Main Menu

CAP License Plates

Started by Private Investigator, May 28, 2013, 04:58:00 AM

Private Investigator

Well I am outside an AFB and I pull up behind a motorcycle and my "police fu" kicks in. Interesting license plate, I recognize it is Missouri and that logo looks familiar. Under the plate numbers and letters it reads "Civil Air Patrol". How cool is that from ya all from the 'Show Me' state.   :clap:

My state has all kinds of license plates but not a CAP plate. That would be great advertising.

lordmonar

Nevada has CAP plates....and a portion of the proceeds go to CAP IIRC.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Rick-DEL

Delaware just introduced CAP plates this year.

Luis R. Ramos

New York state does have CAP license plates. You cannot request a specific number but have to accept whatever one the Division of Motor Vehicles gives you.  :P

I bought a new car in, well, a certain year. Then I got my CAP NY plates. When I got them it was with a high number that I did not like.  >:( A few days later I realized the number was the same model year of my car! I liked my number since then...  :)

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

MSG Mac

I and a few others in my Squadron have Maryland CAP Plates. $25 with a portion going to the Wing. 
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

MHC5096

I used to have New York CAP plate # 25.  :)
Mark H. Crary
Lt Col, CAP (1990-Present)
DDC-P, CGAUX (2011-Present)
MSgt, USAF (1995-2011)
QM2, USN (1989-1995)

wuzafuzz

CAP plates will be available very soon in Colorado.

http://www.ourcoloradonews.com/centennial/news/aviation-laws-take-flight-in-centennial/article_b42e6eaa-bd8f-11e2-be10-001a4bcf887a.html

I thought of getting a plate with my CAP call sign on it.  But "Blue Mesa #" is too long, and the abbreviation "BM" isn't appealing.   :o
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Eclipse

My wing took a shot at getting them, unfortunely my state requires you to get commitments for selling at least 'x' number of plates.

There were plenty of members who thought it was a good idea, but getting CAP people to commit $$$ to something temporarily intangible is
like kryptonite to Superman.  So the process took way too long and apparently the legislative unit moved on to something shiner.

"That Others May Zoom"

Huey Driver

With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Garibaldi

Arkansas does. I never got around to getting one when I was there. I don't know if Georgia has one or not. Haven't looked.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

SJFedor

Tennessee has "Emergency" plates that are available to LE/EMS/FD and CAP.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

♠SARKID♠

It doesn't look nearly as nice as it does in this pic.  Got a bit bashed when I totaled my truck.

Also, http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=2801.0

SJFedor

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on May 29, 2013, 02:43:55 AM
It doesn't look nearly as nice as it does in this pic.  Got a bit bashed when I totaled my truck.

Also, http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=2801.0

Are you gonna get a SARMAN one now?

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Private Investigator

That is so excellent. Thanks for sharing everybody   :clap:

Shotgun

Mississippi has a custom CAP license plate.

There is an extra fee (of course) and a portion goes to the wing.

Usually you need to have a minimum of 200 orders for the state to issue a custom plate.
However, the MSWG Legislative squadron was able to get that requirement waived.

They are issued in numerical order. The first 10 or so plates were reserved.
Numbers 1 through 3 were assigned to CAP vehicles (The Commander's vehicles, etc.)
4-10 were made available to CAP members through an auction as mini-fundraiser.

All of the CAP vehicles in the Wing have the special plates.

Any person in the state can request one whether they are in CAP or not.

Here's the mine:

It was a sad day when I had to replace it.

Eeyore

skymaster

Quote from: Garibaldi on May 29, 2013, 02:08:59 AM
Arkansas does. I never got around to getting one when I was there. I don't know if Georgia has one or not. Haven't looked.

Georgia Wing members have expressed an interest in the State of Georgia issuing CAP-themed licence plates for CAP members for about the last 30 years or so, but there are a couple of very good reasons NOT to. First off, the State of Georgia requires an initial order of about 500 plates to even consider creating a special plate for CAP members. Also, due to the State of Georgia's desires to operate on a balanced budget, special organisational plates cost each individual around $50.00 per year per vehicle, due with the yearly registration fees. Also, in order to guarantee 500 plates for the initial run, the state would have to register all CAP official vehicles as well, meaning the money for those plates would have to be pulled from somewhere else. Right now, as it stands, the State of Georgia provides free Georgia State Government licence plates for all CAP-owned vehicles in the state. FREE/no tax/Government plates vs. $50 per vehicle per year plus having to pay tax like all the other organisational plates is really no contest.

RiverAux

While I think that there are some public affairs benefits to having CAP license plates, I'm not sure it is worth the trouble.  There are so darn many "special" license plates these days I'm not sure that anyone really looks at any of them. 

I've had one for over a decade and the number of conversations that it started could be counted on one hand.

Am I against them?  No, but I there are much better things that we could be doing with the limited time we have available to lobby state legislators and officials about CAP issues.

dogden

David C Ogden, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing, Group IV Commander
GRW#3325

GroundHawg

Kentucky has them and I have a personalized CAP tag on one of my vehicles. I wont show you due to the atomic/nuclear level flaming I would receive. But they are good looking tags.