Corporate uniform and saluting

Started by NHAV8R, June 01, 2011, 08:43:10 PM

NHAV8R

Hi, I was wearing my white shirt corporate uniform and a cadet saluted me. I am not wearing a cover so I was wondering what the right procedure is?  ???
Steve Robbins 2dLT, CAP
Private Pilot SEL, Rotorcraft-Helicopter
USMC alumni

SARDOC

Eclipse

You return the salute.

Our courtesies are based on grade and membership status (senior vs. cadet), not which uniform we're wearing.

Cadets should be saluting seniors in the golf shirt combo.

"That Others May Zoom"

Phil Hirons, Jr.

The gray and whites are a military style uniform. Return (or initiate) a salute when appropriate.

HGjunkie

Quote from: Eclipse on June 01, 2011, 08:45:04 PM

IIRC, Shouldn't they also salute if they're in civvies?
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

The CyBorg is destroyed

It is never improper to salute, nor to return one.

About 15 years ago I was working an airshow as a First Lieutenant and an AFRES First Lieutenant whom I'd never met before saluted me.

I was a little perplexed and said "you don't have to salute me LT, and plus we're the same rank."  He said, "I know, but you're a fellow officer and I wanted to recognise that."  I thanked him and returned his salute.

In civvies...if a cadet salutes me I don't return the salute but I acknowledge and say something like "as you were," "carry on," etc.

I didn't think C&C's were required for the G/W...which is why some members wear it...it would be a lot better if there were authorised headgear (besides the baseball cap) for it.  I feel odd saluting outside without headgear.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

In certain circumstances, yes (i.e. on the bus to NCC, yes.  At the 7-11, no.)

Per CAPP 151
Rules for Saluting. It is a courtesy exchanged between members of the Civil Air Patrol when in military-style uniform as both a greeting and a symbol of mutual respect. As such, it is never inappropriate to salute another individual. The basic rules regarding saluting for CAP members are:
(1) You salute when in military-style uniform.
(2) You salute the President of the United States, all Medal of Honor recipients, and commissioned officers and warrant officers of the Armed Forces who are senior in rank to you.
(3) You do not salute when indoors unless you are formally reporting to an officer senior in rank to you.
(4) You salute when outdoors unless:
(a) You are carrying articles (or a heavy object) in both hands, which cannot be transferred to the left hand, or another legitimate reason such as injury, and so forth. In this case, an oral greeting should be exchanged, such as "Good Morning, Sir or Ma'am." If you are the lower ranking individual and the one you are approaching is higher in rank but whose arms are incapacitated, you will still salute.
(b) You are in a designated "covered" or "no salute" area, (aircraft marshalling areas and flightlines are "no salute" areas).
(c) You are a member of a military formation or a work detail (only the senior member of the formation or detail salutes).
(d) You are attending a public gathering such as a sports event.
(5) When on a military installation, you salute officers in government cars if the car has a flag or metal standard that identifies the rank of the occupant (usually general officers and military wing or base commanders).
(6) Military personnel are not required to render a salute to CAP personnel, but they are not restricted from doing so if they desire.

The CSU was officially designated as a military-style uniform by NHQ, so salutes are required for anyone in that combo. 

IMHO, anyone who would pick their uniform based on whether they have to salute needs an attitude adjustment. Saluting is part of the fun and
part of the culture of any paramilitary organization.

The expectation of being saluted is probably misguided ego, but the disdain for the tradition, or actively not saluting shows poor training and
a fundamental lack of understanding of the custom.

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Eclipse on June 01, 2011, 08:55:24 PM
Per obsoleteCAPP 151.[/i]

THE SALUTE
Key Principle
When outdoors and in uniform, cadets salute military officers, CAP senior members, and cadet officers higher in rank than themselves.
Senior members salute military officers and other CAP officers higher in rank than themselves.

Finer Points
• Salutes are normally exchanged only outdoors. Indoors, salute officers only when formally reporting (ie: when called forward to receive an award).
• The junior person initiates the salute a fair distance from the senior person such that the senior has time to return the salute.
• Offer a greeting such as, "Good morning, ma'am," when exchanging salutes.
• When in formation, do not salute unless commanded to present arms. The commander salutes for the unit if an officer approaches.
•When in uniform, salute officers upon recognition, regardless of what the officer is wearing. For example, uniformed cadets salute their
squadron commander even if that commander is in civilian attire. In such instances, the commander typically would verbally acknowledge
the salute, but not return it.
• On some installations, such as Maxwell AFB, home of CAP National Headquarters, it is common to see military officers from friendly nations. It is customary for CAP members to salute these international officers as a sign of goodwill.
• When in doubt, salute. Anyone may render a salute at any time if they believe one is warranted.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

The CyBorg is destroyed

The CSU was officially designated as a military-style uniform by NHQ, so salutes are required for anyone in that combo.

I know.  Maybe that's one reason it's being shot down. >:(

IMHO, anyone who would pick their uniform based on whether they have to salute needs an attitude adjustment. Saluting is part of the fun and part of the culture of any paramilitary organization.

Agreed, agreed.  But there are people in CAP who really don't like C&C's, who just want to fly, operate radios, fly, do GT, fly, operate a mission base, fly, be an IC...and fly.  I've known them, and they tend to gravitate toward non-AF type uniforms in my experience.

I've had CAP officers senior in grade to me in the G/W look at me like I'm from another planet (well, that's another issue... ;D) when I salute them.

In the polo shirt, unless I know them, it's impossible to tell their grade.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: jimmydeanno on June 01, 2011, 09:01:21 PM
• On some installations, such as Maxwell AFB, home of CAP National Headquarters, it is common to see military officers from friendly nations. It is customary for CAP members to salute these international officers as a sign of goodwill.

I saluted a Canadian Captain (T-33 pilot) at an airshow years ago...he looked a little perplexed at first but then returned it.

My former Squadron CC, who spent a lot of time at Maxwell, once told me, "I've seen Brits, Aussies, Germans, Dutch, Canadians, French, you name it, at Maxwell and I always salute them...I might be saluting a Corporal but at least I'm rendering proper courtesy."
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

Quote from: jimmydeanno on June 01, 2011, 09:01:21 PM
Per obsoleteCAPP 151.[/i]

THE SALUTE
Key Principle
When outdoors and in uniform, cadets salute military officers, CAP senior members, and cadet officers higher in rank than themselves.
Senior members salute military officers and other CAP officers higher in rank than themselves.

Finer Points
• Salutes are normally exchanged only outdoors. Indoors, salute officers only when formally reporting (ie: when called forward to receive an award).
• The junior person initiates the salute a fair distance from the senior person such that the senior has time to return the salute.
• Offer a greeting such as, "Good morning, ma'am," when exchanging salutes.
• When in formation, do not salute unless commanded to present arms. The commander salutes for the unit if an officer approaches.
•When in uniform, salute officers upon recognition, regardless of what the officer is wearing. For example, uniformed cadets salute their
squadron commander even if that commander is in civilian attire. In such instances, the commander typically would verbally acknowledge
• When in doubt, salute. Anyone may render a salute at any time if they believe one is warranted.

Good catch, and this is better. 

Note it now says "in uniform", the military uniform is no longer and issue, and also indicates a uniform is not always even required.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

You return the salute.

Our courtesies are based on grade and membership status (senior vs. cadet), not which uniform we're wearing.

I was under the impression that the Golf Shirt got a verbal acknowledgement.

lordmonar

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on June 01, 2011, 09:08:15 PM
You return the salute.

Polos do not have rank on them.....so no salutes required.

Not all SM's are officers and therefore do not rate salutes.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

jimmydeanno

Quote from: lordmonar on June 01, 2011, 09:37:34 PM
Quote from: USAFaux2004 on June 01, 2011, 09:08:15 PM
You return the salute.

Polos do not have rank on them.....so no salutes required.

Not all SM's are officers and therefore do not rate salutes.

Holy Bovine!  Could we please read:

Quote•When in uniform, salute officers upon recognition, regardless of what the officer is wearing. For example, uniformed cadets salute their squadron commander even if that commander is in civilian attire. In such instances, the commander typically would verbally acknowledge
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

lordmonar

If there is no rank....then I can't recognise them as officers....can I?

peter rabbit

Quote from: phirons on June 01, 2011, 08:45:42 PM
The gray and whites are a military style uniform. Return (or initiate) a salute when appropriate.

I agree with Cyborg - always return a salute and when in doubt, salute.

According to several sources, the gray/white is considered a CAP distinctive uniform and not a military style uniform. Playing of the National Anthem and performing the pledge of Allegiance should be with hand over heart just like the polo shirt.

Anyone have something different?

jimmydeanno

Quote from: lordmonar on June 01, 2011, 09:56:52 PM
If there is no rank....then I can't recognise them as officers....can I?

You don't know who the senior members are in your squadron?  When you were on Active Duty, you didn't know who your squadron commander was if he wasn't wearing his uniform?

People can play dumb all day, but the number of transient senior members at a local squadron are pretty low to non-existant, pulling the "I didn't know they were an officer" card is going to be pretty hard.

lordmonar

I did not salute my commander if he was not in uniform when I was on AD.

Not all senior members rate salutes....no matter what uniform they are wearing.....see SMWOG and CAP NCOs.

Sorry....not playing dumb....just ignoring a stupidly worded interpetaiton of an military tradition.......i.e. it was okay to salute YOUR commander if he was not in uniform....but not required.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: lordmonar on June 01, 2011, 10:12:46 PM
I did not salute my commander if he was not in uniform when I was on AD.

Not all senior members rate salutes....no matter what uniform they are wearing.....see SMWOG and CAP NCOs.

Sorry....not playing dumb....just ignoring a stupidly worded interpetaiton of an military tradition.......i.e. it was okay to salute YOUR commander if he was not in uniform....but not required.

How is it poorly worded?

If you're uniformed...

Salute Officers (excludes your SMWOGs and NCOs)

Upon Recognition (If you know who they are and they're an officer)

Regardless of what uniform they're wearing (clothes don't change what they are)

Seems pretty straight forward to me.  There isn't any confusion as to whether or not grade insignia are displayed, or different rules based on different uniforms, etc.  It's an easy to follow policy.

SARDOC

^typically WIWOAD If the Squadron Commander was in civvies it was typically just the verbal greeting.