Main Menu

CAP License Plates

Started by Private Investigator, May 28, 2013, 04:58:00 AM

SAREXinNY

I have to admit, I'm a tad annoyed that here in NY they consider Coast Guard Aux. to be "military".  The cost of a Coast Guard plate is initially $47.50 and renewals are $18.75.
http://www.dmv.ny.gov/military.htm

In comparison, CAP plates are "Emergency Services" and therefore cost more: $60.00 initial fee and $31.25 for renewals.
http://www.dmv.ny.gov/emerg.htm

Eclipse

I've seen some states that have CAP as "military", some as "ES" some as "specialty", etc., etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

N7MOG

South Dakota has vanity plates you can buy as well. Our corporate plates just say CAP (and a two digit numeric), where the vanity has the old round emblem on the left with the state assigned number following that to the right.
Bill Collister
SDWG DC
Cadet in 1968-1973 (Mitchell Award)
Collecter of knowledge since then, finding out my parents got real smart about the time I turned 18....
Improvise, Adapt and Overcome - Semper Fidelis

The original content of this post is Copyright (c) 2014 by William Collister.  The right to reproduce the content of this post within CAP-Talk only for the purposes of providing a quoted reply, by CAP-Talk users only, is specifically granted. All other rights, including "Fair Use," are specifically reserved.

Luis R. Ramos

Although New York state charges CAP plates as "military," NYC separates CAP plates from military. It classifies these plates as "vanity" (code SRF) but others charged by the state as "military" do have their own category for NYC such as "Air National Guard" (code ANG) and so on... At least when you get tickets...

Relax... only parking tickets... :angel:

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Paul Creed III

Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

MacGruff

My understanding is that PA has them available. You can get them via the Wing too...

SARDOC

Quote from: Eclipse on May 28, 2013, 08:00:48 PM
My wing took a shot at getting them, unfortunely my state requires you to get commitments for selling at least 'x' number of plates.

There were plenty of members who thought it was a good idea, but getting CAP people to commit $$$ to something temporarily intangible is
like kryptonite to Superman.  So the process took way too long and apparently the legislative unit moved on to something shiner.

My state has a similar policy.  They've had CAP plates for years.  It's even written into the State Code that the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles SHALL provide a Civil Air Patrol Plate, however, due to low enrollment the state no longer produces the plate.  If you have one you can keep it, but they aren't making anymore.

Fubar

Quote from: GroundHawg on May 29, 2013, 10:54:10 PMI wont show you due to the atomic/nuclear level flaming I would receive.

This sounds like a fun story to me...

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: SJFedor on May 29, 2013, 05:17:31 AM
Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on May 29, 2013, 02:43:55 AM
It doesn't look nearly as nice as it does in this pic.  Got a bit bashed when I totaled my truck.

Also, http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=2801.0

Are you gonna get a SARMAN one now?

Nah, doesn't have the same ring to it. Besides, I'm just a big kid anyways.   :)

PHall

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on June 03, 2013, 05:08:55 AM
Quote from: SJFedor on May 29, 2013, 05:17:31 AM
Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on May 29, 2013, 02:43:55 AM
It doesn't look nearly as nice as it does in this pic.  Got a bit bashed when I totaled my truck.

Also, http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=2801.0

Are you gonna get a SARMAN one now?

Nah, doesn't have the same ring to it. Besides, I'm just a big kid anyways.   :)

How about SARDUDE? That's got a ring to it!

♠SARKID♠

Nice, but I'm limited to six characters on the plates :)  I'll stick with KID - it's what I am, and I'd have to change WAY too many logins/screenames.

NorCal21

Florida doesn't have any. Heck, this state barely even has veteran plates.

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: NorCal21 on June 07, 2013, 08:54:40 PM
Suggest you take a look here, http://www.flhsmv.gov/html/tagbrochure.pdf (over 2MB in size fyi).  There are plates for each service (including CG) plus paratroopers, in addition to "Salute Veterans" and "Support Our Troops".  There is also a Disabled Vet plate.  I'm not even going to list out the special category for military services that are listed on page 9.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

NorCal21

Quote from: Tim Medeiros on June 07, 2013, 09:24:15 PM
Suggest you take a look here, http://www.flhsmv.gov/html/tagbrochure.pdf (over 2MB in size fyi).  There are plates for each service (including CG) plus paratroopers, in addition to "Salute Veterans" and "Support Our Troops".  There is also a Disabled Vet plate.  I'm not even going to list out the special category for military services that are listed on page 9.

A plate for each service is not a veteran's plate. Those five plates are available to anyone.

There are some military plates for POW or some medals, but no plate for WWI or Desert Storm veteran's such as myself. Florida only recently created the Korea, Vietnam and Enduring Freedom plates.

As I said, there are barely any veteran plates. I'm used to states like CA, HI, AZ, CO that all have a plate for someone if they served honorably. Not Florida. If you didn't serve in one of the Florida legislature's approved wars you're service isn't deserving of a plate.

Even active duty personnel who are Florida residents don't get a license plate unless they were deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan. That's just odd. Florida is a state with some of the most plate designs and yet the military plate system is a hodgepodge afterthought at best.

MSG Mac

Quote from: NorCal21 on June 08, 2013, 05:10:55 AM

A plate for each service is not a veteran's plate. Those five plates are available to anyone.

There are some military plates for POW or some medals, but no plate for WWI or Desert Storm veteran's such as myself. Florida only recently created the Korea, Vietnam and Enduring Freedom plates.

As I said, there are barely any veteran plates. I'm used to states like CA, HI, AZ, CO that all have a plate for someone if they served honorably. Not Florida. If you didn't serve in one of the Florida legislature's approved wars you're service isn't deserving of a plate.

They don't have WWI because the last veteran died several years ago.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

NorCal21

Quote from: MSG Mac on June 08, 2013, 05:14:01 AM

They don't have WWI because the last veteran died several years ago.

GA has them. Doesn't matter either way. I see it as a slight by the Florida legislature against Desert Storm veterans. Look, I understand that no state is required to have military plates but those that do tend to have a pretty good grasp. Either they have one single design for all active, reserve, guard, retired or honorably discharged or they have one for each branch. In GA they have one for each branch, but only for those who served during wartime periods. I disagree with that caveat, but at least they apply it uniformly. Florida's military plate system is typical of the legislature which tends to enact laws in any category in the state based on the lobbyists desires and/or the personal whims of FL politicians. That last idea there is well documented in the FL media.

I just think there needs to be a change to recognize FL veterans. This state has a great history of veterans to the country. I would like to see plates for CAP and the CGAUX but we've got to fix the regular veteran plates first!

I mean FL has a paratrooper plate. Why? There aren't any paratrooper units here so it can be home state pride. There's no training here for that, and no large group of paratrooper veterans here. The most likely reason is that someone along the way had a special interest for a plate to support a random group of military personnel. I don't have a problem with the plate per se, it just seems that there's very little thought in the plates here.

RRLE

QuoteI just think there needs to be a change to recognize FL veterans. This state has a great history of veterans to the country. I would like to see plates for CAP and the CGAUX but we've got to fix the regular veteran plates first!

Then some veterans group has to get off it duff and get'er done! Very few FL plates are mandated by the legislature. Most of them exist because some group did the leg work and fronted the money to get the plate. It isn't magic - just work.

QuoteI mean FL has a paratrooper plate. Why? ... The most likely reason is that someone along the way had a special interest for a plate to support a random group of military personnel.

I see you answered your own question. Someone did the leg work to get'er done.

QuoteI don't have a problem with the plate per se, it just seems that there's very little thought in the plates here.

The "thought" that goes into FL plates is the simple idea that a group wants a plate and gets it done. If vets want a plate, they certainly have the numbers to do it. It appears no one wants to invest the time to do it and wants the state to do it for them.

I did go thru the FL specialty plates. There are three specific veteran plates: Disabled Vet, Paralyzed Vet and Vietnam War Vet. They got it done. Then there is the Pearl Harbor Survivor plate that would have to go to a veteran. The Ex-POW plate would also most likely go to a veteran. I know several veterans who have the FL Purple Heart plate although a Reservist or Active Duty would also be eligible for that one.

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: NorCal21 on June 08, 2013, 05:10:55 AM

Even active duty personnel who are Florida residents don't get a license plate unless they were deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan. That's just odd. Florida is a state with some of the most plate designs and yet the military plate system is a hodgepodge afterthought at best.
And here is the way this can be resolved, http://www.flhsmv.gov/specialtytags/SLP.html#15  It'll take some legwork, but would be a benefit.  In the mean time, you can always use the Salute Our Troops plate.  Also, I would like to point out that the National Guard does have a plate for use, so those personnel are covered.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

cap235629

Just renewed my Arkansas CAP tag.  $3.75

Same cost as my Veteran plate renewal
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

NorCal21

Quote from: Tim Medeiros on June 08, 2013, 07:29:33 PM

And here is the way this can be resolved, http://www.flhsmv.gov/specialtytags/SLP.html#15  It'll take some legwork, but would be a benefit.  In the mean time, you can always use the Salute Our Troops plate.  Also, I would like to point out that the National Guard does have a plate for use, so those personnel are covered.

Thanks for the link. I'll look into it. No, I don't like the Salute Our Troops Plate. If I'm going with a plate about the military I'd get the USMC plate since I'm a Marine. I won't though as anyone can have it so it means nothing to me to have it.

I found a better plate anyway... love the colors, and as a surfer, it fits me! Plus, it looks great on my brown VW!