987.

Skyray

Quote from: Stonewall on October 01, 2007, 02:48:08 AM
Quote from: Capt Ballard on October 01, 2007, 02:39:24 AM

So much for all the he said - she said.  It's a done deal.  New wing commander appointed, I'd say that involves family outside of Florida.

New Wing Commander, or Interim Wing Commander.  If it is New, who is it?
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member