Main Menu

Guess I'm too old...

Started by Rick-DEL, January 28, 2013, 07:12:48 PM

ProdigalJim

Quote from: Stonewall on January 30, 2013, 03:00:32 AM
I miss the hell out of DC.

Knowing what I know of you here, my guess is Fairfax misses the hell out of you.

Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

Devil Doc

I dont think i would Miss D.C. Too Many People. I would like to live round Richmond Though, or just stay where i am.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

ProdigalJim

I got trapped here in the DC area 25 years ago for work, and still feel like I'm only here temporarily. I grew up near some of the best salmon fishing in the lower 48, and if I had my druthers that's where I'd be right now.

I miss salmon, snowmobiles, snow and Canadian beer...  :(
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

Treadhead

I don't know if anyone's mentioned it-- but if you live in a state that has an active State Defense Force (SDF) , that might be the best way to go.

In CA, the California State Military Reserve (CSMR) is as close to being in the military as you can get when age precludes you from membership in the federal armed forces.  We're considered military, but under the governor as opposed to the president.  We have both an Army as well as an Air Force component.  And the only way I can't tell the federal military folks from their state counterparts is by looking at the patches on the uniforms.

SDF's are recognized by congress under article 32.
Walter F. Lott
1st Lt (CAP) ret
LTC, USAR (ret)
Lt Col, California State Military Reserve
Former member of Mather Cadet Sq. 14 and McClellan Cadet Sq. 12

flyboy53

Quote from: Rick-DEL on January 28, 2013, 07:12:48 PM
So, I started tossing the idea around about re-entering the service in a Guard/Reserve capacity. But I do know at my tender age of 45 (46 in March) that I exceed the limits for maximum allowable age. I believe the real only potential shot I had would have been through a program offered by the Coast Guard for a Direct Commission into the USCG Reserves. After spending about 10-15 minutes on the phone talking with a PO at the other end - reality has set in and I must face the fear of getting old.

It's too bad, because I can certainly achieve things I put my mind to, so I know the 2 week indoctrination in CT would be fathomable both mentally and physically, as I am in decent shape (carryover from my AD days).

With this post, I shall post two questions.

• Should the reserve arms of our military branches offer special (and limited) waivers for those that meet pretty strict guidelines if only a year or so over the waiver allotment? USCG is 40, and even with my AD/ANG time minused from my age, I fall short.
  • Does anybody know of ANY other offerings from the other branches that I may not have come across? My hurdle is that I would be challenged to attend a 12 week OCS (due to full time job). USCGR was a whole whopping 2 weeks.

If none exist, I'll purchase my cane this weekend and proceed with life  ;)

I realize theere are several answers in the string above, but having been a reserve recruiter for a number of years, your options aren't exhausted if you have prior service  and guard time.

Certainly returning to the regular military may be out, but I would check the guard and reserve units to see what exists and go from there. If you goal is to just return to active duty, the regular side is out, but the reserve side offers things like USC Title 10 tours which may be mostly recruiting duty or assignments at command level. These are all application processes and you may not qualify for them. For the guard, those are Title 32 tours. Some units are still actively deploying overseas for extended periods of time.

If it's just to return to a reserve or guard unit to get the remaining 15 years in, you need to check to see what other assignments are out there. There are different categories of participation such as CAP-RAP, FEMA or Individual Mobilization Augmentees (IMA)s and you may find a slot that allows for promotion to higher grades.

I would way your options. If the assignment calls for a reduction in rank, remember that once you're back in the pipeline, you start searching for those positions that allow for a return to your rank or higher. Otherwise, you retire at the highest rank held.

One other thing, before you do this, talk it over with your family to get their support because the time committment may be a problem.

Rick-DEL

Thanks for the info flyboy1. I appreciate it. I have some research to do.

Threadhead, I was looking at that yesterday actually and talked to a fellow CAP member who was in the MDDF a while back. I live in DE and we do not have one, but PA and MD do. Problem is that both are on CAP squadron meeting nights and would be about 160 mile round trip.

I'll have to weigh out some options, look at time requirements, and so forth. If I do this (one of them) it won't be a half-level committment. I saw that with some folks in the ANG back in the day, and I wouldn't want to be like that. I am very active in CAP.

Another thing I looked at yesterday and put a feeler out (in addition to a previous PM to a CT'er) there was the CGAux. I know quite afew people in CT are in both CAP and CGAux. I would be looking for an active unit in my area. If anybody is in both and can share what a typical "tour" is, please let me know.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Rick-DEL on January 31, 2013, 12:58:18 PM
Another thing I looked at yesterday and put a feeler out (in addition to a previous PM to a CT'er) there was the CGAux. I know quite afew people in CT are in both CAP and CGAux. I would be looking for an active unit in my area. If anybody is in both and can share what a typical "tour" is, please let me know.

CGAux is a worthy organisation, much more closely-linked to the USCG than we are to the USAF.

They are unpaid volunteers, just as we are, and they have a system of insignia close to the USCG/Navy...but without the rank titles, and they do not salute one another, though they do salute military members.

It's kind of like CAP in that you really can't say what a typical flotilla (basic unit) is like.  Some are as operational as can be, and others are "let's talk about my boat" clubs.  Shop around, though with you being near the East Coast (and probably quite a few CG stations) you shouldn't have a problem finding one.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Rick-DEL

So, for an update.

I talked to the USAFR Sreening Center last night to inquire about the IMA program. I do not qualify for that gig because you must have a current AFSC, mine have "expired" due to the time I have been out of the service. So my 5 skill level in Acft. Maintenance (AD) and Security Forces (ANG) are back to a 1-level, therefore eliminating IMA as an option. But, I do however qualify for the USAFR as a traditional reservist through a special program for prior service who have challenges attending a long duration tech school (financially/family status/etc). I was wondering if any USAF Vets here worked in the Air Transportation field. This program in AT for the USAFR is 2 weeks long and held at Dobbins. And, my ASVABs from 84 are still strong enough to qualify, go figure....

If anybody is interested in IMA, here is some info: www.afrc.af.mil/shared/media/document/afd-080408-050.pdf

flyboy53

Air Transportation is what used to be called air cargo. It used to be a high-need bonus AFSC and could be accomplished through OJT instead of tech school. That is why it is probably being offered to you as an IMA Assignment.

I would go for that one. It's hard work, loading aircarft and screening pax, but very rewarding. In an Air Mobility Command unit, these are the guys and gals who paletize, load and unload the aircraft. They're also the ones who train to be parachute riggers. If it is still a bonus career field, there' may be extra money involved once you get qualified.

I served in a C-5A wing during Desert Storm. These guys worked round the clock and and many were depolyed into the forward operating area to receive the aircraft cargo.

Private Investigator

So, I started tossing the idea around about re-entering the service in a Guard/Reserve capacity. ...

Is this due to a midlife crisis? Or unemployment?

I solve my issues by buying a Corvette   8)

Rick-DEL

Quote from: Private Investigator on February 03, 2013, 05:10:43 PM
So, I started tossing the idea around about re-entering the service in a Guard/Reserve capacity. ...

Is this due to a midlife crisis? Or unemployment?

I solve my issues by buying a Corvette   8)

Not from unemployment, I get paid very well and would take a good size financial hit if deployed. I think it has more to do with finishing off something I had started decades ago. I miss that aspect of the life I once had. But, I also understand that I have different responsibilities now than I did back then. So, they weigh into any decision I make about anything in my life. Unless I get 100% support from the entire family, I do not pursue this, its not about me anymore. A lot of thinking went on this weekend with family, friends serving, and in church. I absorbed all points and views. It may be that I accept my time has come and gone. I served 7 years, and that can never be taking away from me. If I were needing like 5-6 years, I would probably do it. But 13 is a lot. And this world is not settling down. I'll figure it out.

In regard to a mid-life crises, possibly. Maybe a go find a 68 Camaro SS ragtop?

Private Investigator

^

I feel ya. I miss active duty too. But I decided to become rich. CAP is my way of giving back.

My brother got a 68 Camaro hardtop. Good call but I am a Dodge/Plymouth guy   ;)

The CyBorg is destroyed

I used to have a 1973 Mustang (the one with the real long nose).  I miss it. :(

Rick, does it matter to you whether your service is actually paid in money?  If so, SDF's are kind of the same bag as CAP and CGAUX.  It depends on the state, but most only get paid, if actually called to duty by their Governor.

Around the time I joined CAP, the SDF near where I lived tried pretty hard to recruit me.  It would have been into a Warrant Officer 1 position overseeing an armoury's computer operations.

However, the recruiter told me that I could not have dual CAP/SDF membership (YMMV, dependent on state).  He was the one who told me that there were funds "allocated" to pay SDF troops called to State Duty but that there were fairly stringent conditions under which a Governor would opt to do so; i.e., if a state's entire Guard were Federalised.

I had a conversation some years later with a dual membership CAP/ANG (AGR) MSgt.  I asked him who would manage the ANGB in the event his Wing was Federalised and sent overseas.

He frowned a bit and said (direct quote):

"I thought that was one thing that the Civil Air Patrol would do."
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Private Investigator

Quote from: CyBorg on February 06, 2013, 12:24:57 AM

If so, SDF's are kind of the same bag as CAP and CGAUX. 

The Mach 1 !!! I remember how excellent that was !!!

It depends on the SDF and YMMV. When I need my wife's birthday off, I need my wife's birthday off. With CAP I tried to be diligent, perfect attendance and whatever comes up. But if I am not available, I am not available. Moost Unit Commanders understand that.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Private Investigator on February 06, 2013, 09:12:53 AM
Quote from: CyBorg on February 06, 2013, 12:24:57 AM

The Mach 1 !!! I remember how excellent that was !!!

Actually, I didn't have the Mach 1.  I had the Grande, which was the coupe version (royal blue with a white ragtop).  351 Windsor...no gas mileage, but plenty of power.

Quote from: Private Investigator on February 06, 2013, 09:12:53 AM
With CAP I tried to be diligent, perfect attendance and whatever comes up. But if I am not available, I am not available. Moost Unit Commanders understand that.

I am going through an issue with that right now, and, frankly, I'm on the verge of leaving CAP, this time for good. >:(
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Private Investigator

Quote from: CyBorg on February 06, 2013, 11:13:28 PM
I am going through an issue with that right now, and, frankly, I'm on the verge of leaving CAP, this time for good. >:(

The downside of CAP is we really do not take care of our people. I am on the verge of semi-retirement I can not fly anymore so I might go USCG Aux.

Rick-DEL

I am thinking about CGAux myself. I'll need to visit a few flotillas to check them out. I have 5 in my region, but 3 of them are on the same night I have CAP. Those are the close ones of course.

I just got word yesterday afternoon from the US Navy Reserves that I was 5 months too old. I had submitted a pre-package for DOC into the DCOIC for IP and had passed through the first two screenings (because of my military/civilian experience, my degree/high GPA, and community service). I interviewed and it went well. The next step was to get to the MEPS for a physical and then sit to face a board of O-7's and stack up against the competition. But, when we were validating information (because I needed to commission before my "virtual" 42nd birthday) it was caught that the original screener had entered by DOB wrong. So, when it was corrected, I became 5 months too old, instantly. No waivers. Oh well, no guarantees I would have beat out the many other applicants (who are younger and many still in AD or reserves). It was worth a shot.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Private Investigator on February 07, 2013, 10:47:31 AM
The downside of CAP is we really do not take care of our people. I am on the verge of semi-retirement I can not fly anymore so I might go USCG Aux.

No, we really don't.  I tried to even as a Deputy Commander.

But now it seems that if there's some sort of dispute/curiosity with the regs...you're on your own.

CAP is a lot more "every man/woman for themselves (on the senior side, anyway)" than it was in the CGAUX.

I'm considering a return to the CGAUX...if they'd have me back after a four-year absence (I did leave on honourable terms)...at least there wouldn't be all the pissing contests WRT promotions.

I have thought of the NSCC, but I doubt they'd have much use for a 48-year-old ensign.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Rick-DEL

I have thought of the NSCC, but I doubt they'd have much use for a 48-year-old ensign.

What is the NSCC? Also, when you were in CGAux, how active was the flotilla with actually going out on the water or in the air?

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Rick-DEL on February 07, 2013, 03:44:25 PM

What is the NSCC? Also, when you were in CGAux, how active was the flotilla with actually going out on the water or in the air?

Navy Sea Cadet Corps

http://www.seacadets.org/public/

The flotilla I originally joined had a retired USCGR Lt Cdr running it, and he was very active in being out on the water.  I earned Vessel Crew through him.  I have never seen or met anyone in the AUXAIR section.  It is really quite small.

However, when I moved and wanted to transfer to another flotilla, the ones I found seemed to be "let's sit around and talk about my boat"..."Oh, you don't have a boat?  Why are you here?"
Exiled from GLR-MI-011