Main Menu

CAP License Plates

Started by Private Investigator, May 28, 2013, 04:58:00 AM

Eclipse

Ignore COWG article already posted.

"That Others May Zoom"

GroundHawg

Quote from: RRLE on June 08, 2013, 12:21:47 PM

QuoteI mean FL has a paratrooper plate. Why? ... The most likely reason is that someone along the way had a special interest for a plate to support a random group of military personnel

I see you answered your own question. Someone did the leg work to get'er done.

There is no way that any Paratrooper Plates were done by someone doing Leg work....  ;D

Cliff_Chambliss

Alabama seems to be doing OK in the tag department.  There are speciality tags for each of the active duty services, veteran's tags for major conflicts and notable operations within a conflict (Pearl Harbor Survivor, Battle of the Bulge, Nuclear Testing Survivor, etc).  There is one Retired Military Design but it has a mylar stick on for the branch of service.  Looking at the Alabama Approved tag list last week, I noticed where there is a state approved Civil Air Patrol tag but have never seen one.
I think I read something where there is an additional $75.00 charge for any non-military speciality plate and 1/2 of that charge is sent to the organization.  If this is in fact true, this is an opportunity to engage in a bt of fund raising and enhancing CAP visibility at the same time.

On the other hand, here are so many specialty plates out now who even pays attention anymore?
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

BHartman007

Quote from: dogden on May 29, 2013, 07:44:50 PM
Texas has them,

And a $0 fee to boot ;D $40 if you want to personalize.
I was thinking IFLYCAP, until I read 6 characters only. FLYCAP? Hmm...

Wing Assistant Director of Administration
Squadron Deputy Commander for Cadets

a2capt

What groundwork was needed in states that have these?

California seems to have a plethora of special interest plates, and it seems there have to be 7,500 applications before they'll do them. I can't see there being that many registrations considering there's only about a third of that in members, in the state.

NorCal21

Quote from: a2capt on June 13, 2013, 01:23:40 AM
What groundwork was needed in states that have these?

California seems to have a plethora of special interest plates, and it seems there have to be 7,500 applications before they'll do them. I can't see there being that many registrations considering there's only about a third of that in members, in the state.

You know, I actually think of all the states I've lived in that California has the fewest speciality plates.

With that being said there is a caveat. California, like Hawaii (and starting in 2014 Arizona as well) has a standard issue license plate but with the letters and numbers moved to the right so that a decal can be placed on the plate for your organization. Saves the state a buttload of money in not having to produce 70 different plates when they can produce one speciality design and 70 decals to place on it.

As a Florida resident I'd have to say that this state probably has the most plate designs off all 50 states. And thank God that Florida is going to a new standard issue plate next year. Looks so much better than the current plate which looks dumb and is too cluttered.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Cliff_Chambliss on June 12, 2013, 02:04:57 PM
Alabama seems to be doing OK in the tag department.  There are speciality tags for each of the active duty services, veteran's tags for major conflicts and notable operations within a conflict (Pearl Harbor Survivor, Battle of the Bulge, Nuclear Testing Survivor, etc).  There is one Retired Military Design but it has a mylar stick on for the branch of service.  Looking at the Alabama Approved tag list last week, I noticed where there is a state approved Civil Air Patrol tag but have never seen one.
I think I read something where there is an additional $75.00 charge for any non-military speciality plate and 1/2 of that charge is sent to the organization.  If this is in fact true, this is an opportunity to engage in a bt of fund raising and enhancing CAP visibility at the same time.

On the other hand, here are so many specialty plates out now who even pays attention anymore?

I've got an Alabama amateur radio license plate; apparently they also include CAP radio operators in the application as well.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

stillamarine

Alabama is strict on who gets some specialty tags. I forgot my FOP card one year went I went to renew, in uniform. She told me I couldn't renew my FOP plate without it. She also told me for military plates you needed proof.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Critical AOA

Texas has them,

That has the cleanest and sharpest look of all of them
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

NorCal21

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on June 14, 2013, 08:50:52 PM
Texas has them,

That has the cleanest and sharpest look of all of them

I agree. I think many of Texas' plates look really nice. My only issue I've ever had with Texas plates has been offering them with a college from another state. Nothing the State of Texas publicly supporting Oklahoma Sooners on their license plate. I mentioned it one time to a friend who's a Florida legislator and he said it would never happen in Florida. You'd have to shoot 'em first haha... but I know a few other states do that. Georgia is one. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Devil Doc

Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

a2capt

You could have just posted this:
http://www.plateshack.com/y2k/North_Carolina/nc2002cap.jpg

..instead of that huge wad of text that makes the browser window wider.

NorCal21

Quote from: Devil Doc on June 15, 2013, 11:08:55 PM

This is NC PLATE, they do not show it on the NC DMV website. NC just got Iraq Veteran, Desert Storm Veteran and Afghanistan Veteran plates.

I've always liked the basic, background image on the NC plates. That was my first license plate when I bought my first car after getting to Camp Johnson in NC. Good memories!

Devil Doc

Quote from: a2capt on June 16, 2013, 03:26:36 AM
You could have just posted this:
http://www.plateshack.com/y2k/North_Carolina/nc2002cap.jpg

..instead of that huge wad of text that makes the browser window wider.

Thanks, LOL.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Devil Doc

Quote from: NorCal21 on June 16, 2013, 07:41:33 AM
Quote from: Devil Doc on June 15, 2013, 11:08:55 PM

This is NC PLATE, they do not show it on the NC DMV website. NC just got Iraq Veteran, Desert Storm Veteran and Afghanistan Veteran plates.

I've always liked the basic, background image on the NC plates. That was my first license plate when I bought my first car after getting to Camp Johnson in NC. Good memories!

Camp Johnson Eh, you bringing back some old times for me. :)
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

NorCal21

Quote from: Devil Doc on June 16, 2013, 08:45:43 PM

Camp Johnson Eh, you bringing back some old times for me. :)

Yep. Heck I remember when PI and Johnson all seemed huge and beyond belief. I made a trip back to PI a few years ago when living down the road. Man that is a small base! But memories nonetheless. I need to get back up to Jville sometime again.

I remember asking out the girl who always waited on me at the Sonic right outside Johnson's front gate. I went out with her, and was thinking her last name seemed familiar. I mentioned it and said I had a 1stSgt with that last name. She said it was her father. Ha... last date for me!

Devil Doc

I never messed with any girls in J-Ville. 29 Palms, Pendelton, or any of the above for 3 reasons. Every Marine has either dated them, had babies with them, or was related to someone, lol
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Garibaldi

I've heard horrible stories about the women who hang out waiting for a man in uniform. They don't call Leesville, LA Sleazeville or Diseaseville for nothing.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Private Investigator

Quote from: Devil Doc on June 23, 2013, 06:10:16 PM
I never messed with any girls in J-Ville. 29 Palms, Pendelton, or any of the above for 3 reasons. Every Marine has either dated them, had babies with them, or was related to someone, lol

Nothing wrong with that. I know a Marine who had the same reasons and went home on leave and brought back his bride from his hometown, his cousin. So how in the grand scheme of things did that make sense?  ???

Private Investigator

Quote from: NorCal21 on June 23, 2013, 04:54:55 AM
I remember asking out the girl who always waited on me at the Sonic right outside Johnson's front gate. I went out with her, and was thinking her last name seemed familiar. I mentioned it and said I had a 1stSgt with that last name. She said it was her father. Ha... last date for me!

Usually that got me dates. Most Staff NCOs like me.  8)