2011 CAP Annual Conference and Winter National Board---NEWS

Started by ltcmark, March 01, 2011, 10:32:56 PM

ltcmark

I am getting an early jump on news thread from the Winter Boards.

Here is the link to video stream

http://www.capmembers.com/live/040311_wnb/

FW

It's the "2011 CAP Legislative Day and Winter National Board".  Seems there is a typo.  No big deal though; if you wish to go/watch the stream to the "CAP Annual Conference and NB meeting", you need to wait until August. ;)

NCRblues

I so wish i could go, but alas i will watch it on my computer while at work... >:D
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Eclipse

Quote from: FW on March 02, 2011, 01:06:24 AM
It's the "2011 CAP Legislative Day and Winter National Board".  Seems there is a typo.  No big deal though; if you wish to go/watch the stream to the "CAP Annual Conference and NB meeting", you need to wait until August.

In his defense, that is the subject line of the message NHQ sent out this afternoon, even though the name inside the message was correct.

"That Others May Zoom"

ltcmark

I just re-posted what was sent out.  The information is only as good as what was disseminated by NHQ ::)

FW

I know Mark. I'm just having a little fun.  Of all the things we need to worry about in CAP this is the least important.... ;D

Thanks for posting the link.

BillB

So where is the video of the National Board which was supposed to have started 5 minutes ago?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

CAP Producer

Quote from: BillB on March 04, 2011, 01:33:31 PM
So where is the video of the National Board which was supposed to have started 5 minutes ago?
Its on now.
AL PABON, Major, CAP

Fubar

I've seen bits and pieces and here are some random thoughts:

• Col Ward is an excellent speaker.
  • Col Ward admitted he had no idea what the Civil Air Patrol was when he was given the CAP-USAF command.
  • Col Lee gets mentioned by pretty much every speaker at some point.
  • The USAF invited CAP-USAF and CAP commanders to participate in some sort of command level discussion (I missed the particulars - I understood it to be important)
  • Maj Gen Courter stated SAR flight hours are way down because we're more efficient in finding aircraft/people. There was no mention of the fact 121.5 isn't monitored by satellite anymore.
  • The USAF provided funds out of their budget to purchase new vehicles. This tripled the number of vehicles CAP was able to purchase.
  • Brig Gen Carr didn't get the script ahead of time and almost presented himself with an award.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Fubar on March 04, 2011, 04:04:24 PM
I've seen bits and pieces and here are some random thoughts:

• Brig Gen Carr didn't get the script ahead of time and almost presented himself with an award.

Given that he's probably in the running for CAP/CC it's not surprising that he would have talked himself up a bit (or a lot). I didn't see it personally but that's what it sounds like.

Fubar

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on March 04, 2011, 04:06:36 PMGiven that he's probably in the running for CAP/CC it's not surprising that he would have talked himself up a bit (or a lot). I didn't see it personally but that's what it sounds like.

Actually he was reading the script given to him. Maj Gen Courter was presenting awards while Brig Gen Carr was reading from a script detailing why the people were getting the awards. Apparently he was unaware he was getting an award himself. The look on his face when he realized his own name was coming up in the script was amusing.

researchdoc

While watching this.. Safety presentation was given.. they stated that those watching online could get credit for watching it online....
FOR WHAT?
Which brings up a point.. since I am watching this online, is there any other credit that can be obtained from this?
Public Affairs Officer NC-022
22nd v2.0 Podcast:  http://burlcapcast.net.tf
NC-022 Website:  http://doubledeuces.org

davidsinn

Anybody else having issues streaming it? It is very choppy and loads about every 5-8 seconds so I can't follow what is being said.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: researchdoc on March 04, 2011, 04:37:27 PM
While watching this.. Safety presentation was given.. they stated that those watching online could get credit for watching it online....
FOR WHAT?
Which brings up a point.. since I am watching this online, is there any other credit that can be obtained from this?

Level III requires attendance at a Wing / Region / National Conference. My best guess.

EMT-83

Phil Hirons, Jr.

My guess was that was what was implied by the statement. I would not count video peeking as attendance

NCRblues

So, they are back from (lunch?) and i have no audio...anyone else with no sound?

Spaceman3750

Quote from: NCRblues on March 04, 2011, 06:48:41 PM
So, they are back from (lunch?) and i have no audio...anyone else with no sound?

Ditto.

NCRblues

this is the worst connection i have ever seen in my life.... i have tried different computers, work internet and home internet...

Why does CAP struggle with this every meeting?

Eclipse

Having tried to do this myself, I would be willing to guess it is more an issue of the poor / shared internet connection at the convention
center than anything CAP is doing. If they are just plugging into the hotel's system I'm surprised it works at all. Th upchannel on most
of those systems is usually 500k or less and the upstream is what video needs.

You'd generally have to bring in your own high-speed circuit for something like this to work well, and that is $$$

The better solution would be hosting the video on a service that has monster pipes and only needs a "decent" connection, but even then
you need a good upchannel.

"That Others May Zoom"