Main Menu

New NCR/CC??

Started by NCRblues, January 14, 2011, 02:14:09 AM

davidsinn

Quote from: JeffDG on January 15, 2011, 12:23:25 AM
Quote from: flyboy1 on January 14, 2011, 11:44:12 PM
Talk about a way of re-inventing the facts. The way that story's written, I really question his command capabilities. Sounds like he's ready to deploy to Iraq.

OK, I have no dog in this fight at all, not in the region, never been in any of the wings therein, never met the guy, could pass him on the street and have nary a clue who he is...

But you're willing to question is command capabilities because of how a reporter wrote a story?  Seriously?  Pray that someone like you never passes judgement on a story you become involved in, because press reports generally have only a passing semblance to what actually occurred.

There is the story and then there is his inability to follow the uniform manual which shows a disregard for the rules or an ignorance of the rules. Neither of which is a good quality for a region commander.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

1LtNurseOfficer

Quote from: A.Member on January 14, 2011, 07:03:56 PMThere is no such thing as "inactive reserve", especially as a pilot.  It's not a term we ever use in any context.

Umm.... The Army (at least) has the Inactive Ready Reserve.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: 1LtNurseOfficer on January 15, 2011, 02:38:19 AM
Quote from: A.Member on January 14, 2011, 07:03:56 PMThere is no such thing as "inactive reserve", especially as a pilot.  It's not a term we ever use in any context.

Umm.... The Army (at least) has the Inactive Ready Reserve.

All of the branches have an inactive reserve component. The point was that CAP doesn't. I really don't see why the Colonel's remark about being on "inactive reserve" is getting some people riled up so badly...

cap235629

"The second is as colonel and future commander of the North Central Region of the Civil Air Patrol, a branch of the U.S. Air Force."

"The Civil Air Patrol is responsible for almost all search-and-rescue missions in the United States."

EPIC FAIL
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

flyboy53

Quote from: JeffDG on January 15, 2011, 12:23:25 AM
Quote from: flyboy1 on January 14, 2011, 11:44:12 PM
Talk about a way of re-inventing the facts. The way that story's written, I really question his command capabilities. Sounds like he's ready to deploy to Iraq.

OK, I have no dog in this fight at all, not in the region, never been in any of the wings therein, never met the guy, could pass him on the street and have nary a clue who he is...

But you're willing to question is command capabilities because of how a reporter wrote a story?  Seriously?  Pray that someone like you never passes judgement on a story you become involved in, because press reports generally have only a passing semblance to what actually occurred.

I will certainly pass judgement, reporter or no reporter. I'm a former group commander and this man is an incoming region commander who commands far more assets and resources than I ever did.

Also, I have about 30 years experience in the broadcast and print medias: Don't just blame the reporter. Certainly a reporter can skew the facts based on his or her perspective. However, the reporter is only transferring to print what he was told. So, again no excuse.

Certainly NCR is in for quite a ride.

From past experience, you can tell an awful lot about how a person will command by the example he sets in his appearance and the tone of what he says in public. It sets the tone for those under his comamnd during his tenure as a commander. I would hope a true commander would honestly explain his duties and the missions of CAP because he sets the example, and his tone serves as a recruiting tool .... unless of course he knows something the rest of us don't know .... and then the entire organization is in for quite a ride.

JeffDG

Quote from: flyboy1 on January 15, 2011, 01:47:00 PM

From past experience, you can tell an awful lot about how a person will command by the example he sets in his appearance and the tone of what he says in public. It sets the tone for those under his comamnd during his tenure as a commander. I would hope a true commander would honestly explain his duties and the missions of CAP because he sets the example, and his tone serves as a recruiting tool .... unless of course he knows something the rest of us don't know .... and then the entire organization is in for quite a ride.

But that's the point.  You have not a clue what the new NCR/CC said to the reporter, only those out-of-context snippets the reporter and editor allowed to get into the story.

a2capt

...and if it gets into print/television/distribution and it's got points in it that have turned out to mis-represent, then it's the interviewee's responsibility to clarify that and take the opportunity to throw the reporter under the bus over it if need be.

But I'm leaning towards the side of "intent", after all.. a picture is worth a thousand words.  We'll see.

A.Member

Quote from: JeffDG on January 15, 2011, 02:24:07 PM

But that's the point.  You have not a clue what the new NCR/CC said to the reporter, only those out-of-context snippets the reporter and editor allowed to get into the story.
And likewise,  how do you know his comments are out of context?
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

JeffDG

Quote from: A.Member on January 16, 2011, 12:07:37 AM
Quote from: JeffDG on January 15, 2011, 02:24:07 PM

And likewise,  how do you know his comments are out of context?

Really?  I guarantee they are out of context.  Unless the entire interview transcript is printed, there will necessarily be some choosing of the quotes used.

That said, I find it disturbing that people are willing to hang a man who seems to have proven himself to at least two national commanders as qualified for the job he's beginning on the basis of a rather short and sloppily written news article.

caphornbuckle

A couple of things came to my attention when I read this thread and the article:

1 - Civil Air Patrol Wings do have a Reserve unit, usually with the XXX-XX-000 designator.  If he was inactive and assigned to this unit, he did state fact.

2 - The jacket may not be for uniform wear.  It could be something he has hanging on his chair or somewhere that the photographer took a snapshot of.  Notice it doesn't show any part of him in the jacket?  It is strange that the patches are out of whack, but is it wrong to have one at all?

3 - Sometimes we have to "dumb down" things when we talk to the press.  This is so both the reporter and the reader can better understand what is going on without having to spend more words (which is usually limited to a specific number) on explaining it.  Can you explain your history in roughly 700 words using simple, non-complex language?
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

SARDOC

Quote from: MICT1362 on January 14, 2011, 02:27:37 AM
How about the fact that the picture of his flight jacket has two uniform violations...

-Paramedic

I know he didn't buy that nameplate with the CAP design on it from Vanguard  >:D

A.Member

Quote from: JeffDG on January 16, 2011, 12:48:26 AM
That said, I find it disturbing that people are willing to hang a man who seems to have proven himself to at least two national commanders as qualified for the job he's beginning on the basis of a rather short and sloppily written news article.
No one is hanging him.  What is being asked is that, if indeed the reporter "got it wrong", he step-up and clarify the discrepencies in the story.   

Quote from: caphornbuckle on January 16, 2011, 05:28:56 AM
A couple of things came to my attention when I read this thread and the article:

1 - Civil Air Patrol Wings do have a Reserve unit, usually with the XXX-XX-000 designator.  If he was inactive and assigned to this unit, he did state fact.

2 - The jacket may not be for uniform wear.  It could be something he has hanging on his chair or somewhere that the photographer took a snapshot of.  Notice it doesn't show any part of him in the jacket?  It is strange that the patches are out of whack, but is it wrong to have one at all?

3 - Sometimes we have to "dumb down" things when we talk to the press.  This is so both the reporter and the reader can better understand what is going on without having to spend more words (which is usually limited to a specific number) on explaining it.  Can you explain your history in roughly 700 words using simple, non-complex language?
or....

Occam's Razor

As to the last part of your question, yes.  I can and often do explain the organization accurately and concisely.  Given his position, I expect he should be able to do so as well.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

NCRblues

I have made contact with the St. Louis post dispatch and asked if a clarification would be coming out. They stated "we have no idea, whats in the story is what he said, its a simple Q & A set". They also told me, i was not the only one to call and question this article.

It really amazes me that we have people in this organization that still automatically defend someone. Did we all not learn from the past national commander, that just because you are appointed a position, does not mean you are a saint?

I know that Col. Fagan and some of his staff read captalk, so, Colonel....If you truly have the best intrest in CAP, than call up the newspaper and ask for another interview. Clarify and remove some of the statements. When i was on the phone with the newspaper they said that they would be more than happy to do another one....

CAP at this moment needs openness and a steady leadership. Some of you will not believe me, but i know for a fact we are still on rocky ground with the AF. Plus with the budget constraints coming from congress, i believe this year will be a long drawn out battle on many levels....
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

tsrup

Quote from: NCRblues on January 17, 2011, 11:03:52 PM
Some of you will not believe me, but i know for a fact we are still on rocky ground with the AF.

Can you clarify this?
Paramedic
hang-around.

Major Carrales

Yes, let's see some fact and substantial evidence to show that "rocky ground."  Making statements like that requires documentation...if not, it's a lie at worst and a rumor at best.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

NCRblues

Quote from: Major Carrales on January 17, 2011, 11:38:46 PM
Yes, let's see some fact and substantial evidence to show that "rocky ground."  Making statements like that requires documentation...if not, it's a lie at worst and a rumor at best.

There is no documentation. I have conversations with people in the know, and they are not happy about a few appointments and happenings on the NEC and NB. Simple as that, but thanks for calling me a lier.

>:(

and if you really need to know details, you can PM me and i will give you what i can. I will not tarnish the trust some of these people have placed in me, but i will tell you what i can.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

FW

Now boys, please be nice.... ::)

We are not on "rocky ground" with the Air Force however, we do need to get our act together at a "certain level" of our leadership... :-[

The fact that the BoG is willing to spend $100k out of our piggy bank to study our future governance is significant.  The Fact that there have been multiple complaints about the BoG and certain members of our National Leadership is significant and, the fact that we most likely will not be getting that  $4 million plus up this year is significant. >:(

Now that Col Fagan IS the NCR/CC, I truly hope he can help solve some of the issues facing us.  Name calling is really counterproductive. :(

Eclipse

Angels and Saints preserve us we are all a bunch of old women kvetching in the church basement about Millie's new hat (poster included).

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on January 18, 2011, 03:55:46 PM
Angels and Saints preserve us we are all a bunch of old women kvetching in the church basement about Millie's new hat (poster included).

But it's purple and we're all wearing green!

FARRIER

Its closer to pink..... :)

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on January 18, 2011, 07:47:46 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on January 18, 2011, 03:55:46 PM

But it's purple and we're all wearing green!
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace